PDA

View Full Version : choose to load LW9.6.1 as 32 or 64 bit

Rick Hall
06-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Hello,

Is there an easy way to choose 32 or 64 bit LW when loading? There are many more options in quicktime in 32 bit mode.

Thanks,
Rick

Scazzino
06-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Hello,

Is there an easy way to choose 32 or 64 bit LW when loading? There are many more options in quicktime in 32 bit mode.

Thanks,
Rick

Open the LightWave application's get-info window and set it to launch in 32 bit mode...

lertola2
06-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Make two copies of layout and modeler and set one to 32 bit and the other to 64 bit. That way there is no fielding with the get info window every time you want to change the mode.

-Joe

Rick Hall
06-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Oh, thank you! Life is good now!

Thanks again,
Rick

4dartist
09-14-2011, 01:36 PM
This registration system is so annoying..

I am trying to run 32bit mode as well. So I copy the Layout file, rename it to Layout32. Run it and I get a lock ID number and running in demo mode. SOoo.. I go to the registration site and turns out my Lock ID from 64bit mode is different then 32bit mode.. WHY!? 64bit MAC, 64bit Windows, 32bit Windows all generate the same Lock ID when I run lightwave. 32bit MAC is the only one using lock ID listed under Mac. It's not working. I go to register under hardcore (maybe that is it? And I put in my lock id under the mac 32bit section and it gives an error saying the lock id's differ..

OH how i love doing this all the time. It's never straight forward. How is this so hard.

EDIT: Well I called customer service, and apparently to run 32bit Mac you need the newer dongle, not the purple one. The new one generates the same LockID for 32 and 64 unlike my purple one. So they are sending me a new one. The guy was very helpful and everything is free and ships pretty fast so I have to give CS props for that.

LW_Will
09-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I think all the problems with the dongle are SafeNet's problem, not Newtek.

Also, on the PC side, the 64 and 32bit programs are different. That is a security thing.

Not a Newtek thing.

Phil
09-14-2011, 06:29 PM
EDIT: Well I called customer service, and apparently to run 32bit Mac you need the newer dongle, not the purple one. The new one generates the same LockID for 32 and 64 unlike my purple one. So they are sending me a new one. The guy was very helpful and everything is free and ships pretty fast so I have to give CS props for that.

CS are wrong, and not for the first time - it seems that CS are not paying attention to the details provided by customers. You can run either 32-bit or 64-bit with the purple Duo dongle. The Eve3 dongles are the ones that need to be replaced, but Duo dongles have been supplied since at least LW 7.0. The newer red/black dongles are fine.

The Duo dongles are, as the name suggests, two dongles in one (an Eve3 and a Sentinel). The nature of these dongles are that the driver reports two different IDs for the same dongle, depending on whether you are using the 32-bit mode under OS X (where Eve3 is used) or 64-bit under OS X (where the Sentinel component is used). This appears to have been for compatibility. Under Windows, only the Sentinel component is used.

That means that the same dongle ID is reported under 64-bit OS X and any flavour of Windows. The different dongle ID (from Eve3) is only reported under OS X in 32-bit mode.

CS can and should be providing license keys for both dongle IDs even through 10.1. There's nothing wrong with the dongle and getting users to needlessly exchange dongles is stupid.

CS also seem to recklessly suggest this without checking on the impact. If you, for example, have any dongle-locked plugins from developers who have closed up shop, that dongle exchange will mean you can no longer use those addons.

4dartist
09-15-2011, 07:53 AM
CS can and should be providing license keys for both dongle IDs even through 10.1. There's nothing wrong with the dongle and getting users to needlessly exchange dongles is stupid.

CS also seem to recklessly suggest this without checking on the impact. If you, for example, have any dongle-locked plugins from developers who have closed up shop, that dongle exchange will mean you can no longer use those addons.

Wow, thanks for the information. Yes it would nice if they just gave out the info so I could keep using the same dongle. I have 1 myself and a few for work. Fortunately, I'm not a very plugin heavy user. I don't think I have any that refer to the dongle at the moment, so I should be ok. The CS rep didn't warn me though, but once I asked him about it, he said just contact the vendor. I hadn't considered all the plugin venders that have closed shop or non-responsive. Good points.

Phil
09-15-2011, 10:43 AM
I think all the problems with the dongle are SafeNet's problem, not Newtek.

Also, on the PC side, the 64 and 32bit programs are different. That is a security thing.

Not a Newtek thing.

Do you mean that you get separate license keys on the Windows side, for the same dongle? I knew that was implemented during 9.x (at some point), but it was purely for sales/marketing to determine take up of 32-bit vs. 64-bit. There's no security consideration in play there, and nothing mandated by the dongle.

If you mean something else, I'm curious to know what :)

colkai
11-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Resurrectin this thread as I've just tried installing 9.6 64 bit on my laptop and though it reports the same dongle ID, entering my license key which I use for the 32-bit isn't working.
Got a purple duo dongle with the 7.4 sentinel drivers installed.
My 32 bit works just fine, most frustrating!

No indication in the "my products" area that 64 bit needs to be treated differently at all.
Is this another CS fubar or is there some "trick" I need to do?

EDIT: Forgot to mention - tried to register my copy of LW under 64 bit windows as suggested elsewhere.
Guess what? I am not allowed to register it via register.newtek.com - I have to register it via Newtek Europe.
So, I go to newtek europe, when you FINALLY find where the registration info is, well, shock, it directs you straight back to the USA site.

Jeez, I mean, come on guys, will you EVER get your act together on this? Either allow register of products in one place, or at least do NOT have the "correct" registration site pointing to the area you cannot use.

Sigh, I know I shouldn't get stressed over this, but I mean, talk about the run a around!

Phil
11-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Under 9.6, my experience has been that the Windows 32 and 64-bit license code will work with the 9.6.1 64-bit install under OS X. Mac 32-bit will be completely different, though, for the Duo dongles.

Later dongles have a universal license code that works for Windows/Mac in both flavours.

Registration remains a bit of a train-wreck, so pinging customer service and being very insistent that you need a license code for a Duo dongle for 32-bit LW under OS X is the best approach. Some of customer service don't understand and have to be repeatedly told that they need to actually do something. If all else fails, I usually e-mail or PM Chuck because he seems to be able to knock some sense into the CS folks.