PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up Color UI Lw 10.0

prometheus
07-01-2011, 03:57 PM
I was playing around with the demo of turbulence and it was halting, I had to shut down the program, and suddenly when I was trying to restart lightwave 10 64 bit. my color scheme got really screwed up, I also get a requester that it cant find a file and it seems to be looking for a color table file.

How come this happened, it has been working nicely a long time up until now.

I do have 10.1 installed also but that should be using completly different configs.

Michael

funk
07-02-2011, 12:11 AM
There are 2 ways for this to happen (that I know of):

1. You loaded a 10.1 scene into 10
2. You ran lw10 while the 10.1 hub was still running (or vice versa)

The new CS options format then gets written to your lw10 configs and when 10 starts up it doesnt know what to do. You get the results you see on your screen

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119417

prometheus
07-02-2011, 05:23 AM
There are 2 ways for this to happen (that I know of):

1. You loaded a 10.1 scene into 10
2. You ran lw10 while the 10.1 hub was still running (or vice versa)

The new CS options format then gets written to your lw10 configs and when 10 starts up it doesnt know what to do. You get the results you see on your screen

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119417

Yes indeed I was running lightwave 10.1 32 bit while using lightwave 10 64 bit, so that might have caused it.
I read that warning just a couple of days before I did this, strange that one doesnīt pay attention.

So I guess clearing the Lightwave 10 config will get it back to normal then?

Michael

funk
07-02-2011, 07:38 AM
thats right

prometheus
07-02-2011, 07:53 AM
thats right

Thanks..I cleared the configs, and Itīs back to normal except I have to set up the turbulence fluids menuīs again...or install lightwave 10.1 64 bit too of course.

I never installed the 32 bit version of lightwave 10, but I needed to use and test some pictrix plugins and the crackit plugin, so I just installed the 32 bit version of 10.1..and of course used the modeler of lightwave 10.1 32 bit and the Layout 64 bit 10.0... so that is not something you should do...with them both open at the same time.

Michael

Cageman
07-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks..I cleared the configs, and Itīs back to normal except I have to set up the turbulence fluids menuīs again...or install lightwave 10.1 64 bit too of course.

I never installed the 32 bit version of lightwave 10, but I needed to use and test some pictrix plugins and the crackit plugin, so I just installed the 32 bit version of 10.1..and of course used the modeler of lightwave 10.1 32 bit and the Layout 64 bit 10.0... so that is not something you should do...with them both open at the same time.

Michael

If it happens again, there is an easy way to fix it.

Open your LW10.cfg file and search for Colorspace

It should look like this:
ColorSpaceViewer sRGB
ColorSpaceSurfaceColor sRGB
ColorSpaceLightColor sRGB
ColorSpacePaletteFiles sRGB
ColorSpace8BitFiles sRGB

but, what happens when you load a scenefile from LW10.1 into 10.0 ist that things are added to this part of the config, so it ends up looking like this:
ColorSpaceViewer "sRGB"
ColorSpaceSurfaceColor "sRGB"
ColorSpaceLightColor "sRGB"
ColorSpacePaletteFiles "sRGB"
ColorSpace8BitFiles "sRGB"

This is due to a new feature in LW10.1 that allows for colorspace presets to be generated and stored and since the feedback to NT was that people wanted to be able to use spaces in the names of these presets, the only way to make that work correctly was to add those ""

So, you simply delete the "" on all entries. Also, make sure to go through LW10HUB configfile as well.

So... no need to totally trash your configs and start over from scratch.

:)

prometheus
07-02-2011, 01:33 PM
What the f...

yeah I corrected the UI..by clearing the configs..

I started up modeler lightwave 10.0 64 bit and created a simple ball, and once I tried to send it to Layout..I got that same error requester "cant file file" and it is trying to find the es color file and after some annoying closing of those error messages the Layout of lightwave 10.0 goes screwed up again with the same colors as posted before.

I didnīt have lightwave 10.1 opened at this time...

Most annoying.

prometheus
07-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I cleared the configs again, this time I just opened modeler first and closing to save new configs.

I had some issues that it didnīt work to send the objects to layout, had to close modeler and start layout and switch to modeler from there..looks okey now..but who knows, if it starts to mess up again, then I have to skip lw 10.0 and install only the 10.1 64 bit I guess.

Michael

funk
07-02-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm sure you already know this, but I'll put it here to benefit any newer users:

When you clear configs, you need to start up modeler and layout so they both register with the hub. Make sure you are launching the correct modeler and layout too. Also make sure they are both using the same config path (if you are redirecting). Then close out of everything so the configs get written to.

