PDA

View Full Version : towel material

ProPlanet
07-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Hello Guys,

I'm not sure if i post this in the right place, but anyway...

I'm trying to achieve a towel material that kind of looks like this:
http://www.rikegroup.com/assets/galleries/371/handdoeken_groothandel.jpg

I've been trying several different methods (normals, fiberFX) but i can't get to the result i'm hoping for.

I was hoping anybody overhere could help me on my way, because i really need believable towels in my renders.

Thank you.

bazsa73
07-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Show some test renders if you dont mind. And possibly a wire of the layout. I have time now, let's see together.

ProPlanet
07-05-2011, 12:25 AM
I didn't really saved any of those progress renders because they really sucked.
I also had to continue with the rest so i let the towels for what they were hoping someone here could push me in the right direction :)

I could try to see if i get the time to recreate what i had later this day to show here, but advice before that would be nice too.

Thank you.

ProPlanet
07-05-2011, 02:47 AM
Here's a render and a low poly wire view of my towels at the moment.
The texture is just a normal map at the moment, but this is the best result i came up with.

gordonrobb
07-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Hey that looks good to me. Only way you would be able to see the fibres (at the edge for example) is to use something for fibre effects, or displacements.

ProPlanet
07-05-2011, 03:38 AM
What would be a good node setup for a displacement map?
I haven't really used that before.

I found out fiberFX doesn't work with Kray which i'm using so that's not an option anymore.

ProPlanet
07-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Since we're on the subject of nodes anyway now...
I should really start learning about these, any suggestions on were to start?

XswampyX
07-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Try this node set up. Uses a texture to drive the face along it's normal. rather than distorting it all over the place. Both towels are the same model. One plain, the other displaced.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/FluffyTowel.jpg

Possibilities for grass?

Iain
07-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Hmmmmm.......very interesting XswampyX!

XswampyX
07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Indeed Iain. It will do a lot more. :hey:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/WhoHoo.jpg

Just a flat plane and a simple cube and sphere, the rest is pure displacement.

Sensei
07-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Is not multiplying vector by vector where X=Y=Z the same as using Math > Vector > Scale node?

XswampyX
07-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Yes it is.

It's just how my mind works. Thanks.

bazsa73
07-05-2011, 02:20 PM
But that looks very good, maybe a bit too much SSS but that can be helped.

Titus
07-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Here's a render and a low poly wire view of my towels at the moment.
The texture is just a normal map at the moment, but this is the best result i came up with.

I like your approach, very artistic (opposed to a more technical like the other options). Just put a fresnel-like shader to simulate micro-fiber shading.

ProPlanet
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Now that looks intresting :), first thing i'm gonna try tomorrow morning.

adk
07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Indeed Iain. It will do a lot more. :hey:

Just a flat plane and a simple cube and sphere, the rest is pure displacement.

Very neat XswampyX ! Thanks a bunch for the scene too. Definitely worth exploring regarding grass. I'm sure Pavlov will be all over this :thumbsup:

Bit of grass follow up ... had a bit of a play with this & concluded that it's ok for small areas. Anything bigger in scale would require an insane sub'd number / poly count. Shame as it's quite easy to set up.

Sensei
07-05-2011, 09:29 PM
In bucket renderer sub-patches and billion polygons are generated on the fly, when needed, when ray passes their area. But then bye bye VPR and real-time interactive previewers refining image with passes..

ProPlanet
07-06-2011, 01:58 AM
It works perfectly... untill i run out of resources and lightwave crashes... :-/