PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon...a new LW plug-in...free...

Stranahan
10-08-2003, 11:45 PM
That's a teaser...

But in the meantime, if anyone has Layout of Modeler configs they have designed and are willing to share, can you please UL them to this thread?

You'll see...

WizCraker
10-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Wouldn't happen to do with an easier way to change between .cfg files would it?

Stranahan
10-09-2003, 12:16 AM
...be patient...

hhehehehehhehehe

riki
10-09-2003, 01:25 AM
Here's my Modeler Menu Config

riki
10-09-2003, 01:27 AM
And the file.

zarti
10-09-2003, 01:45 AM
NT should open any section @LW webpage for every kind
of presets that LW uses. =0

zarti
10-09-2003, 01:46 AM
here we are............

Stranahan
10-09-2003, 08:25 AM
The wait is over...

Annoucing a new free plug-in...it's in 'beta' because it's new, so please send comments..

http://www.learnlightwave.com/interface_builder.htm

Karmacop
10-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Lee, looks good, I'll try it tomorrow when I have some time.

Just a question/suggestion though. In the modeler interface if you click on modeler>commands> edit startup command... you can make a plugin run everytime modeler is started. Could Kevin write a script that was like .. a login script? ie it pops up an interface asking which menu setting you want to use? Just an idea ...

anieves
10-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop

Just a question/suggestion though. In the modeler interface if you click on modeler>commands> edit startup command... you can make a plugin run everytime modeler is started. Could Kevin write a script that was like .. a login script? ie it pops up an interface asking which menu setting you want to use? Just an idea ...

Thats pretty good idea Karmacop
I cann't wait to get home and give this plug a try.

Bones_3DFC
10-09-2003, 09:23 AM
I am admittedly scared and lazy.
It seems very intriguing.
I'm excited and willing to experiment/give feedback once I've
seen "coming soon - video documentation" as stated at the page.

But I'm not trying to rush you in that direction. I'm just being a chicken. :)

lede
10-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Wow Lee you've been really busy. First the Lightwave Tutorials and now this plus all your classes, whats next?

Thanks for the tool. Can't wait to try it out. Just wondering does this also save your short-cut key's?

-lede

mindseye
10-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Sweet!... I was just talking with my guys here yesterday about wishing we could have more control of the modeler interface. We'll be digging into this right away.

Thanks!!!

Stranahan
10-09-2003, 09:45 AM
What's next is a LightWave[8] book, written by me, Larry Shultz and Kevin Phillips...

And more plug-ins...

and more video tutorials...

and classes of all kinds in Austin, Texas...

and Digital Fusion / DFX+ weekends in select cities...

and the final dates of the Worldwide Community Tour...

Bones_3DFC
10-09-2003, 10:07 AM
<self-promotion>
If I relocate to Austin can I sweep your floors, empty waste-baskets,
build up your web presence and assist with tours and other community-driven
activities, including PR work?
We could call me "a Learning Lightwave Learning Apprentice."
</self-promotion>

Just a thought. I really don't like snow.

Stranahan
10-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Sure...I just don't know if I can pay you...

But interns are good...and there's no snow here...just 100 degree weather a couple of months out of the year...

robinson
10-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Stranahan

But interns are good...and there's no snow here...just 100 degree weather a couple of months out of the year...

take me, take me. :p

thanks for the plug, it's working great over here.

Bones_3DFC
10-09-2003, 10:20 AM

100 degrees? Oh yes, my favorite two weeks in August, here ;)
Well if interns sleep at the shop at night, free of charge, I'm there! :)

Stranahan
10-09-2003, 10:22 AM
You should read my (unifinished) article on How To Live In Your Car....it's at www.Stranahan.com

Bones_3DFC
10-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Holy flippin' flippity flip.
I've found you! My Liberal Soul Brother!
We look alike and even traditionally draw ourselves similarly.
http://www.3dfightclub.com/~bones/uploads/me_traditional_007_nt.jpg

I've lived in a car...and a semi-truck and even..Florida :(
I currently leech my existance and residence from my wife :) :)

Stranahan
10-09-2003, 10:58 AM
That's funny...

