PDA

View Full Version : Envelopable Weight maps

hrgiger
10-08-2003, 06:33 AM
You know how when you weight a character, the joints look good in one position but sometimes bad in another?

Would it be possible to have weight map values that could change during an animation based on bone position?
I could see doing it one of two ways:

The first preference would be to do it in Layout. Rotate a bone, select badly deforming joint points (since we can select points in LW 8), and adjust the weight map for a better deformation, and tie it to a jointmorph.

That or we could rotate alll the joints in Layout to their extremes, save the transformed object, take it into modeler and adjust the weigths there and tie those to a joint morph. You'd just have to note the rotation values you rotated the bones to in Layout first.

It also might be useful in some cases to animate the edge (ok, not edge) point sharpening or even to change the appearence of an object if you used a weight map as an input parameter on a texture map....

Mylenium
10-08-2003, 09:47 AM
I don't think that this is doable (from a technical point of view). As far as I understand you may blend as many weight maps/ values as you like, but you cannot change them on the fly. I think it has something to do with modifying the vertex array that holds all this data. So to put it into clearer words: Something like that seems doable but would be more like automatically blending between different weightmaps. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mylenium

hrgiger
10-08-2003, 10:01 AM
No, I think that blending weight maps is different then what I mean. Blending weight maps is still one set of values when it comes to moving points in layout. I would like to be able to change the weight value during an animation to change the shape of an object depending on it's movement (i.e. rotating bones)