PDA

View Full Version : Sub patching part of a model. Help

Samoht VII
07-15-2011, 01:41 AM
Ok i am trying to model a monitor an dim pretty average at lightwave so i have run into a problem.
The monitor for the most patch is blocky and i dont need to subpatch but at the back it is much smother and curls a bit so i need to make it sub patched but as you can see from the images it doesn't really turn out as i need it to.
What am i doing wrong and how can i half a model subpatched and half not.

Thanks

Sensei
07-15-2011, 02:24 AM
Sub-patch everything or nothing. You can use splines and spline patches instead, to have smooth curved back of monitor.

OFF
07-15-2011, 03:19 AM
Weight Tool > 100% on non-subpatched poligons (Falloff "none")

cagey5
07-15-2011, 03:49 AM
Still not best practise though. As a 'newbie' you'd be better off learning how to model it correctly then you'll be better off in the long run.

If a deadline is looming and you have no alternative then do it by any method you can, In that case OFF's solution will work just fine.

OnlineRender
07-15-2011, 04:14 AM
or cheat and build it in another layer and hit tab ....

probiner
07-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Hi. When you use Subdivision surfaces you then have to learn how to model the faceted stuff you had with regular Faces. Here you will find a good start: http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video.html

If you want to cheat your way out, then don't use Subpatches, use Catmull-Clark. You can select just a portion of the model and hit 'Tab'. Aditionally you will have to set the connecting edge sharpness to 100, like in the image below (in green).

It's a very cheaty but an ok way to spare the time. Notice that you will have your model open in the edge between CC and Faces, so some shading attributes can look bad. Use at least Level 4 of subdivision.

Cheers

Samoht VII
07-15-2011, 06:00 AM
Ok there seem to be a lot of 'shortcuts' and 'cheating' ways to do it but is the best way to just have it all or nothing sub patched? If you were going to model this and had no deadline how would you do it?

Samoht VII
07-15-2011, 06:01 AM
I'd also like to learn the proper way to do it so i can get the expewrience as well.
Thanks

prometheus
07-15-2011, 09:56 AM
If you want to model the whole thing as subpatch, I think as mentioned using weight map sharpness might be good, otherwise make sure to learn how to add sharp corners in subpatch by making sure you have more edgeloops around those areas.

like..try create a box in a monitor form, just the basic box shape first, but without dropping the box, make sure you use some radius segments..like 3-5 perhaps and set a radius of a couple of mm.

drop that tool, once you hit subpatch it will almost look the same thanks to those added edges with the radius segments, then you can just pick the poly section at the back and use extend or multishift e few times and that will be a more round section.

Michael

Lewis
07-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Mostly with SubDs it's "all or nothing" or "cheating" :).

JeffrySG
07-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Also, keep in mind most product are not manufactured out of a single piece of plastic. You don't need to build your object as one single mesh. It's not that way in the real world either and usually makes some parts of the model easier to build - although it can complicate other parts. Use that to your advantage when you can.

Danner
07-18-2011, 08:03 AM
It will create more polygons, but when I need sharp edges I just use the knife tool to add a subdivision next to the edges. It's faster to do and more stable than using weights.