PDA

View Full Version : What is the Virtal Set .dds Colorspace?

videomike99
07-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm trying to load into photoshop the .dds files that are created for the Virtual Sets, and I can't figure out what colorspace they are...rgb, hls, etc.

As a test, I've created a set with colorbars as a background. It looks fine in the TriCaster. When I re-import the .dds file that is created, it's colors are not the same.

My purpose for doing this is to modify some of the graphics in some of the shipped TriCaster sets. If I can load the .dds image(s), I can modify what I need, and then re-create the set. Is this possible? I've created several sets so far from scratch, but would really like to modify 1 or 2 of the existing ones.

Thanks.

Mike

Eric Pratt
07-11-2011, 07:33 AM
I'll take a shot in the dark and say they are written in UV and YCbCr with alpha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCbCr respectively

videomike99
07-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Any idea of how to convert them back to rgb so the look proper in photoshop? I've tried a couple of plugins, (nvidea makes one for photoshop), but nothing seems to look correct.

Eric Pratt
07-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I've attached what one of my sets looks like converted from DDS as best as I've ever gotten it. The color conversion is probably wrong and it's probably adding the alpha, my guess is you'd be looking at some kind of custom plugin to get the color space right, but who knows, it might just need the right combination of flips. There's also the issue of how NewTek feels about reverse engineering one of their sets. The Virtual Set Editor is probably the right way to go with this.

brwainer
07-11-2011, 09:26 AM
It looks like you're missing a whole channel of information, Eric! Isn't the Chroma Blue channel missing? I thought there was several files that went together, all holding a different channel of color.

videomike99
07-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Yea, that's what my images are looking like as well. I've got some nice colorspace conversion plugins for Digital Fusion, but none of them are close to working. I'm not trying to step on NewTek's toes here...it's more of a challenge now just trying to figure out the .dds colorspace :D

Thanks for your input.

Eric Pratt
07-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Well, all the colors are there, just not in the right order. I've tried Fusion and Photoshop, my guess would be that the converter is adding the alpha to one or more channels.