PDA

View Full Version : The Worlds most valuable historical filmed Event?

prometheus
06-29-2011, 06:59 PM
What would you name as the worlds Nr one important historical filmed Event.

Interesting to hear since some things might have different meaning and impact to people..some things may impact us personally and some nation wide..and then thereīs some events that rises the eyebrows of almost any nation in awe, admiration or in horror and despair.

Do you think..as I do?

Michael

Hominid 3D
06-29-2011, 10:07 PM
The 9/11 footage has been the most memorable for me, mainly for total shock and dimension of the events.

I even noticed how popular big scale and city-wide has become since then in american movies, so I guess Iīm not alone with this.

Not sure Iīd call it the most "valuable" historical event, but it sure is the one with the biggest impact Iīm aware of.

3D Kiwi
06-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Footage of the holocaust. To remind us that all humans can be arseholes. And to remind us not to be arseholes.

wrench
06-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Moon landing - proof that man can be more than arseholes.

B

3D Kiwi
06-30-2011, 01:31 AM
I thought the moon landing was fake. Didnt they use Lightwave for that :-)

Iain
06-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Footage of the World War I&II horrors for sure.
I think if they hadn't been filmed then it would seem like a much longer time ago and we would be able to forget.
A lot of it is almost unbearable to watch.

Closely followed by the many cases of famine and dictatorship going on today. I think its essential that we have records of how backward we still are so that we can be embarrassed into action.

In 100 years time we will surely look like a barbarous and delusionally self important tribe shamed into donating money with images of children starving to death.

prometheus
06-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Yes indeed the 9/11 hits on the towers are indeed dramatic and left a personal shock being very aware of it at the moment it happen and with all the newsfeed directly...
I remember we Had some silent minutes at work when it was announced.

However I consider the moonlanding probably to be the most impacting filmed event in mankind...a monument of mankinds exploring nature and success in completing
extrem missions.

I also think I would place the Hiroshima bomb higher in the list than 9/11
Maybe 50 000 people killed within seconds, and estimated 90-160 000 In the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
It also showed us the horrible effect of such a weapon wich up til this day affect us very much.
Keep this in mind while doing Your mushroom nukes in LW.

The same goes for the images of the holocoust and the camps where jewīs
were being exterminated...It didnīt happen while I was alive, but those images are so burnt in to memory portraiting some of the worst sides of mankind and happenings in the history..In school You just couldnīt take it in that it was for real.

Our recorded history and events are most likely to show mankind in a shamed point of view, anyway..the moonlanding will stand tall as a counterpart.
Sad that Nasa seems to shut down, but countries need to take care of their own and feed them before long journeys are done I guess.

Michael

Titus
06-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Moon landing, maybe atomic bomb comes second, Hitler in Paris.

Cryonic
06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
The same goes for the images of the holocoust and the camps where jewīs
were being exterminated...It didnīt happen while I was alive, but those images are so burnt in to memory portraiting some of the worst sides of mankind and happenings in the history..In school You just couldnīt take it in that it was for real.

Just to add to this: there were just as many non-jews killed in the concentration camps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust#Non_Jewish

And Stalin wasn't much better. Estimates of deaths under his regime go as high as 20,000,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin#Calculating_the_number_of_victims

robertoortiz
06-30-2011, 12:18 PM
The Hindenburg Disaster is right there on top ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAT9xvTVKI

SBowie
06-30-2011, 12:55 PM
JAnd Stalin wasn't much better. Estimates of deaths under his regime go as high as 20,000,000.Don't forget Pol Pot when listing mass murderers.

Nangleator
06-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Wright brothers' flight, then the moon landing, just 66 years later.

I'd say the war and atrocity footage doesn't actually affect us, substantially. We keep doing it. The horror of previous wars doesn't stop those in power from starting new ones. There are still people calling for genocide, and people working at it.

MrWyatt
06-30-2011, 01:40 PM
the CORE Reveal video.

... meh, just kidding.

Lightwolf
06-30-2011, 01:42 PM
I'd say the war and atrocity footage doesn't actually affect us, substantially.
While I sadly agree... do any of the other filmed events?

I'd say that filmed events by themselves - especially coupled with the more modern live transmissions - are what transformed the world as lot in the past century or so.

However, valuable? I suppose that depends on how it's defined.
I'd personally still pick WWII + aftermath imagery - mainly because it still is a valuable(!) reminder.
Even if it's sometimes forgotten or ignored.

Cheers,
Mike

Rayek
06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Wright brothers' flight, then the moon landing, just 66 years later.

