PDA

View Full Version : Explosion ring afterwave

ridasaleeb2
07-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Remember that famous star wars ring explosion? How do you get that wavy afterburn/smoke on that ring explosion- you know- that comes off the ring following it in a specific "S" shape? And uniform throughout the whole ring.
Rida2

Simon-S
07-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Can you maybe post a youtube link to the kind of thing you are talking about?

ridasaleeb2
07-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Here it is:

3DGFXStudios
07-01-2011, 06:14 AM
really a bmp?

nickdigital
07-01-2011, 06:24 AM
You could model a strip that has a procedural running down it. Scale the procedural so it's longer on the short axis. You'll want to add a transparency ramp so there's a solid leading edge. Then use the Bend tool to make a morph of the strip into a ring.

In Layout apply your morph to your strip and center it by parenting it to a null and offsetting it into place. Animate your ring getting larger and you should be good to go.

For an After Effects solution you could look into this:
http://aescripts.com/yy_shockring/

prometheus
07-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Wich star wars episodes are you talking about here?

If you can find a youtube reference, that would help before I would suggest anything.

Michael

vector
07-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Im not sure if it is what you are looking for... and its an old tutorial but it could help you: http://www.artde3.com/pierre/explodingles.htm

Victor

XswampyX
07-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I knocked this up for you.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BoomRing.jpg

It needs some more work. :)

nickdigital
07-01-2011, 05:24 PM
This is what the technique I described makes.

Elmar Moelzer
07-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Nick, that is the way we used to do it before LW got UV mapping.
Nowadays I would just UV map the bugger and save myself the hassle of making a morph. You can use the textured filter in an empty image to map a procedural to the ring.
Either way, this old trick still works very well. It is how many of the explosion rings on well known movies and TV- shows were made.

prometheus
07-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Nowadays I would just UV map the bugger and save myself the hassle of making a morph. You can use the textured filter in an empty image to map a procedural to the ring.
Either way, this old trick still works very well. It is how many of the explosion rings on well known movies and TV- shows were made.

Were made?..would be interesting to know exactly what technique they used for mentioned topic question..or what they tend to use Now.

Heads up for that old school knowledge anyway:thumbsup:
Im still waiting for the thread head poster to direct to the exact movie sample.

Michael

nickdigital
07-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Good tip Elmer. I guess I'm just old school, :D.

I will try yours out though as it sounds cleaner. With the morph one you end up with a seam where the ring comes together.

Elmar Moelzer
07-02-2011, 11:33 AM
With the morph one you end up with a seam where the ring comes together.
Which is why I am using UVmaps now. Plus you do not need a morph to get your final look for the object. It just feels so weird that way.
But both work very well. I still used the morph version last time I did that (I think... its been years).
And yes, that techniqze was used for many shots of that kind.

ridasaleeb2
07-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Episode 4 at 1.52.30. or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7hn3XImO0U
Thanks everyone so far.
Keep up this Good Discussion.
Soon I will summarize my trials over last 2 months.
...:tcicon:
Also huge problem in GLOW overlap cancellations (esp.using partigons or hypervoxels.) when the ring dissolves in the background -see attachment.
rida2

dwburman
07-03-2011, 08:52 PM
There's another technique using a V shape ring (think a donut with a sharp outer edge and no inner edge). Use a marble texture (or a weightmap) for the leading edge and another procedural set to world space for the smoky trail. Marble is used because, if you have the vein distortion/turbulence you get a nice predictable, yet variable line.

Edit: I put together a scene for y'all to dissect. It could use a bit more tweaking, but the basics are there.