PDA

View Full Version : Help with Dynamics

michaeldejong
07-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi Just a quick question.

So if I have 5 rows, with 20 boxes in each row, and I then apply a hard body dynamic simulation - they fall and act the way (almost) I want them too. Now, if I have five sentences with about 20 letters each, and use 'Box' in the interaction field, I have to wait about 2 minutes for one frame to update.

I will not be viewing the individual characters very close so it would be ok if it used bounding-box dimensions to simulate their interaction.

However I can not figure out how to acchieve this ? I want the indivual letters to fall the same way the simple cubes did in the first simulation but its (obviously) processing much more data.

Any thoughts ?

:lwicon:

skywalker113
07-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Reduce the polygons of the letters if theres alot. Try object mode for collision type. Close all other applications such as the internet, then let it run for a couple hours when your not at the desk. Thats all I can think of...

3DGFXStudios
07-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Just don't use lw to do dynamics. Closing apps won't change a thing only if apps are rendering like crazy :D. If you need a couple of hours for a dynamic simulation there's something wrong with it.

daforum
07-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Do the same dynamic solution you first did to the boxes, and when calculated go to Edit FX (i think?) and make a path for each box (this will create a null too)

Then parent each letter to the null that is in the same position that each box/ letter starts in.
It may take a while to parent the letters but at least it'll be quicker to calculate and solve.

Hope this helps :)

Nangleator
07-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Make the letters as textures and use them as clip maps on boxes. That way, you don't have lots of points, and it will be just boxes, anyway.

Texturing will be labor intensive, so you'll have to come up with some clever tricks to save time.

XswampyX
07-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Use the sphere as your collision object. It will make the calculations just about fast enough.

michaeldejong
07-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Use the sphere as your collision object. It will make the calculations just about fast enough.

Thanks XswampyX :D

Nice paragraph btw. Never had a response given to me in the form of a scene before ... tyvm.

what you made actually leads me to just one more question, which settings did you change to make the individual characters start to rotate before colliding with anything ?

XswampyX
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
No problem. It's kind of hidden away.

Dynamics->Force->Rotation.

It's at the bottom.

XswampyX
07-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Just a small update....

Using box for the collision on the floor gives much better results with hardly any extra slow down. You will have to re-calculate the dynamics.

Cheers!

michaeldejong
07-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Thank you kindly sir :)

also, is there a way of using a weight map to determine the stretch limit of the polygons within the same mesh ?
(using a soft body simulation that is)

:lwicon: