PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 vs Lightwave 10

akaitora
06-26-2011, 10:40 PM
So I currently own Lightwave 8. I am trying to determine whether I should upgrade to Lightwave 10. What new features would I get if I upgraded? Thanks in advance!

Hominid 3D
06-27-2011, 01:16 AM
So I currently own Lightwave 8. I am trying to determine whether I should upgrade to Lightwave 10. What new features would I get if I upgraded? Thanks in advance!

YouŽd get access to the Core beta...oh wait, no.

JK.:devil:

L 10 is great, Fprime like functionality in the viewports, great nodal surfacing (canŽt remember if L8 already had nodes), good stable IK and some more stuff.

wrench
06-27-2011, 01:49 AM
LightWave didn't have nodes, they were introduced with LightWave 9. You'll get increased stability, 64-bit versions for Windows and OS X, VPR (the FPrime-like functionality in-viewport that Hominid mentions), Linear Colour workflow, much better import and export options, much better animation options, much better radiosity, faster rendering overall and I'll repeat stability since that's the best thing, even with all the new goodies.

B

ncr100
06-27-2011, 02:16 AM
A special-offer, too: the Rigging DVD. Offer currently lasts through July 31.

See: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw10.php "special offer"

Also: Sprite-Gen (http://tv.newtek.com/player_siggraph5.php) simplifying rendering 360 degree thumbnails, and Space Navigator 3d-mouse support.

Greenlaw
06-27-2011, 02:36 AM
For me, the most important feature in 10.x is that it plays well with other applications; the latest incarnation of Valkyrie is significantly improved and the upcoming 10.1 version will be even better. BTW, if you upgrade to the full version of 10, you also get access to the 10.1 beta. Can't talk specifically about the beta in public but there are many exciting things happening with it. Will shut up now. :)

G.

JeffrySG
06-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Also, the whole 9.x series had great new features as well. Node based texturing and nodes for other elements was a huge addition in 9.x. 9 also added many edge based modeling functions.

For me VPR and linear workflow were great in v10. :)

rcallicotte
06-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Very stable.

dwburman
06-27-2011, 10:03 AM
If you use LW for rendering at all, then it's worth upgrading.

Nicolas Jordan
06-27-2011, 10:16 AM
The rendering was redone during the 9.x series so if your interested in fast GI then it will be a huge upgrade just in that area alone.

Dreamcube017
06-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Since you're coming from 8, I'd say go for the upgrade. I have 9 and can't afford 10 upgrade at the moment but I played with the demo and MAN the VPR alone was amazing. (Ii'm pretty big in texturing and lighting much more so than modeling) but it does have some other nice features Also LW10 plays nicer with FBX files and things as well.

Question is... I'm on LW9... should I upgrade to 10???

Celshader
06-27-2011, 12:25 PM

For a 7.x user, I listed some of the newer features in this thread:
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120006

Here's some of what you get when you go from 8.x->10.x:

A better-designed Render Preview window.
Volume Stack -- no more need to build "air polys" for water/glass surfaces
Perspective camera -- more efficient multithreaded renders + an Adaptive Sampling that works by re-rendering only the high-contrast pixel areas.
Dome Light -- a Distant light with a fuzzy edge. The bigger the angle, the fuzzier the edge. Set the Angle to 0.25 degrees and use the Dome Light for perfect outdoor sunlight.
Carpaint material node -- makes car surfacing a snap.
Node Editor -- makes previously impossible deformations/surfacing/volumetrics possible.
Material nodes -- get photoreal glass/water/metals with one node.
Thumnail Review option in the General Options panel -- puts a "film strip" across the top of the render preview window that shows the last few frames and their render times.
Surface Baker camera -- better than the Surface Baker shader.
Ability to control subdivision with a texture map.
Ability to use separate textures to drive Bump, Normal and normal-based Bump Displacement properties (possible in the Surface Node Editor)
The ability to pipe Autodesk geocache deformations in before subdivision, and layer ZBrush displacements after subdivision.
Native Weight Map blur tool.
Joints, native IK/FK blending
VPR -- FPrime that works in any viewport.
Linear Colorspace options
Stereoscopic functions
Photoreal blur (perfect for wheels, helicoptor blades and propellers)
Shadow Offset - an object property to correct raytrace errors in the shadow terminators of double-sided surfaces.
"Merge Only motion envelopes" option for Load from Scene. If the scene setups are identical, this lets the user load in only the motions from a given scene file.