Although I think technically my wife leeches off me.

Bones_3DFC
10-09-2003, 11:07 AM
ooooops. ok so you didn't draw that. Just read up on Lauren's tattoo.
Oh and please tell Shane I think his Mohawk was awesome.

Well this was a fun thread but maybe I'm going too far. Better save replies for more on-topic things.

sketchyjay
10-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Hmmm.... after reading the readme with the download. since the cfg file is an external text file can't you just use layout to modify all the configs for both layout and modeler since modeler is so limited in this reguard?

jay

sketchyjay
10-09-2003, 11:38 AM
wow never knew you had that site.

great site.

Jay

LFGabel
10-09-2003, 01:17 PM
What's next is a LightWave[8] book, written by me, Larry Shultz and Kevin Phillips...

And more plug-ins...

and more video tutorials...

and classes of all kinds in Austin, Texas...

and Digital Fusion / DFX+ weekends in select cities...

and the final dates of the Worldwide Community Tour...

While I respect everything you are doing for the LW community, Lee, can you tell me one thing.

Is Newtekpro Magazine officially dead? I read your July message on newtekpro.com, and it's not very reassuring, especially since it's 3 months old... As far as I'm concerned, being in hiatus or delayed with no updated information is exactly like being dead.

I just wanted to know so I can write off my subscription renewal payment as a bad debt.

Thanks.

Stranahan
10-09-2003, 02:03 PM
There's a whole thread about this, but the short version is - I never took over NewTekPro, and I don't know anything much beyond that at this point.

LFGabel
10-09-2003, 02:36 PM
There's a whole thread about this, but the short version is - I never took over NewTekPro, and I don't know anything much beyond that at this point.

Thanks, Lee. I'll search for that thread. In the mean time, you might want to get the newtekpro.com website updated to avoid any confusion... because it certainly *looks* like you were planning to take it over.

Stranahan
10-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Good suggestion, but I have no control over the NewTekPro website...

Locutus
10-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Karmacop

There's already a plugin that operates that way. It's called Lightwave Roamer. http://www.lwhub.com/lwroamer/
It basically lets you set up multiple users with different configure settings. I use it when I teach because I have my own custom UI that's very confusing to my new students. With Lightwave Roamer I set up a custom UI mode for me when I working on a project and the default UI for when I am demonstrating for my students. It is extremely helpful.

Add to this Lee's new plugin that allows you to EASILY create custom UI's and you got powerful new ways to create several different custom UI's and switch between them with ease.

BTW thanks to Lee for another wonderful gift to the LW community!:D

Stranahan
10-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Most of the credit should go to Kevin Phillips, for writing it...

Dodgy
10-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Okay, these are my modeler configs. The main side bar and tabs are pretty much unchanged for anyone who is familiar with them, but the shift-crtl mouse menus are completely rearranged.

LMB has load/select/create/measure/meta/pivot/additional sub-menus.
MMB has construct- take existing geometry and build something (eg rail extrude)/remove (eg collapse face)/subdivide (bevel, spikey tool etc)/modify (deform/rotate etc)/multiply (rail clone, array etc)/change -the state of something (change part name, surface etc)/curves (loft curves, path to poly chain etc)/additional(this is cleared as soon as I figure out where to put new plugins!)
RMB-vertex map stuff/skelegons/powergons.

These are packed with downloadable free plugins so get searching on www.flay.com !
Also it includes key assignments which aren't quite so logical, but I know them well.... Look through the menus to see what they are..

