PDA

View Full Version : Light pass through objects?

Siegfried999
07-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi,

I have finished to create a kitchen in Lightwave but I don't find how to get the light pass through the window glass.

How to get light pass through an object ?

Thanks!

lertola2
07-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Turn on Raytrace Transparency in the Render Globals - Render tab and set your transparent surface to have some transparency.

Siegfried999
07-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks lertola2,

I found the problem, my spotlight was on Shadow Map instead of Raytrace.

But now with raytrace I can't get soft shadow. With area light, the window shadow is too soft.
I don't know what to do.... If you have an idea let me know.

probiner
07-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Try dome Light with very slight angle inputs

Siegfried999
07-03-2011, 11:14 AM
You mean change the Spotlight for a Dome Light or a Dome Light above the scene ?

probiner
07-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Try use dome light instead of spotlight, yes.

nickdigital
07-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Great looking image so far btw.

prometheus
07-03-2011, 05:20 PM
I suppose the dome light is the most close to sunlight we have in lightwave, the distant light cant give any soft shadows.

the lower angle you have on the dome light the more sharper shadow, something around 30,40 would probably be fine.

Area light can also work...

for outdoor scenes you might want to or you could try to use a dome light with default 90 degree angle for soft shadows lighting up the environment, and just clone that light and give the second dome light a low angle at 20-40 perhaps for sharper direct sunlight.

I wish the domelight also could be volumetric, that would be nice.

Michael

Siegfried999
07-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I tried with Area and Dome, and it is what I get. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I lower the angle to 10 and the shadow is really too soft, I just want soft edges.
Same thing with Area Light.

Thanks nickdigital! ...I'm really not satisfied with this scene, the bread look cartoonish, the metal can be better looking and
so on....but I have no more time. It's for my portfolio and I must get this ready for tomorrow.
I'm working on three scenes in same time and this is my first interior scene in Lightwave by the way ;)

Mr Rid
07-03-2011, 10:29 PM
I would use an area light, then the smaller you scale it, the sharper the shadows.

Danner
07-04-2011, 01:41 AM
you could also use different lights for different things, have your glass on a different layer then have a shadow mapped light that ignores the glass for example.

ericsmith
07-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I would use an area light, then the smaller you scale it, the sharper the shadows.

Or the further away. The thing to consider here is what kind of light are you trying to replicate? If you want the light coming in through the window to look like direct sunlight, then use an area light that's very far away. Then find a scale for the light that gives the approprate ratio of size to distance.

If the light coming in is not direct sunlight, then the shadows should be very soft, and something like a dome light (or radiosity, or a few large area lights) will give that effect.

Eric

clagman
07-05-2011, 03:02 PM
A dome light should be set to something like 2 (or so) to properly simulate the sun assuming the rest of the scene is to scale. Then you can either make another for environment/atmosphere lighting or use a textured environment. Make the dome light slightly yellow.

arrow1234
08-24-2011, 07:39 AM
sorry to bump the old post, but how does "lertola2" (#2) make the spotlight shedding soft shadow?

biliousfrog
08-24-2011, 07:57 AM
sorry to bump the old post, but how does "lertola2" (#2) make the spotlight shedding soft shadow?

The shadows have hard edges, the light itself has a soft edge.

If you want a spot light with a soft edge (or a direct light with soft edge) grab DPonts lights for Lightwave

Hieron
08-24-2011, 08:34 AM
grab DPonts lights for Lightwave

+1

Use DP Infinite. Nice light. And set it to 2 or 3 degrees or so.