PDA

View Full Version : Obama Particle Sweep Video

Exception
07-11-2011, 02:19 AM
I was inspired by the particle tests done in the TurbulenceFD thread, so I made this little animation as a tryout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-rgxPnw5M

It uses two partigon emitters and a wind with a fractal procedural in their wind vector, as well as a tiny gravity.

This is not meant to be political so much as that the image has a very nice color contrast and is quite recognizable.

Rendered with PRblur, 12 AA, 1280x1024.

I have attached the scene for you to pick apart. I do have to say: I am getting an error on loading these scenes back in, and the emitters become normal rather than partigon emitters, causing it to no longer render. Also, loading this scene causes it to generate all teh particles, and that's a lot. So, on even the fastest computer, it might take a while.

OnlineRender
07-11-2011, 02:38 AM
LOVE IT ,thanks

dballesg
07-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Hi Tom,

Nice animation. I think your problem with the missing objects it's that you meed a partigon object, saved on the Objects directory under your content directory and named P_Emitter.

You can create such a partigon object on a clean scene in Layout and press CTRL + P and save it with the name P_Emitter.lwo.

David

Exception
07-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Nice animation. I think your problem with the missing objects it's that you meed a partigon object, saved on the Objects directory under your content directory and named P_Emitter.

You can create such a partigon object on a clean scene in Layout and press CTRL + P and save it with the name P_Emitter.lwo.

Nice! That worked great, thanks!

dballesg
07-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Nice! That worked great, thanks!

Glad it worked! :)

I just tried a clip map (a Turbulence procedural wit a high contrast and small size 100mm on each axis). And it helps to reduce the bloby aspect of the particles. In fact you can reduce the number of particles and make their pixel size bigger. That leads to faster calculation and render times! :)

I just made a test frame of your animation. I changed the textures and used clips maps as I described. I didn't optimized the render times at all, 20 min for this frame. And that is using FG interpolated.

David

Exception
07-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Glad it worked! :)

I just tried a clip map (a Turbulence procedural wit a high contrast and small size 100mm on each axis). And it helps to reduce the bloby aspect of the particles. In fact you can reduce the number of particles and make their pixel size bigger. That leads to faster calculation and render times! :)

I just made a test frame of your animation. I changed the textures and used clips maps as I described. I didn't optimized the render times at all, 20 min for this frame. And that is using FG interpolated.

David

Nice, David,

Yes I first had large particles too, but to get the fine-grained sandy and dynamic look, I preferred the small particles, and lots of them. :)

Svenart
07-11-2011, 12:04 PM
very nice technic, i like it. Well done!

Nangleator
07-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, that's pretty groovy. I'll be using that for something soon.

Without having downloaded the scene, I'm guessing it involves a texture with world coordinates and the camera slightly off axis, so the 3-dimensional spray of particles show some waviness in the image. (Am I wrong?)

Makes me wonder what a nice procedural texture would look like! (Abstract, but genuinely 3D.)

Thanks!

abdelkarim
07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
wow great work and always be.

Mitja
07-12-2011, 12:36 AM
this was really a great idea. very interesting technique indeed!

Exception
07-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Without having downloaded the scene, I'm guessing it involves a texture with world coordinates and the camera slightly off axis, so the 3-dimensional spray of particles show some waviness in the image. (Am I wrong?)

More or less. The image is just planar mapped onto the particle surface from the same axis the camera is on, but because the parallax effect of the camera's perspective, you get the waviness, which is more apparent neart he edge than near the center because of that.

That, and there's also an animated produral that varies the self-illumination of the particles a bit.