PDA

View Full Version : Grid Failed Error

riki
10-09-2003, 03:13 AM
Earlier today Modeler crashed my HD while attempting to use Stipple on a Box object.

Now when I try to use Stipple again I'm getting an error message "Grid Failed".

I've trashed my prefs, reinstalled all my plugins. No Joy.

I then replaced the Stipple Plugin with a backed up version on my extrenal Firewire drive. Still same error message.

Then I just Replace the whole Lightwave APP Folder and still same error. "Grid Failed"

I even launched Modeler from the external drive and got the same message.

Any idea what's up??

I'm using LW7.5c OS9.2

Beamtracer
10-09-2003, 04:50 AM
Riki, you're still using OS9!!! I think you are the last Lightwave user still working on this historic operating system.

I wish I could help, but I don't think I even remember the faults that came with OS9. I've never seen such an error message in OS X.

riki
10-09-2003, 05:05 AM
haha it's on my list of thing to do :)

DoF
10-09-2003, 06:28 AM
...and I'm still using LW on 9.1 because I can't upgrade the Sonnet Crescendo G3 card. Wish I could afford to haul my 'Wavin into the 21st Century!

riki
10-09-2003, 07:44 AM
uuuugghh damn Beam what have you done to me. I just installed OSX wish I had some idea what was going on :)

I've only got 10.1 but I guess that got to be better than 9.2??

paintboy
10-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Riki
X.1.5 worked pretty darn well for me as far as LW goes,for a good while.
in fact if it wasnt for having stuff that requiresX.2 i would probably still be there.
hang in there...X is sort of a brainf_ck at first but well worth the troubles
where LW is concerned IMO.

riki
10-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Thanks PB. Well I got the internet up and running if that counts for anything. Looks like I'll in for a long 3 day weekend, starting from now :)

mlinde
10-09-2003, 10:06 AM
For those of you just jumping into OS 10, the best guide I can think of is Mac OS X: The Missing Manual.

It has some basic information that may be below you, but it has good sections on making the transition, getting started with the UNIX terminal, reviews of the System Preferences and included applications, even a suggested Extensions Manager setup for running Classic. I still refer back to it once in a while.

riki
10-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks Mlinde, I was up late last night playing around with the Terminal trying to trash some locked files. Everything seems to be going well. Got OS9 running off the Firewire drive and a clean install of X on my G4.

Is it possibel to upgrade OS10.1 to 10.1.5 ? I found a Combo Upgrade last night but when I tried to install it brings up an error message saying that I need to upgrade the installer.

toby
10-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Awright! He finally did it! Don't ask him why he took so long, he'll be asking himself that very soon!

OK Newtek, he's 'switched', you can drop OS9 now :D

I'm sure you can find the Installer upgrade on Apples website, somewhere. May be more than a 3 day weekend -

Let us know how it goes or if we can help

riki
10-10-2003, 01:04 AM
OK Newtek, he's 'switched', you can drop OS9 now

LOL haha feels like the end of an era. Damn it took me ages to finally dump Netscape 4.78 :)

toby
10-10-2003, 01:17 AM
uhhhh...well, as a matter of fact I kept using Netscape 4.7x in Classic until Safari came along, it was BETTER than ALL the OSX browsers! They stunk! Netscape 6/7, Opera, and of course IE.

Safari beats every browser ever made, ( NO pop-ups and almost never crashes ) but you have to be running 10.2 :) It never ends does it!?

I've been wanting to post this for weeks:

paintboy
10-10-2003, 07:39 AM
riki
i may be wrong(and i am sure someone will point it out if i am=)
but i think you had to be at X.1.3 before you can use the X.1.5 combo updater.
i think..... i have all of the updaters archived, if you need something you cannot find from apple just lemme know.(they dont exactly makae the older stuff easy to find.)
seeya good luck

bloontz
10-10-2003, 07:53 AM
This may be what you need, not sure.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120136
Says it has installer update 1.0.

paintboy
10-10-2003, 08:49 AM
HEy toby,
based on your recomendation i switched to safari today....jeez what a difference.
this thing's "da bomb"blazing fast.
The Exporer logo just got "poofed" from the dock forever! man wouldnt you love it if LW worked like this on the mac....hope springs eternal=)thanks!

mlinde
10-10-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by riki
Is it possibel to upgrade OS10.1 to 10.1.5 ? I found a Combo Upgrade last night but when I tried to install it brings up an error message saying that I need to upgrade the installer.

