View Full Version : LW work in children's TV show...

stiff paper
07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm (very, very) reliably informed that the kids' TV show "Guess With Jess" was animated in Maya but everything else about it was done in LW. All the modeling, texturing, lighting... and apparently all rendered with a mix of LW and fPrime:


(I've pulled those off YT after a quick search... there are no English language examples, probably all DMCAd - one of the above is somebody's demo reel - I've no idea whose it is - I wouldn't want to get anybody into any trouble...)

Nicolas Jordan
07-13-2011, 04:32 PM
The Lightwave>Maya>Lightwave pipe seems to be fairly popular for these kinds of shows from what I have heard.

07-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Very cute! My Niece and nephews would love that show!

07-13-2011, 05:17 PM
This is a very good workflow for many many production companies.

You see, even though DD uses Maya with renderman, mental ray and vray and Houdini with mantra and renderman you can quickly find out that even though this is a powerful combo it is very expensive to run from a licensing and, especially, rendering point of view.

So what is great is when you combine a nice animation package like Maya or XSi with the rendering of Lightwave you can get so much finished at a lower cost.

Can LW go as far as say Vray, Renderman, or Mental Ray? Probably not in about 10% of the cases out there with film and TV BUT.... this is a huge but... it can do most of the stuff (the other 90%) very well.

This is where LW fills in a nice segment of the CG industry and will probably do so for some time.

In 2003-2004 I used LW to animate/render The Mars Underground with the help of fprime.


Though the CG in this film is now dated it does show you what LW could do even 8 years ago with a couple people. (Used some models from Shrox, Nanogator, and others while doing many myself).

Even though I don't use LW much these days I do recommend it to people who don't have $5000+ sitting around to start a maya setup. LW gives you much to work with for its price. And even more so now its in new 10 version then even I ever used.