Pixel
10-09-2003, 04:43 PM
bump

NOTE FROM MODERATOR:
Pixel, if you have issues with a member of this community, take it up with them privately!

sketchyjay
10-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Edited

jay

js33
10-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Pixel

I'm glad the moderators jumped all over this one. I think you still owe Lee an apology even though you are banned now. ;)

Cheers,
JS

robinson
10-09-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Locutus
There's already a plugin that operates that way. It's called Lightwave Roamer. http://www.lwhub.com/lwroamer/

Lightwave Roamer is great but still totally different, it just loads Custom config files not Custom tabs.
It works like the “-c command line thing”, that’s all. (See Lightwave Appendix 7, custom configuration files).

With the Interface Builder you can add (or delete) single tabs, you don’t need to load a whole new user interface.
Now we can just add a single tab if we like it, a plugin developer can provide a custom tab, hey great.
Thanks again, I really hope Newtek adds this into LW 8, btw a combination with the Lightwave Roamer and expert colour (http://www.valecchi.it/) would be great too. :D

hrgiger
10-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Pixel, you're being a total *****.

riki
10-09-2003, 07:19 PM
uuugghh I just have to shake my head in disbelief sometimes. :confused:

kevman3d
10-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Hey dudes

The plugin is very beta-ish at the moment. But thanks to everyone who's tried it and found it useful so far...

Dodgy
Hmmm, currently the exported GUI's will have the top menus and mouse button menus reset to LightWave defaults. This is mentioned in the Readme file included with the zip... Its under the title 'IMPORTANT NOTE:' in the IF_TAB_compiler.lsc section...

Don't worry - I will try get an update out to Lee in a day or two with some major updates to improve the functionality of this tool... :D

BTW, many thanks to Lee and his very cool concepts and ideas for making this tool reality!

Karmacop
10-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Locutus: I have to get sleeping, but is this an external program? What I'd like is a plugin within lightwave so you can switch whenever you want without closing down lightwave. But it still looks good. :)

zarti
10-10-2003, 02:49 AM
To webmasters or managers of this forum....

i think that something must be edited some where up
in this thread.... please do that!

NO RESPECT! :mad:

Howzat
10-10-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Pixel
bump...
wow, you must have gone through at least three warnings about being offended... you just have to wonder about some people...

WizCraker
10-10-2003, 04:17 AM
I reported that message to the Mods [at the end of each individual post you will notice a Report this post to a moderator], Pixel is lucky that only admins can see his IP.

CB_3D
10-10-2003, 04:41 AM
To get back on topic, will the "No Subgroups" limitation be solved? It´s a great idea, but pretty useless for now.

zarti
10-10-2003, 06:17 AM
yes,... lets turn back to the thread goal hoping that people
can expres themselves with more RESPECT to everyone else.

To Lee:
Will we have any cool and more natural way to make
customisable and presetable LW UI on version 8 ?
(just another question)
what kind of plugins are coming ?

RESPECT!

Paul Lara
10-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by zarti
To webmasters or managers of this forum....

i think that something must be edited

Done, and thanks for the heads-up, guys.

Paul Lara
10-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Howzat
wow, you must have gone through at least three warnings about being offensive... you just have to wonder about some people...

Yes, after reviewing Pixel's mere 5 posts on this board, they break down this way:

- 3 negative posts
- 1 helpful post
- 1 flame-bait post

Pixel has thus earned bit-bucket status, so the rest of you can get on with this exciting adventure known as LightWave.

My apologies to the community, and BUH-BYE Pixel!!

zarti
10-10-2003, 07:43 AM
YES. Finally ..and thanks.

I hope Lee is there and want to talk with us again.... :(
We are here also to support each other and im sure
he could feel fine again inside this forum.

Lee we want to hear you.... :)

CB_3D
10-10-2003, 07:54 AM
I am confident his IP will be permanently banned after a post with this content.

Too vulgar to comment further.

Bones_3DFC
10-10-2003, 08:46 AM
I can't help but feel as though I played a small part in that - with
my chit chat - I do that when I need a break from my view ports
and I'm sorry.

