PDA

View Full Version : Deadline render Problems

Slick Systems
06-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Hi all,

Quick question about distributed rendering using Deadline render.

I am using a third party to render an animation who use Deadline render as their software of choice. In the Ani I'm using interpolated GI monte Carlo and seem to be suffering from the old flicker problems inherent to interpolated radiosity solutions. I set up the scene to use a cache file and ticked the animation box with a frame step of 15, however when the renderfarm guys get the project, they are having trouble with flicker on the animation.

Somebody is sure to have had this issue before and I was wondering how they overcame the issue?

Also they seem to be suffering from not being able to distribute the GI baking is there a way to do this?

07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
almost inevitably the cache is not being read - could be mapping or anything - I've never tried packaging a cache file though.
No chance they could open the scene in LW & re-make the cache?

dwburman
07-04-2011, 12:16 AM
I don't have experience with this situation, but are you/they baking the cache file on one machine before trying to network render? Not sure if that makes a difference.

Phil
07-04-2011, 02:17 AM
I am using a third party to render an animation who use Deadline render as their software of choice. In the Ani I'm using interpolated GI monte Carlo and seem to be suffering from the old flicker problems inherent to interpolated radiosity solutions. I set up the scene to use a cache file and ticked the animation box with a frame step of 15, however when the renderfarm guys get the project, they are having trouble with flicker on the animation.

Deadline isn't the issue, more than likely. It's the nodes not finding the cache file. Deadline allows the logs to be recalled for each node, using the monitor, so it should be a quick job of finding out where the nodes are looking for the cache file and ensuring it is available in that location.

Knowing what version/build of LW they are running on the nodes would also be helpful. The log will tell you this (at least the build number) as well.

Slick Systems
07-11-2011, 02:14 AM
All very useful info guys, the chap at rendernation told me that looking at the status of the renders you can see the cache file is being read by the nodes, however I'll clarify this. They are running LW 10 not sure of the build number but it will be whatever the last major release was as they bought it/upgraded it specifically to do my jobs!!

As for baking the cache file they baked it themselves. I'm beginning to wonder if it's my scene that's causing the problems, as I'm a relative novice on lighting setups. The scene is of a stadium however

dwburman
07-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I think I've seen Mr. Rid advocating just using straight Monte Carlo and high AA with the Classic Camera... or perhaps it was rending 2x the normal size and scaling it down in post.

I know I've read some threads on flicker free GI on this forum.

Brazilian
07-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Make sure it's reading the right path. For me I stared at the LWSN output several times before I realized it was wrong, as the difference was subtle.

LW10 saves relative paths in the scene if the cache file is somewhere under the Content Directory path... but when you re-loading the scene in Layout or render via LWSN, it's re-writing the path to be the content dir, plus the custom 'Radiosity' directory set in your prefs, plus your cache filename.

LW9.x seemed to always write non-relative paths for the cache in the scene, but you could manually edit it to be relative and it would work as expected based on the content directory as the root. In LW10, not so much.

I have a bug filed on this.

Slick Systems
07-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Hmmmm! bizarre my last post was cut in half!! :-(

Nevermind, All I was saying was that the scene is a stadium with area lighting from the outside, with shadows off to allow the light to pass through the object and thereby illuminate the interior. There is one external area light with shadows on set as a sun light.
To combat the flicker I added 30+ spots inside the stand I'm trying to render, this has helped reduce the flicker to the corners of the rooms however It would be nice to solve this problem. I'm convinced it's the cache file not being read or created correctly as it should surely solve the flicker when it's used properly? I know it won't solve the blochiness in the corners which can usually only be solved by increasing RPE and AA respectively, I just need the flicker gone. Admittedly the RPE setting is quite low 200, and my AA was set to 12. Also using a real lens cam if it has any bearing. Have read Excepts Guide and judging by what he suggests in it the settings I have used should work reasonably well especially with the cached rad calcs. I'm no expert on distributed rendering or lighting setups in general so I can only go by what little experience I have had.