I'd say the war and atrocity footage doesn't actually affect us, substantially. We keep doing it. The horror of previous wars doesn't stop those in power from starting new ones. There are still people calling for genocide, and people working at it.

If it does not affect us, why was the US government (and the same goes for any other government involved with war) so bent on making sure no truly bloody footage of the last couple of invasions (Iraq, Afghanistan to name a few) was shown on national television? Remember Vietnam?

But yes, television in itself is a very limited method of communication. It works wonders for yes-no / left-right and other artificially created divisions, though.

cresshead
07-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Moon landing - proof that man can be more than arseholes.

B

:agree:

Elmar Moelzer
07-02-2011, 06:17 AM
For me it is the moonlanding.

prometheus
07-02-2011, 06:20 AM
For me it is the moonlanding.

I was talking to my brother yesterday after a gathering of our family and our mothers funeral, and while we were talking about worldy things I mentioned this question about what he would think as the most important filmed event..
He directly mentioned the Moonlanding too.

A question arises regarding those epic world uttered by Neil Armstrong...
A small step for man, but a giant leap for mankind..

was it really a Giant leap as we know of it today? did it boost are collective humanity, or our did it boost our engineering excellence in such
way we expected, or is all that still under evolution?

Michael

cresshead
07-02-2011, 11:14 AM
A question arises regarding those epic world uttered by Neil Armstrong...
A small step for man, but a giant leap for mankind..

was it really a Giant leap as we know of it today? did it boost are collective humanity, or our did it boost our engineering excellence in such

Michael

Yes we see the fruits of the space race and the moon landings all around us, from mobile phones, laptops, batteries, computers, tv, medicine advances, cameras, advances of all kinds...all because of the cold war and the ensuing space race.

also just how fragile our planet can be...hanging their all alone in space.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/03/02/article-1254834-0888DEDB000005DC-368_470x392.jpg

Nangleator
07-02-2011, 11:28 AM
The world we live in today is so much a result of the moon program, it argues strongly for another such national program. It doesn't have to be a space thing. Fred Clark, Slacktivist, (http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2010/11/fix-the-deficit-cure-diabetes.html) has suggested a national program to cure diabetes. It's a brilliant article, and a fix for our national piggy bank, too.

Elmar Moelzer
07-02-2011, 11:43 AM

I think that the path to the moonlanding is what was even greater than the actual landing itself. A gigantic coordinated and well executed engineering effort, truly a masterpiece of human ingenuity and the some of the greatest minds on this planet.
It was also hugely expensive and unsustainable as an architecture, which is why we never returned. The Shuttle program was a big let down after that. Compromises and politicians dominating engineering decisions.
It is a prime example of what happens when the suits interfere to much with engineering.
It was why von Braun threw the hat on it and rightfully so. The US Space program has been only a shadow of its former glory ever since.

robertoortiz
07-02-2011, 12:04 PM
This one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKKJ_DhMO58

Why Do I feel I needed to do something?

But Seriously the moon landing was one of the most amazing things amazing has ever done.

warmiak
07-02-2011, 01:12 PM
The world we live in today is so much a result of the moon program, it argues strongly for another such national program. It doesn't have to be a space thing. Fred Clark, Slacktivist, (http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2010/11/fix-the-deficit-cure-diabetes.html) has suggested a national program to cure diabetes. It's a brilliant article, and a fix for our national piggy bank, too.

Why just for diabetes ? If it works so well, why not for everything ?

There are some great examples from history ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-Year_Plans_for_the_National_Economy_of_the_Soviet_ Union

prometheus
07-03-2011, 05:33 PM
wouldnīt it be great if the moonlanding could have impact the world in terms of getting rid of wars and powerty, religious wars or country boundaries fights.

Strangely..the moonlanding, It doesnīt seem to have helped that much thou to work Itīs magic on those areas....our technology and everyday comfort might have been enhanced quite a bit, but we are really a few percent in the world benifiting from this I suspect.

I was so excited when those plans on a new moonbase came about, wich also could serve as a project for further travels to mars, But hey..maybe the world isnīt ready for that yet, It would be such a costly project and such a huge effort that probably no country could do this by themself.

So what do you guys think, should us earthlings wait for a couple of decades before attempting such a goal as a mars travel, or should we start as soon as possible.

I believe that if the space community could work as a team together with a huge set of countries involved, that might have an impact on how we work and live together as nations and helping bonding relationships..
I hope:)

Michael

Titus
07-03-2011, 05:38 PM
So what do you guys think, should us earthlings wait for a couple of decades before attempting such a goal as a mars travel, or should we start as soon as possible.

