PDA

View Full Version : Tally Output

jhellein
10-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Ok, I have the pinouts and Newtek just emailed me the wiring diagram for the Tally port, I even have the help of an electrical engineer (who hasn't seen the diagram yet but has been working with me over the past couple of weeks) but I am still stuck and disappointed at Newtek's lack of support on this issue. Does Newtek simply not know the answer (perhaps the engineer who designed the Tally is no longer at Newtek)? Or, does Newtek reserve this information for third-party agreements so that I either have to buy a third-party Tally system or engineer the system on my own time?

There's my complaint, now here is my problem:

Currently, we know that if a video source is on either the Main or Preview bus that the current dips on the corresponding pin of the Tally port and the corresponding LEDs turn "on" on the SX-8. So, at any time, unless the Main and the Preview are on the same channel, there arel two hot pins/triggered LEDs.

The question that I put to Newtek support that they could not or would not answer is how, if the Main and Preview signals are on different channels (as wld be normal in a live switch) do I wire so as to indicate which camera is actually on the Main bus?

Is there a Software configuration that would allow me to disable the Preview Bus from triggering the LED?

If it matters: I am using VT3 and will be loading the first upgrade the next time I am at the machine.

If someone at Newtek reads this, perhaps there is a better answer and I just spoke to the wrong person?

Thank you in advance for any feedback on this issue.

hartley
10-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Unless something drastically has changed I'm under the impression that the tallys dont look at the preview at all. I've built two different circuits for use with the tally and you do not get the preview bus. The LED's on the SX-8 are identical to what you should be recieving externally if things are done properly.

Hartley

jhellein
10-08-2003, 11:54 AM
I will double-check for better detail but I know (read: "I am almost sure") I have seen two LEDs on the SX-8 when the Main and Preview buses were on different channels.

jhellein
10-08-2003, 12:28 PM
I sent an email to a Brett who offers a turnkey tally system (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=47163#post47163). He writes:

That is actually a bug... got [sic] your VT3 preferences and tell it you have the external switcher connected close the prefs.. and go back and change it back to not connected. That will fix it.

I will try this and see if it fixes the issue.