PDA

View Full Version : Help & Suggestions-Twirling Ball on Rope

Michael Lizak
07-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm working on animating this ghost character. I want to have him fly around twirling a bomb on a fuse above his head. The bomb would start still, twirl a few times, then slow to a stop above his head. Been banging my head against a wall for weeks trying different approaches. Cloth rope, bones. Attached my LW files if you would like to take a look. I'm looking for suggestions on how you guys might do it.

I'm pretty happy with the model, although I know the poly flow is not so great. Tried to correct this after studying tutorials. This is the best I could get it.

Been working in LW since 2000 & still find it difficult & frustrating to achieve the looks & movement I want. Many techniques & disciplines to master. This is probably true of all 3D packages. I'm not a 24/7 3D guy. I mostly supplement my 2D work with keyable 3D animated objects. Always want to do more 3D & trying to learn via video tutorials. I'm so envious of William Vaughan! He makes everything look so dang easy! Always appreciate the help I get here & would be very lost without it. -Thanks

WilliamVaughan
07-15-2011, 09:43 AM
I'd suggest a simple IK chain.

Cohen
07-15-2011, 10:12 AM
hmm, Ik chain may be more complicated.

It's perhaps simpler to setup with basic parenting and sliders on a controller.

Here is a picture and zip file of the rig I just did. ( about 4 minutes to do everything, including modeling :P )

Simply parent the pole to your ghosts arm/hand bone (if thats what your doing). Then you should be good to go for animation! :D

I also included a sqaush/stretch ability in the sliders, because it looks like you are going for a toon affect. :)

Cohen
07-15-2011, 10:27 AM
you can also expand upon this, for instance, by adding a rotation control along the pitch to make the twirling a little more interesting. And maybe even add a noise channel modifier to the pitch channel to really spice things up! :D

btw, it is possible to make this simpler to use/select/interact with, without using sliders. You could just have a controller item to animate, and it could affect the rig the same way the sliders do.. But I'm partial to using sliders. ;)

If you poke around inside of the motion properties pane, there are all sorts of useful tools for setting these kinds of things up. You could actually just drive the rotation with an actual angular velocity by scripting the controllers heading channel. That would make animating a breeze if you had lots of these twirling things going on in a scene. You would just set the speed at this frame, that frame, and then that frame and botta bing botta boom! :D Though thats probably more than what your asking.

Ok, I shut up now. :p

Michael Lizak
07-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I'd suggest a simple IK chain.

William, U DA MAN!