PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with polygons

lonewriter
06-29-2011, 09:12 PM
I converted my mesh from Max to Lightwave recently because I liked Lightwave better so I bought it, now I have a problem, a lot of the polygons were flipped, that was easy to fix once I learned how but some are so badly damaged they need replacing, I tried selecting the points and creating new polygons but that didn't work and now I don't know what to do, I could really use some advice, thanks.

nickdigital
06-29-2011, 09:17 PM
When you select your points and make a poly is it making the polygon? When you select the points are you getting the right number of points or more than you expected? If you're getting more than you expected then the problem is in your mesh in general. You could make your poly and then do a merge on that poly to merge down the points that are sitting on top of each other.

Having more info on your problem would help as I'm just guessing what your problem is.

lonewriter
06-29-2011, 11:23 PM
thanks for advice, I'll try that. I'm pretty new to modeler so it will take me a long time to figure this out, I'll probably have a lot more questions.

Sensei
06-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Try Merge Points, then Unify Polys, then Unify Normals.
Open Polygons Statistics window and select all bad polygons with >= 5 vertexes and do something with them.

rcallicotte
06-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Like Sensei said and include deleting 2Point polys while in polygon mode in the Statistics window.

Another thing to check - the order in which you select your points to make the poly.

07-01-2011, 11:26 AM
we often clean up by selecting by surface, cutting & pasting onto separate layers, then merge pointing & deleting 2 point polys & doing a visual inspection for the internal webs beloved of Autodesk modeling before using Align Polys