PDA

View Full Version : Masks and keyframes in CG?

jdavidbakr
10-08-2003, 09:16 AM
OK, here is what I am trying to do, and I want to know the most painless and fastest way to set up a template to do it:

We have an animated title that we built in After Effects. It has in all three layers: a logo that flies across the screen and parks on the left side, and as it flies across it reveals the title beneath it, along with the bar beneath that. What we are wanting to do is re-build this in the VT3 so that we can quickly (and I emphasize _quickly_) build a dozen or so pages from this template with different text. We have the foreground layer (the logo flying across) and the background layer (the bar behind being revealed), what I want to do is layer these three elements with the CG text in the middle wiping on in the appropriate fashion.

I tried working in Aura, but from what I can tell there is not an easy way to even change the text once it has been placed in the sequence, and I definitely don't want to have to rebuild that layer (I want to keep this as simple as possible - we will be remaking these every week!). My preferred method is to do it in the CG but I can't find a way to do the wipe, or to add the animated layers above and beneath. Any ideas?

Steve Thompson
10-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Hi Jon,

You can do this in Aura. It's not great but this is what I've done.

!. Make sure you are working in layers. (I'm sure you are)
2. Save your keyframes for your flying text that you want to change such as "flying text x" or "flying text y"
3. Save your project.

Now when you open up your project, just create a new layer with new text and apply your saved keyframes and render out your new flying title.

Not great but it does work.

Good luck,
Steve

jdavidbakr
10-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Steve,

I think I found the most painless way, I'm now doing it in VTEdit. I'm making the titles in the CG, and then bringing them into VTEdit. I built the cropping mechanism in VTEdit and that works great. Right now I'm having to drag the new CG page into a dourth track, copy it, and then paste it into the other track, and then delete the new fourth track... is there a way to replace a clip in the timeline straight from the file bin?

ScorpioProd
10-09-2003, 12:54 AM
If you hold down ALT after you grab a clip in the bin you can drop it over any clip in the timeline and it will inherit that clips attributes and replace it.

jdavidbakr
10-09-2003, 11:23 AM
A-ha! Wonderful! Thanks, Eugene!

bradl
10-10-2003, 02:38 PM
Inherit is a wonderful thing! But for long term speed and flexiblity, you may want to consider using a User Preset in the Toolshed.