PDA

View Full Version : letters in vector

nnabdu
07-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Dears:
Which is the best software that can I write and draw a vector and then upload it to LW 10?

3DGFXStudios
07-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Adobe Illustrator. But you can also draw splines in modeler directly.

xemka
07-10-2011, 08:17 AM
save as .EPS in illustrator and use import EPSF loader in Modeler

Inkscape is an open source vector graphic editor, it can also export EPS

3DGFXStudios
07-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Make sure you save it as illustrator 8 or older

cresshead
07-10-2011, 03:51 PM
vector apps:

corel draw x5
illustrator
indesign
freehand 10
xara designer

a sandwhich
07-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Would inkscape qualify as an opensource alternative?

Dexter2999
07-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Would inkscape qualify as an opensource alternative?

Inkscape is vector but I haven't any joy in getting an EPS out that LW would work with.

jeric_synergy
07-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Inkscape is vector but I haven't any joy in getting an EPS out that LW would work with.
Dang.

Which would be faster: nagging Inkscape or nagging NewTek? --Come to think of it, here's another thing where Modeler sorely needs to be brought up to this century.

zardoz
07-10-2011, 04:50 PM
any software will do as long as you save in Illustrator 8 or older (.ai). I've always imported in this format without any problems

Bill Carey
07-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I've never had any luck saving to eps out of inkscape either. (It's inkscape I think, doesn't work in modo either)

Try saving in inkscapes native svg format, then use uniconvertor to translate to .ai.

shrox
07-10-2011, 05:57 PM
LW does have it's own text editor. Any compatible font in your windows font directory works.

Paul_Boland
07-10-2011, 07:18 PM
any software will do as long as you save in Illustrator 8 or older (.ai). I've always imported in this format without any problems

Unfortunately, that's the problem. I too would love to be able to import 2D art into Lightwave to Extend into 3D models but Adobe Illustrator is the ONLY software I've found to date that will do it fine. And I don't own that, I only had my hands on the 30 day demo and it's long expired :(. If anyone knows of another software that does this, that would be great!

cresshead
07-10-2011, 07:34 PM
get the 30 day demo or corel draw....then 30days after that the demo of xara designer...

Paul_Boland
07-10-2011, 07:48 PM
get the 30 day demo or corel draw....then 30days after that the demo of xara designer...

LOL!! But do any of them produce the proper EPS file that Lightwave can take in?

Paul_Boland
07-10-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm just after doing a test with the demo version of Corel Draw and it works perfectly!! I used the Auto Trace function in Coral Draw on a bitmap image, Saved it out as an Adobe Illustrator 8 file, and it loaded into Lightwave 10 fine. After Extending it, I have a 3D model of the shape :)!! Great stuff!!

jeric_synergy
07-11-2011, 12:15 AM
So, post a pic. I'm interested in how well the auto-trace feature works. In Photoshop, it's rubbish.

cresshead
07-11-2011, 01:35 AM
LOL!! But do any of them produce the proper EPS file that Lightwave can take in?

i wouldn't list them if they did not work
i use corel draw and xara at work most days.

cresshead
07-11-2011, 01:37 AM
there's also corel classic for those on a bugdet...look at the import/export features thou to check if it has eps.

dwburman
07-11-2011, 02:13 PM
There's a sloppy workaround if you have Photoshop.

You can export Photoshop paths as an illustrator file that Modeler will open. Unfortunately, it's just the paths, so you need to put the paths (2pt poly chains in modeler) in a background layer, draw out a box in a foreground layer, do a Drill operation (stencil works), then select and delete the non-letter bits.

4dartist
07-11-2011, 02:22 PM
But you can also draw splines in modeler directly.

I just threw up a little..

Paul_Boland
07-11-2011, 02:46 PM
So, post a pic. I'm interested in how well the auto-trace feature works. In Photoshop, it's rubbish.

