PDA

View Full Version : Surprised and dissapointed!

jaxtone
07-11-2011, 03:29 AM
Havenīt been in the forum for a while now since very little of the promised CORE seemed to be true. I guess I really hoped that the announced tool who was expressed as Godīs gift to the 3D-world could keep me as a Newtek-fan!

I might have taken the wrong decision in 15 years about my support to Newtekīs software Lightwave. Most of the time I have been glad to work with it because itīs so fast when doing easy stuff. But it is also my worst enemy when it comes to integrating Lightwave with other industrial standards or made me fall asleep by extraordinary boring and tiresome Character Animations routines. "Some bugs in the "dynamic" fields in the program seems to not be taken seriously either, such as the never ending of bounces etc...)

CORE? Is everything dead for ever now or is are there new promises from the land of LaLa on the way? I donīt know but at the moment it feels like Newtek push even me who hate AutoDesk right into the gates of hell.

Jack

Sensei
07-11-2011, 03:34 AM
CORE will be in core of LightWave..
Means old plug-ins and current LW will be calling LWSDK, which will be front-end to new Core SDK, and most of what's now available will be working.
New plug-ins and new code will use Core SDK directly, without this translation layer.

robertoortiz
07-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Let me expand on what sensei said

From the LW developers ( a bit technical):

"LightWave has been converted to compile as C++ a long time ago (somewhere around 2005), meaning that C++ can be used across the codebase, and it is being used.

The Core SDK and its components make most sense to use in Layout as-is, no need for re-writing.

The integration has to be incremental, the biggest/most important step being the replacement of the scene/application graph.
The existing C SDK will have to be adapted to the Core scene graph internally, for existing plugins/scripts to continue to work.
For plugins/scripts leveraging all features the Core SDK/scene graph has to offer they will have to be written using the Core plugin system.

The Core SDK and its Components are modular by design and can be tested and developed as independent units separate from the application as a whole."

In effect:
CORE has become Lightwave, and you still get classic LW functionality.
The Code that we in the CORE team help debugged is being merged with classic LW.

That allows for legacy plug ins to still work, while having a modern codebase to develop on.

pooby
07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Let me expand on what sensei said

From the LW developers ( a bit technical):

"LightWave has been converted to compile as C++ a long time ago (somewhere around 2005), meaning that C++ can be used across the codebase, and it is being used.

The Core SDK and its components make most sense to use in Layout as-is, no need for re-writing.

The integration has to be incremental, the biggest/most important step being the replacement of the scene/application graph.
The existing C SDK will have to be adapted to the Core scene graph internally, for existing plugins/scripts to continue to work.
For plugins/scripts leveraging all features the Core SDK/scene graph has to offer they will have to be written using the Core plugin system.

The Core SDK and its Components are modular by design and can be tested and developed as independent units separate from the application as a whole."

In effect:
CORE has become Lightwave, and you still get classic LW functionality.
The Code that we in the CORE team help debugged is being merged with classic LW.

That allows for legacy plug ins to still work, while having a modern codebase to develop on.

I wouldn't say "Core has become lightwave." That sounds like some highly misleading marketing bumph.
The information above understates a hugely ambitious yet embryonic plan for a third attempt at integration after the first abandoned attempt and the subsequent abandoned external rewrite.

robertoortiz
07-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Both codesbases have been merged into a single one.
New features are being developed using CORE as the development environment.

There you go.
Anyway, if we are going to do the good old song and dance on this topic, why not bring back an older thread?
-R

pooby
07-11-2011, 01:49 PM
There you go.
Anyway, if we are going to do the good old song and dance on this topic, why not bring back an older thread?
-R

Because you made the statement in this one. So it makes more sense to state my point here rather than someovensr thread where it will make no sense out of context.
I don't see that stating a realistic yet sceptical view constitutes making song and dance though.
I'll be the first to hand out praise if Newtek pull off something cool. I just say it how I see it.

robertoortiz
07-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Pooby, Megalodon, points made.
-R

hrgiger
07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Rob Powers said it best himself. The proof will be in the software. I can't believe it otherwise. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a third time, well, that would just make me a jackass.

jaxtone
07-31-2011, 07:16 AM
If I calculate the sum of these wise and skilled comments I get a scary feeling!

... and the following question would be, for how long is it possible for Newtek searching for a Holy Grail? When will they run out of cash and fall into the hands of AD? For how long can they afford losing users that are not totally devoted to two words of hope and despair

... "next version"?

dblincoe
07-31-2011, 09:01 AM
I've been following this saga pretty closely on this threads and others and I wish someone would point me to a reliable thread that would back up the above claims that the two have been merged. As I understand it, I don't think those claims have been made by anyone working with Newtek directly. You can deduce and speculate all you want but until we see the direction of the next LW beta's I wouldn't bet any money.