Snosrap
06-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Thats the problem when creating lists like Celshader has done - a lot of great things get left off the list! :D 8 to 10 = no brainer.

Cohen
06-27-2011, 02:29 PM
A few more notable points:

APS & per-poly displacement rendering (can be visualized in viewport as well)
Fiber FX, (pretty good hair/fur solution that recieved much love throughout LW 10)
large variety of kick butt skin shaders.
*.ies photometric lights
oh, a plethoras of dpont and other 3rd party plugins that are probably not backwards compatible with lightwave 8. (Instancing, dozens of custom soft shadowed light types, nodal compositing, nodal motion mechanics (dirver/driven stuff), nodal hypervoxels.. I could go on... ) :thumbsup:

There probably exists a 100 more note worthy bullet points.

Celshader
06-27-2011, 02:59 PM
There probably exists a 100 more note worthy bullet points.

Shoot. You're right. Here's some more for the list:

Relativity started shipping with LW as of 9.x
Starting with 9.0, LightWave handles large amounts of geometry much better than LightWave 8.5. This means no hanging when rendering MASSIVE amounts of RealFlow data (ex: RF-generated meshes that take up 500MB each on the server) or reloading a geometry-heavy scene a few times.
LightWave 10.0 introduced options for OBJ exports in the Options panel. Turn on "ZBrush Mode" for perfect OBJ exports to Maya 2011.
SDK improvements
Camera plug-in class and SDK, allowing for third-party cameras like CoolMuseum's Fisheye Lens (http://colm.jp/plug/fisheye.html)
Light plug-in class and SDK, allowing for third-party light plug-ins
Pole vector targeting for the bank channel of an item. I use this and old-fashioned Target on the heading/pitch for rigging the roots of limbs. The Heading/Pitch target the IK goal, the Bank pole-vector-targets the elbow goal, and the arm/forearm limbs parented to the root use IK only on their Pitch to touch the IK goal.
Same As Item controller for Heading/Pitch/Bank channels (Motion Options->Controllers and Limits tab) -- introduced in 9.x and improved in 10.x.
IK options for Position and Scale in addition to Rotation
Control over IK evaluation ("Base on First Keyframe", "Base on Most Recent Keyframe," "Base on Current Time," "Base on Frame...")
"Twist" option for joints means the bank of a hand joint can torsion up the forearm before fading out at the elbow. Before Twist, this torsion effect required multiple forearm bones, with each bone Banking a little to soften the twist of the wrist. Now the multiple forearm/shin bones can be replaced with a single Joint that has Twist applied.

I know I'm missing a few more bullet points, here...

Greenlaw
06-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Fiber FX, (pretty good hair/fur solution that recieved much love throughout LW 10)
Since there exists a press release about 10.1's features, I guess it's okay to talk vaguely about them out side the beta forums. Regarding FFX, as the release states, this feature is getting much needed love and attention for 10.1, and I'm really looking forward to using this feature on my current short film project. If all continues to go well by end of testing then this feature too may be worth the upgrade. (How's that for being vague and ambiguous?) :)

Cageman
06-27-2011, 03:15 PM
One think I havn't seen mentioned that got into LW during 9.x series is Realtime DOF and/or Motion Blur viewmode in OGL, which more or less takes out all guesswork and becomes a HUGE timesaver!

I think LW8.x had a shortcut to view DOF, but only on the frame you were currently at. As soon as you draged the timeslider, it was gone.

