PDA

View Full Version : Reusing HardFX calculation with new geometry- Floating/Static Pieces?

JohnKocon
07-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Anyone try this before with any success?

I am simulating rocks in a rock tumbler - I used HardFX attached to an array of simple low-poly rocks with interaction set to 'box' to get the best particle interaction- after calculating my simulation, all looks good- so I saved the motion file.

My idea was to apply the motion file to a mass of points, that would have the same points or 'pieces' as there were rocks in my simulation. I was hoping to be able to then apply either hypervoxel drawing, or DP Instance to the moving points.

It ALMOST works- I can get the Hypervoxels, or instances to take on the motion from the simulation - EXCEPT that there is also a static mass of Hypervoxels, or Instances that appears at the origin of the simulation as well. Am I missing a setting somewhere, or is just a byproduct of using different geometry with the motion file?

JohnKocon
07-05-2011, 03:42 PM
*ehem* - well after playing around a little bit, I discovered that although I could replace the geometry from my saved motion file with a random scattering of points, I discovered that the motion file was only using some of the points- more specifically, the points that were close enough (I assume) to the pivots of the original parts - so I went back to my original rock geometry (that I wished to replace with points) and in Modeler used Construct>Collapse Polys - the result was an array of points that were all in the right position to be included in my motion file. I was then able to add the DP Instance (or Hypervoxels) to the points-

The result- editable rocks without rerunning the particle calculation.

yippee.

jeric_synergy
07-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for posting the resolution!!! I wish everybody did.