PDA

View Full Version : Something similar to 'Inertia' or 'Lazy Points'.

4dartist
06-29-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm looking for something similar to Inertia Lag or Lazy Points deformers.

I have this idea I want to try but both of those modifiers seem to be based on distance from the pivot to drive the lag. I'd like it to be purely based on a weightmap. I have a bunch of points stacked on top of each other but each point has a higher and higher weight value in the weight map.

My goal is to animate the object and have the points with a greater weight value to lag behind. I have a feeling cloth will do this, but I'd prefer to avoid hitting 'calculate'.

Any ideas?

Celshader
06-29-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm looking for something similar to Inertia Lag or Lazy Points deformers.

I have this idea I want to try but both of those modifiers seem to be based on distance from the pivot to drive the lag. I'd like it to be purely based on a weightmap. I have a bunch of points stacked on top of each other but each point has a higher and higher weight value in the weight map.

My goal is to animate the object and have the points with a greater weight value to lag behind. I have a feeling cloth will do this, but I'd prefer to avoid hitting 'calculate'.

Any ideas?

SoftFX is Lazy Points with weight map control and overshoot. It requires calculation, and it requires baking out an MDD at the end in order to keep the animation. However, you can calculate once, then edit the numbers afterwards, and (unlike ClothFX) SoftFX should reflect the updated numbers without having to recalculate.

The tab you want is the "Operator" tab. It has waveforms that describe the "wobble" behavior that takes place when SoftFX deforms the object.

4dartist
06-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Cool, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

I don't really need any overshoot or dynamics though. I really just want the points to be late following the same motion path. I didn't consider softFX though, so I'll try that out.