PDA

View Full Version : Commodore details preliminary Amiga reboot specs.

Ernest
06-29-2011, 04:54 PM
The 3000 also offers support for four low profile expansion cards, a full ATX power supply, Micro ATX motherboards, four hard drives and full size DVD/BlueRay/CDROM.

It doesn't look like it's going to be revolutionizing multimedia any time soon but it's alive.

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-features/56938-commodore-details-preliminary-amiga-reboot-specs

Sande
06-30-2011, 10:06 PM
It doesn't look like it's going to be revolutionizing multimedia any time soon but it's alive.

Only in our memories.

jwiede
07-01-2011, 01:35 AM

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-features/56938-commodore-details-preliminary-amiga-reboot-specs

Okay, who forgot to wrap the ashes in _three_ layers of lead foil before burying in concrete...?

I'll fire up the orbital railgun, someone needs to bring salt to sow the earth, and don't forget the chicken bones...*sigh* and it had been such a peaceful, relatively Amiga-free millennium.

SBowie
07-01-2011, 06:33 AM
The Amiga lives on richly in the minds and hearts of almost everyone who ever owned one - but it's nigh onto impossible to imagine a commercially successful resurrection.

stone
07-01-2011, 06:46 AM
this is not in any any way related to anything amiga related. its not commodore and its not an amiga - its quite worrying they are reusing the same old names too. its even more worrying that ernest/general public believes and makes statements like that

OnlineRender
07-01-2011, 07:14 AM
give me a ZX Spectrum with i7 inside any day of the week

jeric_synergy
07-01-2011, 09:24 AM
No machine has ever displayed the SMOOTHNESS of the Amiga to me ::sigh::.

++++++
That's a weird site: parody? Anyway, if I'm going to buy a new C-64, it'll be like this:

http://benheck.com/04-05-2009/commodore-64-original-hardware-laptop

SBowie
07-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Of the three I owned, I'd have to say my favorite was the little A1200, even though it wasn't the most powerful.

COBRASoft
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
My 1200 was [very] powerfull, I've put it in a tower and added a 1260, Fast-SCSI and lot's of RAM with some overclocking. Together with a PIV, Paloma and Pablo it was a great machine to use with PageStream, Scala and other great programs.

These new machines are no Amiga's, they should be allowed to be called that way. My Amiga was well, my 'Amiga' :), no other computer can ever replace that!

jwiede
07-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Of the three I owned, I'd have to say my favorite was the little A1200, even though it wasn't the most powerful.
Inside C=, a lot of us thought the A1200 was the best of that generation. I still think the A3000 was the "best Amiga" overall (esp. for devs), but IMO the A1200 was a much nicer internal design than the A4000. Then again, I'm biased, I had a flaky A4000 proto at C= that gave me no end of grief, and kind of spoiled my perception of the A4000.

And I agree 100%, I see zero chance of these going anywhere. There's no reason to believe that the needed mainstream software companies are any more interested in developing for AROS than they were for BEOS (and BEOS had a LOT more support already in place).

I will always look back fondly at the "prime" Amiga years, it was a lot of fun for a while. However, the way it ended was disgraceful enough already, there's just no need to dig up the corpse and violate it further.

kosmodave
07-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Ah Ha! Amiga 1200, Happy Days :). I have very fond memories of the Amiga as well but I think they are best left as that - Fond Memories.

Life moves on and I think computers as they are today are quite special and probably unappreciated by a lot of people. If someone had said to me back in 1990 when I was using Scala to title videos on a UMatic edit suite that some day I will be able to produce a full feature film at 2k resolution on my desktop I would have just laughed, but now that ability is the norm for a lot of people - with 4k being the next big stride in advancement. And really the cost of working with this kind of data is very low compared to then ( Approx 2500 for a PC with software and 800 for a Blackmagic HD extreme card compared to about 10 000 back in 1980 for two Umatic PAL tape decks plus controller at 1500 and a couple of synchronisers at 4000 a pop etc. )

So I think as nice as the Amiga was for it's day I would rather be here with my Quad Core PC and all the trimmings :jam:.

Dave

Exception
07-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Those look like nothing more than PC Cases to me... they don't have anything more than a PSU in them. I'm sure these cases are AROS compatible... I'm sure they're also compatible with my living room and anything else a computer case could be compatible with?

Someone by these guys some beer and tell them they're playing with the wrong names for their silly marketing games.

jwiede
07-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Someone by these guys some beer and tell them they're playing with the wrong names for their silly marketing games.
Why bother? The curse will do them in quickly enough.

Titus
07-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Why bother? The curse will do them in quickly enough.

Is Tramiel involved?

beverins
07-04-2011, 12:19 PM
These look awful. For the Amiga to be rebooted in this day and age would require bravery, some google-sized budgets and a measure of insanity. The machine would have to essentially also introduce a new OS, be very very fast and be inexpensive.

Anyway, my 1200 '040 32mb ram runs fine. LOL

Rayek
07-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Still have my Amiga 1000 sitting snugly in a box under my desk here. I still run an emulated amiga that is blazingly fast in Amiga Forever. Running Workbench at 1920*1200 at 24bit on an i7 is just plain cool.