:)

Cohen
06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Shoot. You're right. Here's some more for the list: ...

I know I'm missing a few more bullet points, here...

Jeeze, I don't know if thats just really bad sarcasm or you must be having one bad monday? :confused:

I thought the new fiber fx module and the displacement rendering stuff were worth mentioning, since those are some major new features he/she would be getting.

The statement I made about hundreds of other things improved was to merely reflect the fact that there hundreds of small refinements through out the application that the OP would notice should they get the upgrade.

monovich
06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
8 vs. 10 is a total no brainer. Get 10! I can't imagine going back to 8.

Celshader
06-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Jeeze, I don't know if thats just really bad sarcasm or you must be having one bad monday? :confused:

No sarcasm, and I'm having a great Monday. However, I thought I should continue to add to the list, because I saw this:

Thats the problem when creating lists like Celshader has done - a lot of great things get left off the list! :D 8 to 10 = no brainer.

...and because of your post, which continued the bullet-point list.

I just want to help the OP get up to speed with what's in LW10.x, and I'd like a complete 8.x->10.x bullet-point thread to exist somewhere on the Web so I can point other LightWavers to it.

I apologize for offending you.

probiner
06-27-2011, 05:25 PM
I see Matt in the corner there gettin grumpy: "Bollocks! What about the UI?" :D

jasonwestmas
06-27-2011, 06:12 PM
No comparison really, it's like night and day. Go with 10 if you are serious at all about using Lightwave.

Cohen
06-27-2011, 06:34 PM
No sarcasm, and I'm having a great Monday. However, I thought I should continue to add to the list, because I saw this:

...and because of your post, which continued the bullet-point list.

I just want to help the OP get up to speed with what's in LW10.x, and I'd like a complete 8.x->10.x bullet-point thread to exist somewhere on the Web so I can point other LightWavers to it.

I apologize for offending you.

ok Jen, sorry for the confusion. You had quoted me and ended with "I know there are more..," and it just felt like there was some indirect "under-pinnings" with your meaning, and maybe I was the cause?

But its good knowing that its just my inter-webs being screwy with me and not some bad case of the mondays.. ;D

I should know better actually. I can't think of any time where you have expressed anger in these forums. :question:

I Sowwy :o

Matt
06-27-2011, 06:42 PM
No one said you get a sexier looking UI, I'm off to cry in a corner now!

:cry:

Matt
06-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I see Matt in the corner there gettin grumpy: "Bollocks! What about the UI?" :D

LOL! I posted without seeing your post! :D

Celshader
06-27-2011, 07:05 PM
ok Jen, sorry for the confusion. You had quoted me and ended with "I know there are more..," and it just felt like there was some indirect "under-pinnings" with your meaning, and maybe I was the cause?

But its good knowing that its just my inter-webs being screwy with me and not some bad case of the mondays.. ;D

I should know better actually. I can't think of any time where you have expressed anger in these forums. :question:

I Sowwy :o

Ah, gotcha. No prob. :)

:)

No one said you get a sexier looking UI, I'm off to cry in a corner now!

On a serious note, Matt, the 10.x color scheme is something a co-worker of mine wanted back in 2005. He preferred the neutral, darker grey of Digital Fusion when working with color and lighting, and he long wished that LightWave could get a similar color scheme going.

Plus, 10.x just looks nicer. Many, many kudos for the 10.x look.

jasonwestmas
06-27-2011, 07:11 PM
LOL! I posted without seeing your post! :D

Lightwave is getting prettier, less visual headaches that's for sure.

I can't say the selection of items in the viewport has improved much, still feels like voodoo when objects in the back get selected before the items in the front.

LW_Will
06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
And did we forget... three different colors for the ICONS in 10.1!

You have to pay attention to those things. ;-)

darn, wonder if that'll violate NDA? Forget I was here...

Snosrap
06-27-2011, 10:01 PM
A few I like that don't get much mention but are super handy!