PDA

View Full Version : bvh files with IK Boost or Motion Mixer

MaureenD
06-29-2011, 10:33 AM
I am running LW10 on a Mac (also have 9.6) and have been reading many of the posts from years ago when SplineGod described using the IK Boost tool to save and load motions from bvh files.

Unfortunately, all of the links that he references are broken. I know Larry has been sick, so not faulting him of course.

So my questions:

1. I have a character that I fitted to the frame 0 of one of the CMU motion files, and got one of the animations to work. I want to use the same rig from frame 0, and copy / paste the motion from another similar bvh file in the same series but it's not working. I'm not sure how Larry went about deleting the mocap data and reloading it with the ik boost tool. I tried loading a bvh and applying ik boost to the hip null. Then from the ik boost menu, select save motion. Then I load my character with the rig, apply ik boost and from the menu choose load - and then pick the file. I get all the keyframes as it should, rest all the bones, but the character does not perform the motion. It moves along the path but doesn't do the motions. Also I get an error about not being able to load all the motions when I import the file - even though it's the same skeleton. What am I doing wrong?

2. Does anyone know where I can get Larry's DVD or tutorial that explains all this? I did find one place that has a bundle for over $100 but I don't want all that, just this one topic. Or are there any online tutorials?

3. Finally, I tried using Motion Mixer following some YouTube tutorials on that, but the second I try to import a motion file, Lightwave crashes - both 9.6 and 10. Is there a workaround? What type of motion files can Motion Mixer load? I tried both bvh and txt (the motions that had been saved out from the ikboost tool). The program did not give me an error about being the wrong file type, it just crashes.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

RebelHill
06-29-2011, 01:58 PM
No clue...

However both IKB an MM leave a lot to be desired when doing this sort of stuff (though IKB can be good for modifying motions that are already existing on characters). But a lot of IKB stuff has been broken in more recent versions of LW... so who knows if it still works right for what you want.

You should give Animeeple a look (its free)... as this'll let you copy, edit, and retarget motions from allsorts of different mocap formats... which you can then export out as collada (either loading the collada using 10.1, or shoving it through ADs free FBX converter for use with 10.0).

You can also find a guide to FBX stuff with LW on my site's shares section... there's details on both 9.6 and 10, as well as a section about how to get things in and out of animeeple (also watch the motionbuilder stuff, even if you don't use it the broad process is the same).

MaureenD
06-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks a bunch! Funny you should mention Animeeple - I am just now looking at that for the first time. I'll check out your videos too.

Appreciate the reply.

LW_Will
06-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Its reletively simple to use IK Booster, if I can umderstand it it must be simple.

You have your character with the motion BVH file installed. You then set, in the small menu in the lower left of the screen, it to "all items". Then in the extended time line you select all keyframes and then you delete.

This will give you a blank character with the proper BVH bone rig.

Then you can import BVH files using a targeting method.

Or you could load the BVH into LW, save as a LWS, and then open from scene and use "import motion files only" to attach to the character.

Or open BVH file, import into LW, apply IKB to both files and save and swap the motion.

You know, I've got to learn IKBooster...

dwburman
07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
As far as I know, Larry's IKBoost videos are not available for purchase anywhere right now (unless you can find someone selling a used copy). I don't know if Larry even has the videos anymore.

If the bundle you are referring to was at Liberty3d.com, you can buy all of the videos in the bundle individually. (30% OFF until July 9th) Unfortunately, the IKBoost videos aren't available there either.

2. Does anyone know where I can get Larry's DVD or tutorial that explains all this? I did find one place that has a bundle for over $100 but I don't want all that, just this one topic. Or are there any online tutorials?

dwburman
07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Someone is trying to sell one of Larry's IKB vids here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120137