PDA

View Full Version : LW 10 Surface Presets?

daz1761
07-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Hello

I have not had LW10 that long and decided to have a play with the surface presets and come across a few that didnt seem to work

The Chrome preset doesnt seem to do anything and the Sliver_RayTrace can't find the image that it needs in order to work

I have tried using the VPR view mode and rendered a frame and the Chrome looks nothing like it does in the surface presets window, i have also made sure that casting shadows on bigger objects is turned off

Many thanks

rcallicotte
07-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Don't know LW well enough to all the answers, but have you tried something as simple as updating your OpenGL drivers? Just a possibility

daz1761
07-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Hello

Thanks for that, i have not updated anything since having LW10. How do you update the OpenGL driver?

I am using a MacBook Pro

Thanks

SteveH
07-17-2011, 04:17 PM
You have to have something for the chrome to reflect. Add in a sky and ground and ray trace reflections andyour preset should look very good.

daz1761
07-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Would this experiment work do you think?

Creating a huge Primitive Box, Flipping the polygons, adding a ground and roof surface (Metal for bottom poly and a sky image for top).

Then place a simple Primitive Ball within the box and adding the Chrome Preset

Thanks

TalleyJC
07-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Would this experiment work do you think?

Creating a huge Primitive Box, Flipping the polygons, adding a ground and roof surface (Metal for bottom poly and a sky image for top).

Then place a simple Primitive Ball within the box and adding the Chrome Preset

Thanks

Just put in a backdrop image... and make sure ray trace reflections are on... no need for the primative box

daz1761
07-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Just put in a backdrop image... and make sure ray trace reflections are on... no need for the primative box

Thanks

Does anyone know why some surface presets have missing images as i mention in the beginning of the thread?

Thanks

JamesCurtis
07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
The images themselves may not actually be missing. The scene load file can occasionally miss finding a texture if the Content directory isn't set properly. The auto find scene load feature isn't always perfect in my experience.

gordonrobb
07-19-2011, 02:20 AM
A lot of the presets use image maps that are from original content, so if your contect directory structure is changed, or your scene changes your content directory, you need to point it the the right image.

daz1761
07-19-2011, 08:01 AM
The images themselves may not actually be missing. The scene load file can occasionally miss finding a texture if the Content directory isn't set properly. The auto find scene load feature isn't always perfect in my experience.

A lot of the presets use image maps that are from original content, so if your contect directory structure is changed, or your scene changes your content directory, you need to point it the the right image.

That explains why then, so next time i load a preset that requires a missing image map, i should navigate to the appropriate folder on my hard drive and hopefully it will be there

Many thanks

prometheus
07-19-2011, 09:28 AM
absolutly ..just find your content/image folder..

Image attached..
my sample of folder content...those are the images that the silver and gold surfaces are looking for.

Mind you that those are quite old ..and you could set up better stuff with hdr reflection images, or add hdr reflections on the environment tab and activate raytrace+spherical map or raytrace+ backdrop.

Michael

dwburman
07-19-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't think the surface presets have been updated in at least 5 years... maybe 10 or more.

prometheus
07-19-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't think the surface presets have been updated in at least 5 years... maybe 10 or more.

Lol...I would gladely let them incorporate my Hv presetīs for explosions wich are up on preset central, but I need to improve them a little, and then of course..
Newtek can only use them under the rules that they update and improve the hypervoxel system in upcoming versions as soon as possible, mainly with distance between particles parameters and metaball blending and a fire shader:D

and then thereīs skytracer...ehh..wonīt go there yet:D

Michael

daz1761
07-20-2011, 05:38 AM
absolutly ..just find your content/image folder..

Image attached..
my sample of folder content...those are the images that the silver and gold surfaces are looking for.

Mind you that those are quite old ..and you could set up better stuff with hdr reflection images, or add hdr reflections on the environment tab and activate raytrace+spherical map or raytrace+ backdrop.

Michael

Thanks very much, I have actually had a play with the reflections using raytrace + spherical map by just creating a simple glossy ball and using a cloud image to reflect, very interesting but simple at the same time :)

I just thought I would play with the presets as I had problems with them when using LW9.6, like you say you could probably come up with better ones.

Cheers

daz1761
07-20-2011, 05:39 AM

Well that definitely explains things a bit better lol