Lee I'm glad you shared - I'm new to the NewTek Forums and I
might not otherwise have seen another part of your creativity.
I'm sure you don't let negativity like that get to you and on a
positive note, I am impressed with your many layers and I enjoy
browsing your wonderful writing and photography.
3D [Lightwave] is everyone's common bond here but it feels
really good to see other people's art, aside from 3D, and in so,
knowing I/we have many things in common through different avenues.

Keep up all your good work.

Stranahan
10-10-2003, 10:27 AM
I didn't go away, I just had nothing to say about that...what is there to say? Thanks to Paul for taking care of it - and cool icon, Paul!

Nothing wrong with chit-chat, either. I'm not doing anything I'm ashamed of. Far from, I'm proud of all my work - that's why I do all my work under my own name, and very publically.

I don't know what's in LightWave[8] - we're offering the Interface Builder plug-in to NewTek to include, though.

The first plug-in collection we have coming out is most likely a small set of utilities that will make animating - especially logos - easier.

Locutus
10-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by robinson
Lightwave Roamer is great but still totally different, it just loads Custom config files not Custom tabs.
It works like the “-c command line thing”, that’s all. (See Lightwave Appendix 7, custom configuration files).

With the Interface Builder you can add (or delete) single tabs, you don’t need to load a whole new user interface.
Now we can just add a single tab if we like it, a plugin developer can provide a custom tab, hey great.
Thanks again, I really hope Newtek adds this into LW 8, btw a combination with the Lightwave Roamer and expert colour (http://www.valecchi.it/) would be great too. :D
Oh I think you might have mis understood.
I know that they are different. I was answering Karmas question(read his post)

eggy
10-10-2003, 01:12 PM
wow, thanks Lee "and the crew."
That's a plugin I was really waiting for, you rock, I will try it out !!! :D

js33
10-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks Paul for taking care of that.
That kind of talk was totally uncalled for. Thanks for giving him a slap upside the digital head.

Cheers,
JS

xtrm3d
10-11-2003, 10:39 AM
muarrrf..muarfff,,, huuuarrff..
sorry tottaly OUT OF TOPIC ..
but i just saw the avatar from paul.....

@ paul .. if you need a bigger resolution or a better pose.. just tell me and i would render at a size big enough to make a screen backdrop

Verlon
10-12-2003, 01:37 AM
Classes in Austin, Texas? Excellent. Please provide more data immediatly.

I need classes in Austin as becoming a most excellent modeller and animator is a crucial element of my plans to dominate the known universe and make those sill MAX users sorry for using their inconsequential software, to make Maya users see the error of there ways, to see that all Lightwave users are pursued by supermodels in accordance with their gender of preference, and getting revenge on Benny from third grade for getting me into trouble when I didn't start that fight, but I digress....

Seriously, keep us posted on the classes. I needto know how much vacation time this will cost me unless you plan to do them Wednesday through Friday.

Verlon

WizCraker
10-12-2003, 04:19 AM
Yeah more classes in Austin Cool, you would think 2 hours from Newtek and no LWUG. But that Game Developer group gives free food away.

Verlon
10-12-2003, 07:31 AM
Media Toolbox is trying to get a group going, but haven't managed to get it going regularly yet. If you have ideas, you might want to talk to them.

Verlon

Stranahan
10-12-2003, 09:23 AM
We have an updated version on the site....visit LearnLightWave.com and go to the Interface Builder page to DL the latest..and 3 cheers for Kevin!

Whats updated?
-- -- -- --
Now extracts the 'other' interface info, including the top section and the
mouse menu sections. (Users can now share the mouse menu info as well if
they want to)

Some small bugs fixed I discovered in the last version I've now fixed.

Updated the compiler to load custom mouse and top sections into an
interface. Otherwise, leaving them blank will still use those 'default'
values anyway.

Added more advanced 'checking' in the compiler to bulletproof it against
accidental 'mix-match' compilations. Also added some extra file checking to
prevent bogus files being loaded and screwing things up. I've tried to save
the user from themselves as well as possible! :-)

CB_3D
10-12-2003, 01:26 PM
unfortunately still no subgroups in the saved tabs. this is a shame as this detail would make this a very complete solution.
(hint):D

Stranahan
10-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Kev probably has an answer on this...seems possible to me, but I could be wrong..

