PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX grass NOT looking quite right

Dreamcube017
07-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Hey guys.

I was following William's FiberFX grass video and everything was good up until this one part where he put the Clump setting up to 100 percent... I tried doing that and all the fibers gathered to one single point. He mentioned Fiber patches... but I don't see where I could add those. Does the plane have to have a LOT of faces? He didn't mention that either. He just said he had a plane... so I made a single faced plane. Then I tried it again with more faces... it kinda worked, but I think I still need more.

Any suggestions about how to clear this up? Thanks. I'm using LW10 to try this by the way.

gerry_g
07-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Clump centre will be around polly normal so yes for more clumps tessellate/subdivide mesh, FF is still broken and in need of fixes is prone to weirdness an showing you one thing in ogl and rendering something else entirely

tcoursey
02-09-2012, 07:38 AM
So in 9.6 or whatever William Vaughn was using on his demo video where CLUMP settings worked as expected and explained.... We no longer have that and it's totally based on Polygon Normals now?

What the heck!

So my one poly grass bed now needs to be like 1000 just to get "similar" clumping? I mean thats terrible. If there was a reason this needed to be implemented, let's give our users the "Option" to fall back on a previous setting. What a novel idea!

cagey5
02-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Clumping has always been on a per poly basis. So in Williams tute he will have had one poly for each blade of grass.

Personally I'd go the instance route these days.

tcoursey
02-09-2012, 12:27 PM
I may be missing something, but If you follow this tut on YouTube (notice his poly is not sub-d') You will not get the same result (AT ALL) in LW10 with FiberFX. It all stems around the Clumping as far as I can tell.

Only way I can find to get similar results is to (as previous poster mentions) turn poly into sub-d and then subdivide the number of clumps I want. :sleeping: Won't be using FiberFX for grass is this is the case!!! Thanks for removing such a great "opportunity" NT.

Please tell me I'm missing something. I totally could be, I'm very new to FFX. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2OctIgp9CU&list=UU1Qwnl5lU_HZsrs-Cqexapw&index=4&feature=plcp

tcoursey
02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Clumping as always been on a per poly basis. So in Williams tute he will have had one poly for each blade of grass.

Personally I'd go the instance route these days.

Don't have 11 yet, but we use HD Instance for cars and trees in our ArchViz but FiberFX looks to render much quicker and not need as much AA as it's rendered differently than polys...as far as I can tell.

cagey5
02-09-2012, 12:39 PM
I may be missing something, but If you follow this tut on YouTube (notice his poly is not sub-d') You will not get the same result (AT ALL) in LW10 with FiberFX. It all stems around the Clumping as far as I can tell.

Only way I can find to get similar results is to (as previous poster mentions) turn poly into sub-d and then subdivide the number of clumps I want. :sleeping: Won't be using FiberFX for grass is this is the case!!! Thanks for removing such a great "opportunity" NT.

Please tell me I'm missing something. I totally could be, I'm very new to FFX. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2OctIgp9CU&list=UU1Qwnl5lU_HZsrs-Cqexapw&index=4&feature=plcp

Again. No 'opportunity' has been removed. William was using one poly per blade of grass in that tute.

jasonwestmas
02-09-2012, 12:47 PM
LW 11 I think solves this FFX issue. There are more settings now. Try that if you have it.

tcoursey
02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
ok, I looked closer and see that when he presses render there are over 5,000 points and polys so he must be subdividing the "single plane" he speaks about. Very small thing, causes very big inconsistency.

I will dig deeper and stop moaning and groaning. Thanks for the support and direction.

tcoursey
02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
LW 11 I think solves this FFX issue. There are more settings now. Try that if you have it.

Thanks Jason, I'll look into it. We haven't upgraded yet so we are not on the BETA. But they say any day now! :)

jasonwestmas
02-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks Jason, I'll look into it. We haven't upgraded yet so we are not on the BETA. But they say any day now! :)

Yeah, you'll want to use the Gold Master anyway since there have been a lot of fixes since the last beta release.