PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave > Web 3D

mrdarklight
10-07-2003, 04:52 PM
I am currently evaluating different 3D packages, and one of the primary points of interest is Web 3D. So far, I haven't been able to find a package that fulfills all my requirements. What I've found so far is this:

Lightwave exports to Shockwave 3D. This is fine, except I don't have Director, and we can't afford it and Lightwave at the same time.

Cult 3D seems to be a good alternative, but it doesn't import Lightwave files. I may be able to export to .3DS and then import those into Cult 3D, but I don't know yet.

Maya is more expensive than Lightwave, but exports to Cult 3D.

3DS Max export to Cult 3D, including animations. But it is more expensive than LW or Maya.

So what I need is this: The ability to make 3D environments that can be viewed and navigated on the web, with a fairly high degree of interaction. For instance, you should be able to click a button and have some 3D animation take place, and you should be able to move from one area of the 3D scene to the other.

Any ideas?

riki
10-07-2003, 08:09 PM
I beleive Swift 3d from electric rain now comes in the form of a LW Plugin that lets you export SWF files.

mrdarklight
10-08-2003, 11:54 AM
I'm aware of this solution, and also Flicker. I was hoping to find one that allowed some more interaction - if you want to fly around a scene independently, for example, you can't do that with a Swift-generated scene.

webshot
10-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Actually you can. But you will need to export it to flash. Which the new version of swift has some awesome flash capabilities. I am currently doing something similar with our website. The reason I chose to not go with Swift is purely because of the modelling capabilities. Which swift has next to none. Another option is plasma by Discreet. But you will still need flash. You do not necessarily need Director to create 3d interaction.

Jockomo
10-09-2003, 09:29 PM
I have Swift 3d and I don't think it is what you want. It is not much more than a cell shader with a .swf saver. It saves each frame as an individual full frame, rather than animate the splines in the image.

You might want to check out VRML. VRML is to 3d graphics what HTML is to documents. Well that was the idea anyway. It has alot of potential but never really took off like HTML.

Lightwave has a VRML saver that allows you to save out 3D objects and scenes to the VRML format. It is a recognised format for most if not all browsers, although you usually have to download and install a plugin for the browser to view the content.

You can find more information, as well as some tutorials HERE (http://www.tinkering.net/tutorials.html)

Good luck

mrdarklight
10-10-2003, 12:24 AM
RE: Swift3D

Unless Swift3D has changed radically since I used it last, it isn't going to do what I want. If I as a user want to "walk" around the scene anywhere, and view it from any viewpoint, this is not a feature Swift 3D can provide. Swift 3D, as the other poster said, is essentially a cel shader that exports to Flash.

RE: VRML

I am REALLY reluctant to trust VRML. It has never worked to my satisfaction, and the image quality is usually terrible. Cult 3D is essentially everything I ever wanted out of VRML - but no Lightwave support (yet). Plus it's fairly expensive.

iluvatar
10-10-2003, 08:26 AM
you could also try Adobe Atmosphere, free demo available i guess... this program was made specially for your needs... if you're only creating 3D websites, LW isn't the best solution i think