PDA

View Full Version : out of memory while rendering

cbreton49
06-29-2011, 03:08 PM
(out of memory while rendering) I keep getting this and I don't understand why. I have MAC OS X 10.5.8 2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 16 GB 800 MHz
using LW 9.6 - I'm not understanding what memory I am out of. In the SML it sais 32 and I am rendering a scene with two images one 4.1 MB and one 5 MB - but seems like I have tons of memory so where am I going wrong? What does it want me to do?
Anyone Please? Thanks in advance....
Carol

stiff paper
06-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Are you rendering to an animation file (i.e. quicktime) instead of rendering out individual sequential images (i.e. targas, tiffs)? If so, it's trying to keeping everything in memory until it can write out the animation.

Edit: At least... that's most often the cause.

zapper1998
06-29-2011, 04:02 PM
i had those issues with 3s bit lw, used 64 bit lw and did not have problem..

4dartist
06-29-2011, 04:18 PM
cbreton49

32bit applications are limited to using around 3GB of RAM. This is true for Lightwave. You are running out of ram because all the things in your scene (including the Segment Memory Limit) are surpassing that limit. Actually I'm not sure it's 3GB but it's around there.

To get past this you need to improve memory management on your part. An example would be to make sure your bump maps are 8bit gray images instead of 32bit color. You'd be surprised on how much ram this saves.

Another way to get past this is to start using 64bit lightwave. That ceiling on RAM use is gone. It's a blessing trust me. To get 64bit Lightwave, you either need to purchase lightwave 10 or join the beta for 9.6 and grab the 9.6.1 beta which is 64bit.

I think you join the beta by going to register.newtek.com, but I can't remember exactly how. Also you could just call customer service I guess.

Good luck!

Filmdesigner
06-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Make sure you have NO JPEGS anywhere in your scene as these bastards have a tendency to explode once in LW. I use PNGs generally.

Andrew March
07-01-2011, 11:59 AM
what are you scene details, number of polys being rendered and open up your image editor and how many images are being used in your scene and what memory is it taking up.

lightmann
07-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Make sure you have NO JPEGS anywhere in your scene as these bastards have a tendency to explode once in LW. I use PNGs generally.
I seriously second that.
Try tga or tiff with the proper color depth on 64bit version you can fly over this problems.