PDA

View Full Version : simple question on people using two monitors

lreyes
06-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I have seen some desktops that some guys are using have two monitors, please tell me what is the advantage of using two monitors? I have one computer and one monitor, my computer has has 12 gigs or RAM and using windows7 professional, using lightwave 9.6. and Zbrush 4.0

nickdigital
06-27-2011, 08:44 PM
More screen space.

Just off the top of my head:

You could put all your floating windows on one monitor and maximize Layout on the other.

If your modeling you could load up all your reference images on one monitor and keep Modeler open on the other.

You can keep Netflix on one monitor and keep working on the other.

toddd240
06-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Once you have been operating in a dual monitor environment it is painful to work without it.

I work quicker because of the extra desktop space. Less clicking back and forth.

UnCommonGrafx
06-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I got a widescreen to replace my two 19" monitors. Mistake.
I LIKE the separate estate of two monitors.
Layout on one, modeler on the other with all panels on the opposite monitor. Really nice management of all the panels one can open with LW. And dock snapping. B&M* I'll not do now, I suppose...

paulhart
06-27-2011, 08:57 PM
What NickDigital said... The closest I can get to a "unified app" at this point is to have Modeler, with menus and panels open on one screen and Layout, with panels open on the other screen. I have been using two monitor for a VERY long time and can't imagine any other way, even for other programs. I have two 1920x1080 ASUS monitors now, for the what I paid for one monitor three(3) years ago, great technology.

Titus
06-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Dual screen is bad for attention span, but helps when you are reading some tutorial, watching references, etc. My friend has one of the monitors in vertical position.

I like to edit video in two monitors at the same time. That's basically the only time I use all the real state with onw program.

a sandwhich
06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
I can think of a dozen situations where having two monitors has been handy. Usually I have the main focus program running on one and then three or four reduced windows running in the other, unless I am getting serious about work. After effects on one, premiere on the other. Layout on one, modeler on the other. gvim on one, webpage with api on the other. Or a relaxing favorite, cs:s on one, itunes on the other. It is about multitasking and seeing what you are multitasking.

probiner
06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't have it, but for one thing for sure is handy. Graph Editor!

Traveler
06-28-2011, 02:43 AM
Having to switch programs using alt-tab or by using the taskbar kills your workflow. Being able to watch a video tutorial on one screen and duplicating the actions on the other is a major advantage.

Wilfrick
06-28-2011, 03:14 AM
After work a little time on 2 monitor you never will wan to to return to single.
A lot of situation where need 2, but about lw I use first monitor (first I have in front of me) for layout and modeler (swithc with tab), and second for panels. (I don 't use one for layout and one for modeler because when working I need to have the head "inline", I can't work with head turned).

I think now I need 3 monitor... I feel the work will be more good (the wall in front of me I want!)

lreyes
06-28-2011, 05:37 AM
NOw that I found out why two monitors, my next question is....how do you hook two monitors to a single computer and single keyboard...do you have to do something special to the computer to operate two monitors?

zardoz
06-28-2011, 05:43 AM
I use two monitors and I like it more than one widescreen because of the window snapping in windows 7. I can move windows from one screen to the other and snap them at the top.
You just need a graphics card with two connections. And windows will use the two monitors space as one space only, but windows can still see that instead of one monitor you have two, this way you can move windows between the two.

OnlineRender
06-28-2011, 06:02 AM
I cant use a single monitor these days ,even on 21" , I need my two monitors ,all the work Gets done on the left ie have blender open and on the right would be PhotoShop or equvilant app

OnlineRender
06-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Either 2 grahpic cards or like me if you have 2 OUTPUTS on the 1card

lreyes
06-28-2011, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the info on why two monitors. My graphics card does support dual monitors, but my question is that I have one vga and one dvi connection at the rear of my computer. I am using my dvi now, but if I get a monitor will it have a vga cable or do I have to convert a dvi to vga and also will the vga monitors look as sharp as my dvi monitor? or do I have to have a graphics card with two dvi connections?

UnCommonGrafx
06-28-2011, 06:34 AM
The dvi goes through a vga cable so not so sure better is 'real' here.

But yeah, that's how most of us are set up. Unless the vidcard has two hdmi outs, for example, most cards will have what you have or a bunch of combos of such connectors.

A new monitor would plug right into your setup without much thought. Don't over-complicated as it's just plugging in plugs.

wrench
06-28-2011, 06:36 AM
I'm using DisplayFusionPro to give me a task bar on two screens and to extend my screensaver. Anyone have any better tools to optimise two screen use?

B

lreyes
06-28-2011, 06:54 AM
I guess most monitors come with a dvi cable attached, so I would have to convert it to a vga. Thanks for the help, I called dell and they said my card can support two monitors.

kopperdrake
06-28-2011, 06:55 AM
I find two monitors invaluable. In Modeler I have one larger monitor for Modeler itself, and a smaller monitor to the right for all the panels (surfaces, images, numeric, stats etc). In Layout the large monitor is mostly taken up by the main interface, but also houses the properties panel (camera/object etc) and Maestro's interface. The smaller monitor has the surface and image editors in the same place as I have them in Modeler, so it's easier to find what I need. Graph editor also lives there.

I also use the second monitor a lot for displaying project reference information - images, photographs, tutorials, briefs and scamps. To go back to one monitor would seriously hit my workflow.

toddd240
06-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Regardless of the Screens you purchase you can buy an inexpensive plug convertor if they don't match your video output. Configs within your video card driver software will allow you to stretch your desktop and your keyboard and mouse will work with both. Basically it will almost be like one big desktop spread across two monitors.

creacon
06-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Not trying to replace Steve here, but is it really necessary to start 2 threads on a topic that doesn't have anything to do with LW? Nothing personal but the amount of threads in this forum is driving me nuts.

creacon

SBowie
06-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Not trying to replace Steve here, but is it really necessary to start 2 threads ...creaconAgreed, and fixed (Steve can take a hint).

NanoGator
06-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I often use my second monitor (and my laptop...) to have reference up.

Hieron
06-28-2011, 09:28 AM
haha.. nice. The speed this thread has grown is similar to the development news update some days ago and that says a thing or two.

Get a second screen, it is invaluable. Get a cheapo if need be, even then it will be one of the best investments you can make. But beware, you will get annoyed whenever you need to work on a single screen machine. :) I used to run special software to get an extended taskbar but these days in Win7 I don't mind as much anymore. (better use of tabs, ordering etc)

I'm always a tad amazed if I see studio shots of people working with 1 screen..

OnlineRender
06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
you know what the most amazing thing is when you first get dual screen .

Hit prtScn and then "new" in photoshop :) always makes me smile

Rayek
06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Like everyone else here, once you get used to two screens there is no going back. At this point I am actually thinking about getting a third screen (my single ati 5870 supports up to three) - a friend of mine uses three, and lately I have been running out of screen estate with consistently running four apps simultaneously.

Anyways, if you do work with multiple screens, do yourself a favour and get some sort of screen management software. I use UltraMon, and without that I would go insane. It allows you to quickly move apps to another screen, maximize windows across two or more screens, tile windows, control how the taskbar works (separate taskbar for each screen is possible), save your icon positions, and set shortcut keys for all that functionality. A life saver.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/