PDA

View Full Version : Controlling intensity of multiple lights

JeffrySG
07-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Is there a way or what is the best way to control the intensity of 10 or 20 lights with one setting? Can I link them all to a slider or to a null somehow? I know I can select all of the lights and adjust the intensity but that is not what I want to do.

Ideally I'd like to have one main light that all of the 'child' lights will match the main light's intensity. It would be best if the solution only used native LW tools or free Mac/PC tools. :)

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas!

Dexter2999
07-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Use FOLLOWER in the Graph editor?

dwburman
07-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Yes. That is possible. :)

I put together a little vid recently that shows two ways to do this with morphs, but the principle is the same. You'll just be using light intensity envelopes instead of morph mixer envelopes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7aHwXnDZI9E#t=119s - Here's a link that skips the modeling phase and gets right to the linking phase.

JeffrySG
07-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Hey thanks guys. I'll look into both of those options. :)

raw-m
07-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Bryphi has something that might be useful, starting about 4mins in:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bryphi77#p/c/72527C7320A9F41B/7/GC_Cml4zdu4

raw-m
07-16-2011, 02:40 AM

JeffrySG
07-16-2011, 07:23 AM

Which tutorial is this supposed to link to? It's been taking me to a logo exploding but I don't think that's the one you wanted to link to. He has so many vids I'm not sure which on you were referencing.

Thanks for the help. :)

raw-m
07-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Sorry JeffrySG, was sure I checked it worked! It's the Art Gallery, part 3, vid 1 from about 3 mins.

JeffrySG
07-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Sorry JeffrySG, was sure I checked it worked! It's the Art Gallery, part 3, vid 1 from about 3 mins.

Cheers! I'll check them out!

JeffrySG
07-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Use FOLLOWER in the Graph editor?

There doesn't seem to be a way to use FOLLOWER to follow 'light intensity' unfortunately. :(

(hey, where's your avatar?)

@Dana: I'm looking at your solution next... I'll probably have questions! ;)

JeffrySG
07-16-2011, 09:15 PM

It was actually the correct link. It worked fine on my desktop just now but for some reason wasn't linking correctly on my iPad. Thanks again for the links!

Dexter2999
07-16-2011, 09:33 PM
There doesn't seem to be a way to use FOLLOWER to follow 'light intensity' unfortunately. :(

(hey, where's your avatar?)

@Dana: I'm looking at your solution next... I'll probably have questions! ;)

You have to check "Envelope" on the first light properties panel for light intensity. Then intensity shows up as an option in the Graph editor. Then you can click on the Modifier tab of the Graph editor and add Channel Follower (Light(1):Intensity)

And it works. I tried it out before I posted that answer. (It embarasses me to post an answer as fact and find out I'm wrong...I'd rather admit I when I am guessing.)

Then you can get fancy and add a slider to adjust the intensity of Light(1) and all the rest will follow. (I didn't get this to work right but that is probably just me. Also occurs to me that you could just set all Intensity channels to follow the slider as well?)

I guess the next step is doing it for RGB channels of the light so you can color mix all your lights.

EDIT:: I forgot to mention that the follower doesn't work as a 1 to 1 value replacement as I expected. It seems to be additive (i.e. when I set light(1) to 44% the others went to 144%.) So to get the effect to look proper I had to set the initial intensity of the cloned lights to zero. But this might be better fixed with the "scale" value in the channel follower but I don't anything about that and didn't play with it.

JeffrySG
07-17-2011, 07:31 AM
^Thanks Dexter. I'll go back and look at all of that. Cheers!

That seems to be working perfectly now. Thanks so much! Didn't even think to click on the envelope button for my main light. And thanks for the info about the 'additive' info on the intensity. :D

Dexter2999
07-17-2011, 01:14 PM
For anyone else here is a scene with it set up and a small avi (zipped) to demonstrate.

ramccombe
07-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Hi gang, I saw this post and decided to use the challenge to learn. As was pointed out Follower has an odd behavior however I found that Relativity (Rel_Channeler) works as one would expect. I attached a scene to deconstruct. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

JeffrySG
07-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi gang, I saw this post and decided to use the challenge to learn. As was pointed out Follower has an odd behavior however I found that Relativity (Rel_Channeler) works as one would expect. I attached a scene to deconstruct. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Cool. I'll definitely check this out tomorrow. Thx for posting it. :)

Dexter2999
07-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Played with it some more. Same problem with Follower when you apply it to color channels. You have to set the clone to 0,0,0 then apply Channel Follow for the color to match.

But then you can have RGB sliders to adjust color envelopes and that was kinda cool but I don't know how useful.

JeffrySG
07-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Played with it some more. Same problem with Follower when you apply it to color channels. You have to set the clone to 0,0,0 then apply Channel Follow for the color to match.

But then you can have RGB sliders to adjust color envelopes and that was kinda cool but I don't know how useful.

It's times like this that I really miss having instancing in LW (natively). It's really a shame that we need to resort to workarounds like this. :(

Dexter2999
07-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, the upside is you set it up on the first clone, then clone the clone and all the setting travel with it.

Cageman
07-30-2011, 05:04 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121249

:)

JeffrySG
07-31-2011, 12:05 AM
That's great, Cageman! thanks for the video!!