PDA

View Full Version : BNC over IP

rtcomtv
07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I would like to get a video stream from either the Composite (BNC) or Component (BNC) video outputs on our Tricaster Studio delivered via IP to a distant, remote video encoder.

We have the Tricaster already delivering a medium resolution stream to our Flash Media Server for web delivery. But we also want to ingest this Composite or Component (BNC) steam into our IPTV system's encoder that is located in our data center.

Is there an over IP solution that can spit out the same high quality component/composite BNC feed to our distant encoder?

pro---studio
07-16-2011, 04:30 PM
If this would be possible, why would you use a special IPTV encoder at your station?

You can use a stellite uplink that does something about 5-8MBit for SD and up to 20MBit HD. but this is not near the uncompressed component quality. And it is expensive.

You could get a decent Video-IP encoder that compresses the stream before you send it through a tunnel over the internet to your station. But you will always lose quality. And have in mind that the Internet is not a controlled zone. You cannot control the route of your IP-packets. If there is a slow connection somwhere on the way it reduces your maximum possible bitrate.

Allthough this is acceptable if your IPTV station compresses the stream agin to a lower bitrate.

Regards

pro.

ZachSchuster
07-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Without knowing more details of ypur situation, its hard to offer the best solution. Can you define "distant encoder?" Are you inside the same building, or are you in a different building? If you have the means of a direct point A to point B cat5 or fiber optic, there are some options for uncompressed transmission. If that's not possible, options are much more limited. For example, if your datacenter is in a different building on a corporate campus, there might be unused fiber optic lines running to the datacenter.

There are others that speak to IP options, but as pro studio said, there are limitations.

kltv
07-17-2011, 09:50 PM
We've used a few IP-based encoders before. At my old job we used Minerva VNP encoders to send video back from city council chambers over the city network, up to 12 megabits I think. It worked pretty well, but they had a fast fiber network between us and the city that could keep up with it. We also sent camera control down the same fiber over ethernet. We actually went SDI in on those, but they were capable of composite or S-video input. I think Vbrick makes similar products as well.

http://www.vbrick.com/products/capture/mpeg-encoder.asp

Kris

Brian Mirrlees
07-18-2011, 06:30 AM
You could also check out products from Haivision (encoder/decoders...)

http://www.haivision.com/