PDA

View Full Version : Do not drop collada, do the homework, do it right!

prometheus
07-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Do not drop collada, do the homework, do it right.

As the notion have come to me that "it seems" that collada would
be left behind now with a more focus on fbx..that might all be good in one way..but.

This is just a simple call for newtek to complete the collada format in order to work with free character tools like daz studio, and to look at e-on how they have managed to "do the homework" with collada.

As it is now, when daz figures is exported to collada format and imported to lightwave
..the bones are a mess.
Take a look at how it works in vue, just perfect match and textures are all there, except for
that you have to turn down reflectance on all materials.

Well textures work once imported to lightwave but not the bones.

Thatīs the import issues.

For Lightwave export to be useful with vue, well here the bones seem to work properly
But the textures are lacking only one default material is retained.

It would be very very nice if some effort would be put in to solving these
interchange format issues in collada.
Again study vue-daz compability.

Make life easier not harder..please:D

(yes my avatar is really me..Michael...version 4 daz model of me that is..lightwave render. )
( and yes a former girlfriend of me ..her name was victoria so we had some fun with those daz models:))
Michael

SubDProxy
07-13-2011, 08:42 PM
I need to use Collada at work also. We use Collada to get the objects into the Torque3D Game Engine. So, please do not drop Collada! Thanks.

Glen

theguaz
07-21-2011, 01:27 PM
i'm a flash developer and with previous versions of LW i had almost 100% compatibilty with Away3D, Unity and PPvision, but now i cannot even load the files without getting errors, i'm thinking on switching to C4 or something.

Hope this can be fixed soon. Or if anyone out There have a solution, please share it with me.

theguaz.
www.theguaz.com

tyrot
07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
@ theguaz

try neoaxis engine... 9.6 has flawless ogre exporter... everything works there..

I still cannot believe we do not have decent unity connection ... (or do we?)

Salv8or
07-22-2011, 02:45 AM
Hmm.. I guess this is a bit of thread stealing, but since its almost on topic i give it a go in here before starting a new thread.
I have a .dae file that i import in LW10, it contains both rotation and translation of a camera. But for some reason I just get the rotation data transfered in the import?
Any one have an idea on how to import the translation data as well?

I'll attach a file for thous who are intrested in checking it out.

All replies are welcom.
Thnx.

safetyman
07-22-2011, 07:49 AM
We definitely need collada to work better than it does. However, I've noticed that collada itself is sometimes quirky when working with applications other than Lightwave. Sometimes they open, and sometimes you get empty scenes. I guess it depends on the exporter as well.

Salv8or
07-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Solved the import issue by converting the .dea to fbx in autodesks fbx converter.
Now I get both rotation and translation loaded. Must be the importer that messes then.