PDA

View Full Version : NOOB Alert! Render time vs RAM

hevjudo
07-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Hi

I have had a brief search on this topic and have come across some information but not specific to my question..

Basically I have previously had 6G RAM on Windows 7, 64 bit and i7 920. I managed to get an upgrade to 12G of RAM. I thought I would see if it made a difference to the render time of one of my scenes... and there was no change.. (by the way.. version 10.1 build 2153)

I was wondering.. is there an ability to adjust the settings to utilise the extra RAM thereby increasing the render time.

I do a lot of digital painting in Corel painter 12 and in the preferences tab you can increase performance by modifying the amount of RAM it uses. My photoshop CS3 is 32 bit and anly as around 3G it can access.. but lightwave is 64bit so I would assume it would have access to all 12G??

All the best

Andrew

Danner
07-08-2011, 07:21 AM
The only way extra RAM increases speed is in situations where your OS or software stops using disc cache and starts using RAM instead. So unless you were running out of RAM you will not notice the difference. I have about half a dozen scenes that just refuse to load on a 4gb machine and render fine on one with more.

hevjudo
07-08-2011, 07:48 AM
No worries - thanks for the response.. :)

hevjudo
07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
so.. just to clarify.. there is nothing that you can do (similar to the corel painter example I made above) where you can adjust lightwaves usage of the available RAM?

Dexter2999
07-08-2011, 05:13 PM
RAM has to do with how large the scene is. If your scene isn't filling the RAM to begin with (and needing additional segments for rendering) then adding more RAM won't benefit you.

Speed is more dependent on CPU speed and cores available.

RAM on the other hand will benefit you in the area of caching previews in programs like After Effects.

hevjudo
07-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the clarification.. At least I know I could probably push my scenes a bit more..

erikals
07-09-2011, 07:25 PM
CPU all the way... (usually, unless scenes are huge)
buy an i7 "K" processor and over-clock...