PDA

View Full Version : How to Net-Render with Lightwave 10?

jesblood
06-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi,

I have 4 computers I'd like to network together in order to create my own little renderfarm. Does anyone know how to do this with LW10? Or does anyone know where I can go to learn about it? Or better yet does anyone know which software is the best for this? Pay for or free, I don't care.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

skywalker113
06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Lightwave comes with a program called Screamernet. Its a network rendering program. Currently im trying to set this up myself with 5 computers. A word of warning, its fairly tricky to set up. I have not got it running properly yet even after hiring someone to help.

jesblood
06-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Lightwave comes with a program called Screamernet. Its a network rendering program. Currently im trying to set this up myself with 5 computers. A word of warning, its fairly tricky to set up. I have not got it running properly yet even after hiring someone to help.

Oh great. Well thanks for the info. I haven't installed my copy of LW10 yet. I need to though. Does Screamernet come with documentation?

souzou
06-27-2011, 01:13 PM
I've had great results with ButterflyNetRender:
http://www.liquiddreamsolutions.com/
http://www.butterflynetrender.com/wiki/

I have LW10 on three workstations and a laptop, and render to a NAS. It has wizards to help you setup initially and once you have all the paths configured properly it can be very quick to fire off renders.

jesblood
06-27-2011, 01:52 PM
I've had great results with ButterflyNetRender:
http://www.liquiddreamsolutions.com/
http://www.butterflynetrender.com/wiki/

I have LW10 on three workstations and a laptop, and render to a NAS. It has wizards to help you setup initially and once you have all the paths configured properly it can be very quick to fire off renders.

Thanks bro! I look into that. However I have one question. What's an NAS? I'm a noob at networking so please be gentle. Thanks.

Sensei
06-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Network Area Storage- dedicated disk or path available to all network machines.

jesblood
06-27-2011, 02:10 PM

Oh. Okay cool. Thanks.

skywalker113
06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
It looks like there website is down. Does it cost anything?

jesblood
06-27-2011, 02:41 PM

Good question. I've been reading their lit and I get the feeling it does depending on which version you want to load. By the way bro - here's a link to a simpler set up using screamernet. I found it in the stickys.

http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/13419.html?

souzou
06-27-2011, 03:49 PM

Looks like it's back up now. Cheapest version is $55 for 5 nodes.

souzou
06-27-2011, 03:54 PM

Yeah, for me I have a small box by QNAP that plugs in to the network and has two (mirrored) hard drives in it. On that I have a BNR folder that is shared by all the machines.

Equally I think you could just share a folder on one of your machines for all the others to access.

jesblood
06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey eveyone! I found this great youtube video series explaining how to setup a render farm with ScreamerNet. It also goes into the external devices you need to purchase and add in order to properly setup your network. I found this to be very helpful. Just thought I'd share. Later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDCHhdwX3Eo&feature=related

monovich
06-27-2011, 04:51 PM
get BNR. If you use the stock solution it works, but only if everything is perfect. The minute you want to pause a scene, reorganize the queue, prioritize, or do anything beyond JUST render in a fixed order, you're screwed.

07-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I'd go for butterfly if you can - the ability to swap stuff around in a queue or to split big print images into stripes is very useful. We have a variety of machines running nodes, some old rack units running 1 or 2 nodes each depending on scene (memory) size, some bigger ones running 2 or 4, and every workstation in the office added in overnight & weekend. Butterfly just picks them up as the node software is launched on each.
Probably best off running the controller on an old idiot machine that's not up to using in the farm - most of the problems we had when we started doing net rendering were to do with tying to run a render controller & a render node on the same machine.

Chrusion
07-26-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm trying to set up BNR 4.55 Trial on two Win 7 x64 boxes... one obviously the Controller and the other a Client. Network is CAT5 thru a Linksys wireless router (no firewall or any sort of port forwarding since these are hard wire connections).

I've shared the Controller's Drive D with Everyone, full control. No problem with the Client box seeing, accessing, writing to any folder, etc. Using D:\BNR as the working folder where BNR copied everything during Auto Wizard Setup.

Client box has its single Drive C shared with everyone as well for ease of access since I use VNC to operate the box (it has no monitor, keybrd, mouse, etc. just a barebones setup with no other software installed).

Yes, allowed both win firewalls to allow full BNR access (any UDP/TCP port they want to use). Client configured to Controller IP of 192.168.77.108.

Client refuses to connect (red X on BNR icon in sys tray).

Client installed on Controller box as well... same thing... no connection. I disable win firewall on both boxes... no connection after doing Client restarts and Controller refresh.

Followed the very simple steps in the FAQ, Online user's guide, and video tutorials to ensure Controller scene paths and content dir, etc. are all correctly set (adding a scene works just fine). Nothing is amiss... just no Client connection(s), local or remote. Closed both apps, rebooted, and restarted... both clients still fail to connect.

What could be the problem then? That or maybe BNR is not what I'm supposed to use?

07-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Can you 'ping' either machine from the other ? - sounds as ifthere's a basic lack of communication going on in there!

geo_n
07-27-2011, 12:17 AM
BNR is great. Not as fast as others but best price.
One problem I had with it is even if your network is working, bnr nodes doesn:t autosearch well. Its either you input the IP address or host controller name. If one doesn:t work try the other. Having multiple network connections could be a problem which I had when I had a local lan connection and a usb portable internet connection like this
http://emobile.jp/products/hw/d41hw/
which created multiple IP address for my work pc and it confused bnr and nodes would not connect no matter what. Fast tech support from the developer though and fixed the same day.

The way I work with bnr is setup a network shared directory for all pc including the work pc.
Example mine is R:Shared
So all Lightwave install, configs, plugs, bnr folders point to R:
Every project folder contains, lightwave scene, object, textures pointing to R:
Example
R:\Project\Honda\LW\Scene
R:\Project\Honda\LW\Object
R:\Project\Honda\LW\Image

Bnr has never failed me since.

Greenlaw
07-27-2011, 01:56 AM
BNR is pretty awesome and I highly recommend it. It's what we use at work for Lightwave, Houdini, and Vue. At one time we also had Fusion running on it but we went back to using Fusion's native controller for some reason--sorry, I don't remember why. BNR also supports Maya, Messiah, Modo, and many other renderers.

I use BNR at home too because it's very easy to set up and operate, and it's expandable: if you get more computers to render with, just buy an Add On Pack (adds 5 more nodes.) Lately I've been using BNR with the LW 10.1 beta and it seems to work perfectly.

If you have problems with BNR, as geo_n mentioned, the developer Paul Lord is very helpful and responds promptly.

In the past (many years ago,) I used LightNet which is a free controller. It worked really well at the time but I'm not sure if it still works for LW 10. I do know that it was reborn recently as LightNet Cloud, and I would think that this version works with LW 10. Anyway, if you're interested, here's the website for it:

http://www.joejustice.org/

G.