If you have a hot (always on, cable/DSL) network connection, you can use Software Update (System Preferences) to update, I think. There was a problem early on with security in OS 10.1, you need to download a security patch (I think "bloontz" put up a link) before your Software Update will work again. I'mm still running 10.1.5 on my aging 8500/G3, it's a nice version of the OS. Of course, I'm all over the board here. My G4 is on 10.2.6, my iBook is on the 2nd 10.2.8, my G3 is on 10.1.5, and my PCs are running Win2K .

riki
10-10-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks bloontz your a life saver. Yep mlinde that did the trick. I made it too 10.1.5. I guess I'd be pushing my luck to get freebie off the Apple site for 10.2 :)

bloontz
10-10-2003, 09:33 AM
I think you gotta pay for 10.2

paintboy
10-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Bloontz is right...to get Jaguar(x.2)
you gotta get yer wallet out, and if i was gonna do that i would go straight to panther. same price.

bloontz
10-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Depending on what hardware you have you might want to wait a bit to get panther to see what kind of problems turn up. They are saying upgrade cards aren't supported for instance, though I would expect most should work.

riki
10-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Yeah 10.2 is a "Reference Release" so I'll be waiting for 10.3

I've noticed some really cool features with the new OS. Just a few probs that I still have to get sorted. The biggest one at the moment might seem trival but I rely pretty heavily on it. And that's colour coded lables for files.

In OS 9 I used colour coding extensively through all my client work, to indicate which files I'd worked on, files that need to be deleted off the server that sort of thing.

Now I'm in a bit of a mess working out how to get around that. It was a really useful feature in 9.

Anyway will work something out.

toby
10-11-2003, 12:02 PM
There's a bunch of stuff on the web to make OSX look like OS9, I don't know if labels is one of them but it 's worth a look - I've seen some on C-net - I had one app that displayed all your running applications in the top-right corner like OS9

bloontz
10-11-2003, 02:26 PM
Here's a shareware solution, I'm sure there aare others
http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/labels/

toby
10-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by paintboy
HEy toby,
based on your recomendation i switched to safari today....jeez what a difference.
this thing's "da bomb"blazing fast.
The Exporer logo just got "poofed" from the dock forever! man wouldnt you love it if LW worked like this on the mac....hope springs eternal=)thanks!

Another soul redeemed! Did you find the "Block Pop-up windows"? It's about time somebody added that! I own the browser, not the Penis Enlargement companies. IE will have something like this soon, like when hell freezes over :D M$ would never do something so anti-marketing

Great link Bloontz - thanks

btw I just surfed the Panther pages at Apple and Labels are back.

riki
10-11-2003, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the link bloontz, just what I needed. Great also to hear that they're coming back with 10.3

Another feature that I liked about OS9 is that you could drop a folder of wallpaper images onto the Appearances Control Panel and it would display a random pix each time you rebooted. I'm sure there must be something like this in X

Also I found a copy of Glider Pro for X. Damn I remember playing that years ago. A great time waster :)

noiseboy
10-12-2003, 02:14 AM

Another feature that I liked about OS9 is that you could drop a folder of wallpaper images onto the Appearances Control Panel and it would display a random pix each time you rebooted. I'm sure there must be something like this in X

System Prefs>desktop>choose your pictures folder>select change option.
I'm not sure whether this is 10.2 only

riki
10-12-2003, 03:47 AM
Yeah must be just 10.2 oh well, that's progress I guess. One step forward, one step backward :)

paintboy
10-12-2003, 09:22 AM
riki.
the the random Pics thing is still there
under Sys pref/screeneffects/pictures/

anything in your user/pictures/folder
that screensaver can read the file type of
jpegs,picts etc. gets used.
seeya

riki
10-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Thanks PB. Is it a screensaver or a single random image that gets used as wallpaper each time you reboot?

Here's another cool OS9 style APP MENU

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/asm.html

toby
10-12-2003, 01:04 PM
yea, that's the one I used to have -

Startup Screen is Riki's talking about. Kind of pointless now that we hardly ever reboot :cool:

riki
10-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Yeah I guess also that it was kind of a hidden feature on 9 so easily overlooked.

