PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxels to Mesh

Andyjaggy
07-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Is there anyway to convert a hypervoxel solution to a polygon mesh?

gerardstrada
07-07-2011, 05:09 PM
As far as I understand, Volumedic (http://www.volumedic.com/) has tools to create geometry from volumetric objects (volumetric datasets).

Gerardo

Andyjaggy
07-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I wondered if that was the only way. Unfortunately it is too expensive for this one task, that I may never need to do again.

gerardstrada
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Perhaps you could try with metaballs...

Gerardo

Mr Rid
07-09-2011, 01:51 PM
might find Acropora voxelogic interesting-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcuc_5yiU5Y

jeric_synergy
07-09-2011, 03:27 PM
I wondered if that was the only way. Unfortunately it is too expensive for this one task, that I may never need to do again.
SUBCONTRACT the task to someone who owns Volumedic.

prometheus
07-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Is there anyway to convert a hypervoxel solution to a polygon mesh?

No there isnīt.

Michael

gerardstrada
07-10-2011, 11:15 PM

Acropora looks indeed very interesting, but if you go for the subcontract route with Volumedic as jeric_synergy suggests, you'd need to provide slices from your HyperVoxel solution. In order Volumedic can import it, make your HV solution white and pass it through a black plane (let's say in +Z axis) the number of frames equal to the number of slices you need. At the middle of the path, flip your camera in -Z position and direction (stepped incoming curve), so that you can capture the shape as a continued whole. Set your camera properties (no mBlur) and resolution, save a sequence and that's all. The guy/girl with Volumedic will be able to import this sequence of images and export it as a .vol dataset to create a volume object and a polygonal mesh from there.

Gerardo

Elmar Moelzer
07-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I think that you can bake Hypervoxels too.
AFAIK, the baked HVs are simeple a Quicktime video of the Hvpervoxels.
Convert that into an image series and you should be all set.

prometheus
07-11-2011, 09:35 AM
I think that you can bake Hypervoxels too.
AFAIK, the baked HVs are simeple a Quicktime video of the Hvpervoxels.
Convert that into an image series and you should be all set.

yes ..only in 32 bit Lightwave thou, no proper quicktime support still in 64 bit systems as I know of.

I think the degree of resolution was a little to poor to get decent look also with baking of hypervoxels.

Michael

Andyjaggy
07-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Well I was mostly just contemplating the idea. I have a complex shape I need to model, and I thought I might be able to create the generic shape with some particles and a hypervoxel solution, but I would then need the ability to bake it to a mesh.

It was mostly just speculation, but since it seems there isn't an elegant solution right off the bat, I have decided to pursue another direction.

Thanks guys.

prometheus
07-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Well I was mostly just contemplating the idea. I have a complex shape I need to model, and I thought I might be able to create the generic shape with some particles and a hypervoxel solution, but I would then need the ability to bake it to a mesh.

It was mostly just speculation, but since it seems there isn't an elegant solution right off the bat, I have decided to pursue another direction.

Thanks guys.
I donīt know exactly what type you would like to generate to match a hypervoxel shape?

Another technique would be to use partigon emitter and at desired keyframe save out the partigons with the save transformed command, load it to modeler and create metaballs from that, but I think that would also be quite heavy on memory, perhaps set metaball resolution very low at first, this wouldnīt help with getting any detail from any type of hypervoxel textures either.

Michael