Tom Wood
10-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by WizCraker
Yeah more classes in Austin Cool, you would think 2 hours from Newtek and no LWUG. But that Game Developer group gives free food away.

Bryan Treat with Media Toolbox is trying to get an Austin LWUG going. But with BOXX and Lee in town, he's somewhat overshadowed. (Don't know the business politics of all this, my apologies for any offense.)

Yeah, the MAX group is definitely the big dog in town, but they host some pretty good demonstrations that are easily cross-platformed. The one where those animation guys did the walk cycle made me appreciate the Graph Editor.

TW

Stranahan
10-12-2003, 04:41 PM
I first talked about starting an Austin UG about a year ago, but my travel schedule didn't allow for it.

Now, I'm here in Austin full time - so let's roll...

I started a thread here...

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12229

kevman3d
10-13-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by CB_3D
unfortunately still no subgroups in the saved tabs. this is a shame as this detail would make this a very complete solution.
(hint):D

Technically, there ARE subgroups in the saved tabs (if you use them to create a new GUI, they'll appear as normal).

What you are probably referring to is the rather experimental 'IF_TAB_loader' LScript that allows you to load the tabs and install them in a rather 'Raw' manner...

Unfortunately, both LScript, and the LW SDK documentation appear to only offer one way to add items to a menu or toolbar...

AddButton <command> <group>

Where <group> is the Tab name, and <command> is the raw tool name that LightWave uses to identify the command (hence no capability to also install 'renamed' buttons from a tab either :( ).

That's it - Its raw, its simple and unfortunately it limits the ability to easily create a nice 'loader' function until someone at NewTek extends its functionality to add commands to groups within groups (ie. Subgroups)

Not that I didn't experiment for a long time to check that there wasn't some kind of special 'syntax' in a group name that would allow me to include subgroups - All I ended up with were some wierd looking tab titles with funky character strings! :)

I included the LScript source as an example of how to read and apply the the Tab files in your own scripts, but also in the hope that I could also create a handy 'instant loader' tool (which I agree would be excellent and finish this off nicely as a complete solution - CB_3D, Your hint is well noted (and appreciated!) ) :D

However the source is there for everyone to rip apart to include .tab files into their own LScript projects - If anybody discovers a way to add all the missing detail back into a menu, please do share and let us know. :)

CB_3D
10-13-2003, 10:14 AM
Hi Kev!

I´ve been thinking about it and i think it´s possible to preserve all tab properties. But it would take a different approach, like editing a saved temporary menu cfg file with Lscripts replace function and reload it.

I am not sure if it is possible to load a full menu configuration through Lscript, though, but if so this would be the way to go...i think.

zarti
10-14-2003, 03:22 AM

The first plug-in collection we have coming out is most likely a small set of utilities that will make animating - especially logos - easier.

the version of Lightwave which comes with VideoToaster, LW Express)
has a very cool plugin which with few clicks you are ready to
render any logo animation. It has many options: you can set up
animated backgrounds, many logo motions, quick setup of nice
and simple effects with particles,...

I think this plugin can save a lot of time to LW standalone users.

RESPECT!

kevman3d
10-14-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by CB_3D
editing a saved temporary menu cfg file with Lscripts replace function and reload it.

Thanks CB! That is a great idea (and originally how I wanted the compiler to work) - Creating the GUI is simple (that's what the compiler tool does anyway) but then there's the issue of how to tell LightWave to reload an Interface file into itself.

As far as I am aware, you can simply invoke the Edit Interface tool panel with 'EditMenus();' but that was the closest I could find to anything relating to the interface loading beyond the 'AddButton' command.

The same applied to the SDK as far as I could find.

However I'm not saying that someone out there may know better and correct me on that. :)