Here you go. I went a bit overkill here and gave Corel Draw a photo to work with. I just selected Auto Trace from the Bitmap menu, it did its work, I saved as an Adobe Illustrator 8 file and imported the file into Lightwave 10 and here's the results. It's a bit rough given how much detail was in the photo for Corel's Trace command to work with, but it did a great job!! I'm sure with bitmap text it would work perfectly.

jeric_synergy
07-12-2011, 01:47 AM
I'm sure with bitmap text it would work perfectly.

Famous last words, just before an all-nighter. Uhhhh, thanks, but how about more of a real-world test? Like some client sends you a bitmap of his random logo, b/w?

Like these , as an example.

Laticis
07-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Corel X5 Auto Trace is very nice...

I have been using Corel for many years now. I have X5 at home and have been using AI at work ( just recently due to Win 7 not liking Corel 11 ) I am liking AI a great deal though.

AutoTrace in Corel X5 is a vast improvement from XI, it will do the job nicley.

Paul_Boland
07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Famous last words, just before an all-nighter. Uhhhh, thanks, but how about more of a real-world test? Like some client sends you a bitmap of his random logo, b/w?

Like these , as an example.

Here you go. When I imported the models, they are covered with a block of polygons. I selected these and deleted them revealing the models. The holes in the second logo were not present but the points making them up were present so I selected those points, stretched them so them were sticking out of the model, cut and paste them to a new layer, and then booleen them out of the main model making the holes. Works great!!

jeric_synergy
07-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Here you go. When I imported the models, they are covered with a block of polygons. I selected these and deleted them revealing the models. The holes in the second logo were not present but the points making them up were present so I selected those points, stretched them so them were sticking out of the model, cut and paste them to a new layer, and then booleen them out of the main model making the holes. Works great!!
Paul, very impressive!!! (and thanks for humoring my request!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Gentleman and a scholar 'e is!) That auto-trace kicks PSHop's butt all over the shop.

Any logo camera-ready art would definitely be doable with this.

BTW, my samples were from PShop's Shape Library, if you want to test the routine out on some more.

jeric_synergy
07-12-2011, 02:16 PM
I've been beating up PS's autotrace here, but nothing wrong with Adobe Illustrator's:

You have to remember to use EXPORT to get an old school, AIv8 file.

While this imports fine, AUTO AXIS DRILL hung my machine, so I'd have to do any drilling manually.

Since many users already have AI from Adobe bundles, this might save you investing in other software.

zardoz
07-12-2011, 05:08 PM
well I used photoshop for this. I simply dragged these jpgs from firefox to photoshop.
1 I placed them in an alpha channel
2 Ctrl click to make a selection
3 Selection to path
4 Export paths to illustrator
5 Import in lightwave. I didn't do anything else

jeric_synergy
07-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Which version of PS? Mine's olde.

gerry_g
07-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Any of the CS versions of Photoshop would/should have done what Zardoz did, has always worked for me that way. The problem with Photoshop is that unless you start with a vector results are not good as in way too many points and jaggies everywhere, Illustrators trace tool blurs the original bitmap for smoother results and allows you to control to some degree the point density of the vector and it's clean up tools post trace leave other packages standing, I hate Illustrator personally but this in one thing it excels at.

jeric_synergy
07-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I just tried w/CS2 on the floral example, and if you compare the actual bitmap with the "selection>>paths", it's got some pretty sloppy traces. And that's from a vector original. (Better than I expected though.)

For letters or fonts, I think it's the serifs where this most becomes an issue. Then the superior tracing in AI pays off.

WilliamVaughan
07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Photoshop does the trick.

zardoz
07-13-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm not going to compare Illustrator with Photoshop when it comes to vectors...my point was simply to show that it can be done with Photoshop. And as long as you work with paths the results can be as good as Illustrator.

jeric_synergy
07-14-2011, 01:52 AM
It's not the question of the paths per se, it's the question of the quality of the auto-trace. If you traced by hand in PShop, it'd be just fine, but who's got time for that?