PDA

View Full Version : Unexpectedly received lightwave 10

a sandwhich
06-23-2011, 01:44 PM
About two years ago I bought the student version of 9.6 off the site journeyed. Today in the mail I received a full commercial version of lightwave 10, but I never ordered/bought it. I don't remember entering in any contests, what is going on? Am I going to be charged for this?

Dexter2999
06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Two years ago was the period they began the CORE program. If you had purchased LW at that time there was a certain period where people who purchased before the announcement were "grandfathered" in.

The upgrade should be free. I am surprised that it was applied to an EDU license however. And, bottom line, if anyone ever sends you something you didn't order you shouldn't be legally indebted for it.

a sandwhich
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Ok thanks. I think I remember trying do something with core, but I don't remember the outcome. So does this mean I can make use of the features of the commercial version such as selling models?

a sandwhich
06-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Also, when upgrading from the student to the full, would it be better to do a clean install, or just use the upgrade feature.

Dexter2999
06-23-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't know about the EDU full version legalities. I will leave that for someone else. I know in the BETA there were very insistant on clean installations. But those are really just independent folders since it isn't like LW does any real registry stuff.

a sandwhich
06-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Hmm. I didn't recieve a dongle with this. Does that mean I should use my old one?

a sandwhich
06-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I am thinking this is just an upgrade/update to my old student version. I am not sure though. Is there anyway I can find out?

Dexter2999
06-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Upgrades still use the old dongle.
Check your "My Products" under product registration for more info.

a sandwhich
06-23-2011, 07:09 PM
"Server Error in '/' Application. An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below."

I keep getting that whenever I try. The rest of the page reveals it to be a mysql bug.

Dexter2999
06-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Try customer service

eagleeyed
06-24-2011, 12:07 AM
I would definately contact customer service to make sure, if you purchased the Educational Version of v9, then it would be rather safe to say your copy of Lightwave 10/Core would be educational aswell, and as such no commercial work can be done with it.

You can purchase upgrades from EDU to FULL (or at least could with v9, I now have a full license of v10 so havent checked), its typically the price difference between the two versions, but definately check with them before you do anything commercial with it.

safetyman
06-24-2011, 05:18 AM
"Server Error in '/' Application. An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below."

I keep getting that whenever I try. The rest of the page reveals it to be a mysql bug.

I got the same error last night, so it's not just you.

SBowie
06-24-2011, 08:03 AM
The website seemed a bit flaky, on again off again, last night. Seems to be ok now though.

littlewaves
06-24-2011, 08:34 AM
So Newtek ACTUALLY DELIVERED something they DIDN'T promise? They've really got their priorities all wrong these days haven't they?

;)

a sandwhich
06-24-2011, 08:56 AM
I contacted customer service and I am awaiting a response email. The page still returns the error for me, so I am hoping they will cover that in the email.

a sandwhich
06-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Got a response back rather quickly. Apparently it is an upgrade license for my student edition.

Spinland
06-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Glad to see this thread. I just came home and was surprised to see a LW 10 package waiting for me (since to my knowledge I didn't order it). I was in a beta test group and suchlike, but I didn't realize a free upgrade was part of the deal.

Has there been any resolution to the mentioned error? I haven't had time to try this upgrade out, but if I'm only going to encounter the same errors I might as well wait for a fix.

Amurrell
06-27-2011, 07:49 AM
For me, years ago, there was no difference between the educational edition and full edition except for the price. At least I'm pretty sure there wasn't, and if there was, I didn't miss anything :)

a sandwhich
06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Has there been any resolution to the mentioned error? I haven't had time to try this upgrade out, but if I'm only going to encounter the same errors I might as well wait for a fix.

Well, for me the error has been fixed. I don't know about other users, but I do not experience an error page anymore, I get the page I requested.