BTW does anyone know how to get a folder to show you how many files it contains?

toby
10-12-2003, 08:09 PM
open a folder and go to Views/Show status bar

Also check out Views/Customize Toolbar

riki
10-12-2003, 08:21 PM
aaahhh that was an easy one. Many thanks :)

The only other thing I desperately need now is a decent File Typer. I use to have one that would let me create custom droplets to batch process the creator codes for certain files.

I've found a few options on the web.

re

http://www.gideonsoftworks.com/filexaminer.html
http://www.frederikseiffert.de/filetype/
http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderCreatorsAndTypes/

Anyone other recommendations?

bloontz
10-12-2003, 08:42 PM
OSX uses the file name extension (.jpg, .lwo, etc) to associate files with apps. Good idea to get used to adding the appropriate extensions. Lots of little things to get used to when switching from OS9.

riki
10-12-2003, 08:57 PM
yeah I always add the correct file extensions. But I'm still finding probs with things like text files.

I have some files which were created with Simple Text and have shtml file extensions (needed for the web server). They contain html code fragments that are used with SSI. I'd prefer to edit these files in something BBEdit, just worried about using textEdit which might insert some unwanted rtf code.

bloontz
10-12-2003, 09:04 PM
If you control click on the file and select -OpenWith/Other there is a checkbox for "Always Open With" which will set an association for a file extension. Yeah, I used to rely heavily on file type/creator too.

riki
10-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Thanks bloontz that seems to work fine. I'm going to keep my eye out for a droplet maker becuase I often process multiple files back and forth between diff APPS.

bloontz
10-13-2003, 10:13 AM
I would think that it should be possible to make an applescript that changes the file extension to application binding. It's probably just an entry in a hidden database somewhere. That way you could have simple droplets that switch specific bindings to what you want. More efficient than batch changing file attributes.

riki
10-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Here's my latest crisis, how can I cget the finder to display files that begin with a period, such as

.htaccess that sort of thing??

mlinde
10-15-2003, 06:33 PM
Here's my latest crisis, how can I cget the finder to display files that begin with a period, such as

.htaccess that sort of thing??
You can't. But you can see them with the terminal, if you browse to the directory and list the files.

bloontz
10-15-2003, 06:49 PM
If you have BBEdit for OS X it has a open hidden command (at least version 6.5 does). I assume ya know to be careful with hidden system files.

This is a kind of useful tool-
http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

riki
10-15-2003, 06:51 PM
eeerr what a pain, so when I'm building a website for 50 different clients I have to remember where I placed .htaccess files. I'm sure there must be a better way. I can see the files on the server in Fetch. The Terminal doesn't look so User friendly.

Edit: Cool thanks bloontz that works, I have BBEDit Lite 6.1

bloontz
10-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Tinker tool will allow you to show hidden files but just be aware that you could mess up your system if you accidently do something to a sytem file.

riki
10-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks bloontz yeah I realise that. Ideally I'd like to be able to see my files and ignore any system files. Here's one solution if anyones interested.

http://golive.didierlaget.com/tips/

riki
10-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Hey bloontz have you ever noticed this problem. When you click on an item in a folder which is set to List View, the files just to the left. I made a small quicktime to show what I mean.

It's only 52k

Has anyone else had this prob?

bloontz
10-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Riki, I can't seem to open the attachment. I tried on a pc and a mac.

toby
10-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Hey bloontz have you ever noticed this problem. When you click on an item in a folder which is set to List View, the files just to the left.

YEA! That drove me crazy - I use list view the same way, window contracted to show only the file names. The fix is to re-size the 'name' column so it fits completely in the window like this:

riki
10-15-2003, 10:09 PM
oops sorry about that. Here's a web version

http://www.suture.net/files/bugs_me.mov (68k)

Probably not much that can be done about it, just annoys the hell out of me.

riki
10-15-2003, 10:14 PM
aaah thanks toby, you got it. Someone at Apple probably thought it was really clever. Was driving me crazy :)

toby
10-15-2003, 10:19 PM
I had to live with that for 6 months before I figured it out!

I don't think they realize how efficient it is to use the small window of list view - therefore I can't really expect them to fix it :eek:

bloontz
10-15-2003, 10:20 PM
yep, there a a few things like that that annoy me about the os x file system