PDA

View Full Version : Unweld...?

rcallicotte
06-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Does UNWELD separate a point from the mesh, detached from the mesh? If Unweld does not do this, then what LW command will separate a point from the mesh so I can then further create other geometry.

Blender has a cut command to cut away geometry. Something like this would be welcome as a plugin, too.

rcallicotte
06-26-2011, 10:02 AM
I found this, but it won't load in LW - http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40427

rcallicotte
06-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Found DStorm point splitter, but it won't load in 64-bit. Trying in 32-bit...
http://www_test.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/modeler.htm#PointSplitter

RudySchneider
06-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Unweld is one means to separate a polygon from an object. As shown below, I selected the four vertices of one polygon on a box, and Unwelded them. This allowed me to select the polygon and move it away from the rest of the object.

rcallicotte
06-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks.

UNWELD doesn't work on just one point in a poly or on two or even on three. I need something that splits the point from the mesh - detaches from that point in the mesh, like a tear or a rip.

UNWELD doesn't do this.

rcallicotte
06-26-2011, 11:03 AM
I stand corrected. It didn't show it worked by pulling on the UNWELDed point, but it did show unwelded by moving the poly.

THANKS.

Thanks.

UNWELD doesn't work on just one point in a poly or on two or even on three. I need something that splits the point from the mesh - detaches from that point in the mesh, like a tear or a rip.

UNWELD doesn't do this.

Sensei
06-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Install 32 bit LightWave too.. You can do it without any problems on 64 bit system. And you will have access to 32 bit plugins and it's also up to 8% faster than 64 bit (as long as there is no out of memory situations nor using virtual memory)

In v9.6 and earlier remember to redirect config directory using -c parameter. In LW v10.0+ it's not needed anymore.

rcallicotte
06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks Sensei.

The big difference between Blender RIP and LW UNWELD is these two vertices separated in LW whereas in Blender these stay together, so the rip just rips the polys apart at the line.

Sensei
06-26-2011, 11:36 AM
LW Unweld tool was made in times there was no yet edge support (which were introduced in LW v9.0), so it's working only with points, not edges.

There was made couple plugins to fill this gap. But the easiest way is just select polygons, press ctrl-x and ctrl-v.

rcallicotte
06-26-2011, 11:55 AM
I would prefer a simple tool like Blender RIP.

JeffrySG
06-26-2011, 09:41 PM
You might want to try this free plugin.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40427

Edit - not sure if it works in current lw. I thought there was a plugin for this though. :(

rcallicotte
06-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Thanks Jeffry. I tried it, but it didn't work.

You might want to try this free plugin.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40427

Edit - not sure if it works in current lw. I thought there was a plugin for this though. :(

UnCommonGrafx
06-27-2011, 07:00 AM
And then select the polys on one side and press m(erge). (This would be in response to #8 above, which is what you would want to do after opening your hole.)

Edge bevel does this, as well, but doesn't delete the middle poly.

LW Unweld tool was made in times there was no yet edge support (which were introduced in LW v9.0), so it's working only with points, not edges.

There was made couple plugins to fill this gap. But the easiest way is just select polygons, press ctrl-x and ctrl-v.

rcallicotte
06-27-2011, 07:02 AM
From the image I attached above about RIP, you'll see that rip in the mesh is just that - a straight across rip. No polygons deleted.

Or is that what you're saying?

And then select the polys on one side and press m(erge).

Edge bevel does this, as well, but doesn't delete the middle poly.

UnCommonGrafx
06-27-2011, 07:17 AM
In the image attached, I used edge bevel. As you can see, it splits the area with polygons in the void as opposed to nothing.

Also, in this image I have attempted to duplicate a similar look to yours using as simple a method as possible:Deleting points. The hole below was done in this fashion.

As there is no goal posted, only a technique or a look desired, the options for such a thing abound. In and of itself, this is empty. My question on that would be: what are you going to do next with the ripped area? That's where the technique will clarify itself as worthy or not.

rcallicotte
06-27-2011, 08:34 AM
See the green highlighted edges? These are dissolved, then that hole is patched with quads.

Pretty cool way to do an elbow.

UnCommonGrafx
06-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Ah, so you plan to close that section that has been opened?
EdgeBevel would be a viable option, then, as it would alleviate the need to later add back in the geometry that would close the hole.

And no doubt about it being a cool way to do it.

rcallicotte
06-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks Robert. I'll check out your way to do this with EdgeBevel next time it comes up. Yesterday, I used UnWeld and then Welded the pieces I did not want unwelded. Took more time, but I got the same effect.

Thanks again. :beerchug:

UnCommonGrafx
06-27-2011, 09:13 AM
No problem. And I have to tell you: not my way as much as it is watching others.
Often, trying to match another tool is not what you are looking for as much as a workflow issue of a to b.
Kind of like using scale to move things around. Not the initial thought for the use of scale but boy, does it work well! There are a lot of opportunities for such dual/multi use of the tools in this way. So, when you ask a question about a tool from another app, most of us want to move you on to the next task you plan to do as that will affect the tool of use for that moment.

rcallicotte
06-27-2011, 09:53 AM
So, when you ask a question about a tool from another app, most of us want to move you on to the next task you plan to do as that will affect the tool of use for that moment.

...and, yah-hoo, do I learn Lightwave better this way. Fantastic.

I love the help from everyone. Thanks.