PDA

View Full Version : How to Render Long Movies

uwasa waya
07-13-2011, 10:31 AM
I see a lot of long, high quality moves and wondered how it was done.

I did an animation that was 40 seconds long, 640 x 480, and came to about 82 megs. The compression I believe caused a flicker. Its about a gig or so without compression.

How do you render out longer movies and still get good quality?
Render stills without compression and compile in After Effects? Still at some point it seems compression is needed. Perhaps export to some encoder, I dont know. I did try to compile in Flash and it crashes too much inporting the stills)

Any tips will be appreciated.
(these are run from a hard drive not over the web, but still smaller files are easier to manage and deliver.)
Thanks

nickdigital
07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Yes, render to an image sequence first. PNG or TGAs are good formats. Then compile in AE or something like QTPro. As for codec that'll depend on your final delivery format (web, broadcast, etc).

Nangleator
07-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I had a workflow for this once, when I didn't have a video editor: Output your animation to still images. Can even be .JPGs, to save space. From them, render out an uncompressed .AVI. Yes, it will be enormous, but it's only temporary, and you can delete it after the next step.

Drag that .AVI into Windows Movie Maker, something that comes free with Windows. Output as a .WMV. Lots of options. Good balance of quality and compression.

Nangleator
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I keep a LW scene file called Sequence. It's got my latest image sequence as a Background Image. Camera settings can be changed quickly. Image sequence can be replaced quickly. I use it for outputting tests like this.

uwasa waya
07-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks Guys.

Movie Maker never even crossed my mind. I will include it as I experiment with work flows.

Just an FYI, I was compiling stills in an old premire pro to add labels and things. I can drag out the pauses so I dont have to render out the whole pause.

Danner
07-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Windows media9 or Quicktime h2.64 are good delivery mediums with good quality/size ratio. I choose either one depending on client's needs. I usually keep an uncompressed copy or the image sequence+comp just in case.