Modeler should not even be able to launch layout unless you start it once and it registers in the hub. If it can, then it's reading config files from somewhere. If you are redirecting configs, also check the default locations too (maybe there is a bug)

speismonqui
09-14-2011, 04:33 PM
well, it happened again. Now I got the layout colors back but no buttons (left or top) whatsoever. My keyboard doesn't work, etc.
I'm very upset but I'll try to keep it nice.
WHY NT WHYYYYY????????, this is absurd, I just opened an 10.1 file in my 10.0 LW and my layout doesn't work anymore, I replaced all the stupid " " with sRGB and nothing!
now I can't work, can I???
Im sorry for being too bitty but I just don't get it. Are you trashing your own customers and potential buyers with this annoying thing?
What can I do? yeah, easy... install 10.1 (well, that's just nonsense)

BTW, I opened a scene file from the 10.1 FREE TRIAL content on YOUR site!
http://newtek.com/lightwave-downloads.html
so, how about a little note: "If you open this content on a version 10 LW, it will completely ruin your UI, Cheers and have fun!"

speismonqui
09-14-2011, 04:42 PM
well this isn't funny at all!

jwiede
09-14-2011, 05:48 PM
I agree this MUST get a better solution. Users can't automatically distinguish LW9.6, LW10 and LW10.1 scenes without looking at the files, yet are being put in a position where we _must_ know which version generated the file because otherwise we'll corrupt our configs if we reload 10.1 scenes in 10. By the time we know we've made a mistake and loaded a 10.1 file in 10.0, it's already too late.

The current behavior by LW just isn't acceptable: Corrupting our configs IS STILL user data loss, only slightly less severe than losing geometry or scene data. Newtek, please fix this problem!

speismonqui
09-14-2011, 06:16 PM
thanks to steve0077 for his help. Got my layout back after deleting my config files, it was very easy BTW, but I must admit I've never had to do that before this, so the "trick" was very unfamiliar. I still feel like an idiot but JWiede is completely right: how come a software can get currupted by his own filetype???

Between this, the newtek new website disaster and ALL about CORE since the weird website counter like three years ago... I don't know what to think about NT/LW anymore.

prometheus
09-15-2011, 02:59 AM
same pain here..

I havenīt properly worked with Lw10.1 since the very reason of the possibilities to screw up color configs.

One solution would be to simply remove the 10.0 version and only work with the 10.1

However I am working a bit with the old dynamite plugin, wich doesnīt work at all in 10.1 but works in 10.0 a little except for crashing with vpr when used on particles.
So I would still like to have 10.0 installed as well, until I can see a fix of that in 10.1 (if ever?)

Same goes with work files from my job, I am refusing to install 10.1 there due to the risc of screwed up configs.

Now we got this great LW 10.1 out....and I donīt dare to use it...ridiculous.

First thing LW10.1 should have completly different color on the icons compared to 10.0

Unfortunatly Newtek hasnīt been able to provide a warning requester inside lightwave..would have been a good thing to do with a script or plugin perhaps to load in lw10 and 10.1 to evaluate the diffence directly and warn and abort before loading.

and how should the community pass on scenefiles over the forum, constantly warn about the scenefiles etc? and sometimes someone forgets and voila screw ups?

Iīm Not very happy with this..

Michael

Hieron
09-15-2011, 03:53 AM
same pain here..

I havenīt properly worked with Lw10.1 since the very reason of the possibilities to screw up color configs.

Iīm Not very happy with this..

Michael

Ow it's not that hard to get it cleared up. Don't delete all your config files, just delete anything about the CS in both the .cfg file and your scene file you may want to load into 10.0 or older. Should be a minute or 2 of work, tops. Unless there's multiple odd routes to this bug, but I doubt it.

prometheus
09-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Ow it's not that hard to get it cleared up. Don't delete all your config files, just delete anything about the CS in both the .cfg file and your scene file you may want to load into 10.0 or older. Should be a minute or 2 of work, tops. Unless there's multiple odd routes to this bug, but I doubt it.

Yeah that makes life easier..

speismonqui
09-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Newtek should make Lightwave easier..

Matt
09-16-2011, 09:54 PM
I agree this MUST get a better solution

We cannot retro fix a build that is out there, the simple fix is to use 10.1, it's free and is better than 10.

gordonrobb
09-17-2011, 03:58 AM
Can I just check the state of this. ARE we saying that scenes saved in 10.1 don't work in 10.0 (or at least will screww up the 10.0 configs?)

prometheus
09-17-2011, 05:52 AM
We cannot retro fix a build that is out there, the simple fix is to use 10.1, it's free and is better than 10.