Michael

I think in a couple of decades we'll start having problems travelling locally, forget extraplanetary.

Iain
07-03-2011, 11:30 PM
should us earthlings wait for a couple of decades before attempting such a goal as a mars travel, or should we start as soon as possible.

To return to my previous post, wouldn't it be totally ridiculous to develop sophisticated (i.e. expensive) technology and travel to Mars for no discernible reason other than to derive a great new mobile phone or games console generation(-yeah!) when people are starving to death or watching their own children die?
Or when we are constantly at war with some other section of our own race?

Global priorities shouldn't let us even contemplate it.

-EsHrA-
07-04-2011, 03:11 AM
moon landing was ofcourse a big pissing contest..

Nangleator
07-04-2011, 04:03 AM
...ridiculous to develop sophisticated (i.e. expensive) technology and travel to Mars for no discernible reason... when people are starving to death or watching their own children die?
Or when we are constantly at war with some other section of our own race?
If we put off working towards any category of discoveries until we no longer act like humans...

I, too, would worry about such possibly fruitless projects, if their price tag even began to approach what we spend on ball games, or redundant weapon systems we intend never to use, or the industry of moving money around in ways that can wreck our economy (for the benefit of a very few.)

lardbros
07-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Interesting thread, and incredible it hasn't spiralled out of control yet! :)

Moon-landing for sure though, just wish I was alive to watch it happen!

I find nature incredible to watch though... the truly humbling yet horrific Tsunami videos, or any natural disaster for that matter... very tragic, but they bring a bit of perspective into the short lives we lead on this little blue globe!

hrgiger
07-05-2011, 05:02 AM
Milla Jovovich's first appearence in a movie was a historical event(I believe it was two moon junction). It changed me. Fortunately not for more then 4 hours or I would have had to consult my doctor.

prometheus
07-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Milla Jovovich's first appearence in a movie was a historical event(I believe it was two moon junction). It changed me. Fortunately not for more then 4 hours or I would have had to consult my doctor.

Lol...havent seen that one, thanks for the heads up, I actually watched Milla on Jeanne D.arc yesterday....sheīs indeed very fotogenic.

Seems thou that many people here seem to mention what I also considered the nr one..the moonlanding.

Wtc, hiroshima, holocaust are horrifying and I guess we by nature tend to value what we as a human race can acheive in Itīs prime time.

The assasin of J.F Kennedy is also one of those historical documents that are burnt in to my mind.

Michael

wrench
07-05-2011, 05:06 PM
We are nearing a time when manufactured processing power starts to outstrip organic processing power kilo for kilo. I want to know we are doing more with it than playing Angry Birds or Fruit Slice and a project to lift man off the planet seems like a good use. There will always be wars and people starving to death because of man's cupidity.

B

sandman300
07-05-2011, 07:09 PM
In terms of importance, I would think that some of the really early stuff produced by the Edison company and others of that time that laid the groundwork for the film and (eventually) video industry.

erikals
07-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Footage of the holocaust. To remind us that all humans can be arseholes. And to remind us not to be arseholes.

sad, but true... <:/

erikals
07-09-2011, 07:15 AM
The Worlds most valuable Event however,...

...the internet. (especially youtube ꞉P)

...after that... A.I.
...until it destroys us all in 2012 ꞉[

 

shrox
07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Some undeveloped home movie hidden in an attic probably contains the most astounding images ever recorded.

OnlineRender
07-09-2011, 12:05 PM
edit got my wires mixed up ,excuse the pun , I believe its 1903 Electrocuting an Elephant .............................Thomas Edison,tis on Youtube .

Liber777
07-10-2011, 01:54 PM
The Hindenburg disaster footage is iconic.

Dexter2999
07-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Seems thou that many people here seem to mention what I also considered the nr one..the moonlanding.

You mean the one where NASA erased some of the footage? Because "tapes are expensive and we need to re-use them."

Really? So much for "rocket science."

Nangleator
07-10-2011, 06:05 PM
You mean the one where NASA erased some of the footage? Because "tapes are expensive and we need to re-use them."

Really? So much for "rocket science."
Had to be a money guy and not a science guy. Breathtaking lack of vision, there.

jasonwestmas
07-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Not sure what is the most powerful historic video, history just sends a powerful message in general. But I do have some Tarawa war footage on film from my great grandfather.

Nangleator
07-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Great grandfather? I feel old. I lost an uncle there.