PDA

View Full Version : LW with Trackpad, any good?

raw-m
07-18-2011, 10:08 AM
As the title suggests! Being a designer I pretty much use a wacom exclusively but with the soon-to-be released Lion it looks like a Trackpad would be quite handy. Does it play well with LW? I find the selecting/deselecting of points in Modeller or the graph editor a really fiddly business with the wacom, especially simulating the RMB menus. I have a feeling the Trackpad might be equally as fiddly but thought I'd ask before forking out 60!

PS, on a similar note, don't suppose anyone has tried LW on Lion (I won't tell!).

Danner
07-18-2011, 01:07 PM
hmm... I bought a wacom a few years ago, it was a glorified mouse pad, I used it only for 2 things in LW, selecting points and creating new points.. everything else I used a mouse. So I was surprised to hear that what I found easiest you seem to struggle with.

I almost gave up on the tablet. I had a hard time in layout with the tablet. I wanted to select an item and ended up moving it, so annoying! But I mapped the top button on the pen to "middle button" of a mouse and it works great now. (also cool for web browsing since I can quickly scroll and open new tabs with it) The mouse is starting to gather dust.

Lightwolf
07-18-2011, 01:14 PM
I haven't used the trackpad... but if it's anything like a laptop trackpad then I'll stay clear of it.

Wacom all the way - LMB mapped to a tap, MMB to the lower rocker switch and RMB to the upper rocker. I even use a small Bamboo on the dev machine - for coding.

Cheers,
Mike

raw-m
07-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks all, that's interesting. I haven't really thought about mapping the mouse buttons to the pen buttons. I disabled it a while ago as I kept accidentally hitting when making selections and forgot all about it! I'll give it another go. Trackpad-wise, I know curiosity will get the better of me and I'll probably end up buying it anyway. Damn you Steve Jobs!

ken_g9
07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
If you plan to get a Magic Trackpad solely for LW, then don't. I have both an Intuos and a Magic trackpad, I just use the trackpad when using it for web browsing. But for LW or any serious graphics work, I use the Wacom Intuos. I switched from a mouse to a pen tablet around 3 years ago due to wrist strain and never looked back.