Well...I would like to work a little with the dynamite plugin, unfortunatly it doesnīt work with Lightwave 10.1 but it works in lightwave 10.0
Thatīs why I wonīt remove 10.0

simple fix to this would be to urge Newtek to look in to fixing Lightwave 10.1 to work with dynamite..or simply improve on Hypervoxels to match some of dynamites lovely features, since no attention has been made to hvīs over years.

So in this case...No! lightwave 10.1 isnīt better.
We could go on and blabbing on dynamite not supported anymore, but
it doesnīt fix the issue either.

http://vimeo.com/user680656/videos

prometheus
09-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Can I just check the state of this. ARE we saying that scenes saved in 10.1 don't work in 10.0 (or at least will screww up the 10.0 configs?)

Yes as far as I know of it...loading a 10.1 scene in 10.0 will screw up the UI color configs.

Michael

Cageman
09-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Quick solution:

1) Copy your LW10.0 configs and store them somewhere safe
2) Write-protect LW10.0 configs so that, no matter what happens, the configs will stay intact and as such, you will not get your LW10.0 screwed up when loading LW10.1 scenes.

jwiede
09-17-2011, 09:54 PM
As noted, there are some plugins which work with 10.0 but not 10.1. Until they do, "use 10.1" is not a 100%-compatible fix/solution.

I don't see why Newtek can't release a fixed build of the 10.0 application (label as "unsupported" if need be) which contains the format fix to deal with quotes. Simply branch at 10.0 release, cherrypick quote change(s), and so forth. It does require effort, no question, but again, this issue is causing users unexpected data-loss so some effort seems kind of reasonable.

If fixing 10.0 is totally off the table, then add a switch in prefs to 10.1(.1) to force saving in 10.0-compatible format, so that folks working in mixed 10.0/10.1 environments can at least work safely. That doesn't totally solve the data loss that occurs when unsuspecting users load 10.1 content into 10.0, but it'd still be an improvement over the current situation.

While at it, add "Save 10.0 scene..." to the save options in 10.1(.1). It's kind of silly we can save in 4.0 format, but not 10.0 -- we're much more likely these days to need scenes in 10.0 format than 4.0 format.

If bumping the "format version" of the files would prevent 10.0 from loading them, re-releasing 10.1 with bumped format version should also be considered, IMO. The current situation is corrupting configurations, and the fixes are neither technically simple nor quick. Bumping the format version to make 10.1 unreadable in 10, while providing a small script/program to convert 10.1 scenes into "10.0-compatible" is still much more user-friendly than just letting them arbitrarily corrupt their configurations.

Newtek should also consider providing a script/program to fix 10.0 configurations which have been corrupted -- instructing users to hand-edit configuration files is as likely to create new problems as it is to fix their existing ones.

prometheus
09-18-2011, 04:46 AM
well spoken Jwiede:thumbsup:

Michael

gordonrobb
09-18-2011, 05:47 AM
I agree. Incompatibility between versions is one thing, something that causes corruption is another.

Lewis
09-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Quick solution:
1) Copy your LW10.0 configs and store them somewhere safe
2) Write-protect LW10.0 configs so that, no matter what happens, the configs will stay intact....

I didn't try this but i wonder would that work since LW always saves to configs wen you exit program, That ridiculous "system" exit to save when you change any shortcuts or window positions or menu buttons or add plugins and basically everything up to resizing window :(.

Why can't we have normal save prefs/configs/workspaces button/option like all other applications is beyond my understand :(.

Cageman
09-22-2011, 04:49 PM
I didn't try this but i wonder would that work since LW always saves to configs wen you exit program, That ridiculous "system" exit to save when you change any shortcuts or window positions or menu buttons or add plugins and basically everything up to resizing window :(.

Why can't we have normal save prefs/configs/workspaces button/option like all other applications is beyond my understand :(.

If you are going to change your prefs in LW, yes, you need to unprotect your configs. The safest way to do that is to:

1) Make sure everything related to LW10.1 is closed down, HUB included.
2) Start LW10.0 and close it.
3) Remove the write protection on your configs
4) Open Layout/Modeler, add your plugins, customize your menus, exit program(s), including HUB
5) Write protect your configfiles

EDIT: LW is not alone in this behaviour though. Maya have some interesting things that needs a setup/exit program procedure in order to "get it".

wk_ayu
04-02-2012, 05:10 AM
Dammit ,it dosen't work ! LW would save even i write protect (read only) to cfg. By the way, my problem was made between LW10 & LW11 ..., and LW 10 always can't work normally!