PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Prototyping/Solid Printing

jlwolff
07-12-2011, 01:17 PM
So, as so often happens in freelance work, I had a client change the parameters at the very last minute. The client now wants to do a small Rapid Prototyping/Solid Printing of the model.

Not exactly my area of expertise (... not yet, anyway :D ) I know the model has to be solid, no holes in the geometry and that any surface details should be in the mesh, instead of through bump maps/textures.

Anyone have advice in this area? Is edge beveling necessary? What else should I know?

JeffrySG
07-13-2011, 09:05 PM
So, as so often happens in freelance work, I had a client change the parameters at the very last minute. The client now wants to do a small Rapid Prototyping/Solid Printing of the model.

Not exactly my area of expertise (... not yet, anyway :D ) I know the model has to be solid, no holes in the geometry and that any surface details should be in the mesh, instead of through bump maps/textures.

Anyone have advice in this area? Is edge beveling necessary? What else should I know?

shapeways.com has a whole section on how to set up files correctly. :)

jlwolff
07-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Thank you, Jeffry. :)

They even have a tutorial specifically for LW. Sweet. I will likely be recommending them to my client.

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/lightwave_3d_for_3d_printing

kopperdrake
07-17-2011, 05:15 AM
Yep - they're good. I did have an issue with a hole not appearing, but I'm not sure the tutorial was up at that time. Nothing a modeller's drill couldn't fix though :)

Lewis
07-17-2011, 08:18 AM
I dd some models in past for 3D printing and it's not an easy task but doable. I ended up exporting it to STL file (there is free plugin exporter/importer for modeler) and it worked fine for clients.