PDA

View Full Version : 'Out of memory' crashes during long renders

AbstractTech3D
07-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Hello

I have 1 particularly troublesome scene that I've been trying for a while to render. However, I keep getting 'out of memory' crashes after approximately every 250 frames or so. (So this would suggest to me that a cache is not being cleared, but progressively further filled after every frame).

The scene features a flag blowing in the wind - essentially a subdivided poly with an MDD (approx 26 MB) driving the animation. Features a texture map (approx 4MB) passing through (the very nice) DP Kit 'Velvet' texture node. GI is on, Monte Carlo, no render cache (but high quality settings to avoid animated GI noise). Rendering at 720x576.

Machine is a MBP late 2008, 4GB RAM.

Have tried 10.1, and 9.6.1, same result.

Have tried lowering the memory segment limit significantly. No change (except for a slight speed increase).

Since the animation is 3700 frames long, its a pain in the butt!

Can anyone comment on where the problem is likely to be, and how best to solve it?

Thanks!

Danner
07-12-2011, 01:34 AM
My money is on the node setup having a small memory leak, and since you don't have much head room..

Sensei
07-12-2011, 01:41 AM
How to find leakage? Start turning off things, and rerendering sequence, and watching memory usage in Process Manager.. When memory stops increasing with frames, then you will find guilty part. I would start from disabling 3rd party things.

3DGFXStudios
07-12-2011, 04:28 AM
You can also buy some new ram. It's really cheap :)

Sensei
07-12-2011, 04:37 AM
Add another 4 GB of memory, and out of memory will be every 500 frames instead of 250 frames.. ;)

Danner
07-12-2011, 05:21 AM
well.. windows (depending on version and crap installed) can easily grab 2gb just sitting there idle.

JML
07-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Are you using LW 64bit ?
lightwave won't use more than 2GB otherwise. (or 3gb.. if switch on..)

if you are doing a very precise interpolated monte carlo, try to do
a low non-interpolcated monte carlo instead..
depending on your scene, it might be a little bit slower but won't have memory issues..

Did you try to do a lower quality interpolated monte carlo with GI anim checked ON ?

AbstractTech3D
07-12-2011, 05:23 PM
OSX 10.6.7
Have got a problem with 64 bit, so can't use that for now.

Not so easy to upgrade the RAM on this MBP….

Actually am now almost done rendering - with many restarts already done…

If I need to re-render, I'll try not using the 3rd party plugin… and different GI settings

Thanks guys, for your input.