PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle rigger worth it?

vector
06-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, Iīm considering buying vehicle rigger (it looks amazing) but I would like to know what you think about it... if it worths the money you spent or there are tons of bugs or limits not specified in walen.se

Thanks.

Victor

dwburman
06-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I used it for a project last year. I don't think I could've done the project without it, but I have a bit to learn about rigging.

I ran into a couple of problems, though. One of the problems was probably do to the big turns I had the car doing. After baking the keys, the car (which was parented to a null) and front wheels would flip 360 degrees in one frame. Once I was aware of the problem, it was an easy fix. Just open the graph editor and look for the sections where a curve jumps to the bottom instead of going over 360, select them and slide them up where they should go.

I also had a problem where the wheels would go through the road, again after baking. I tracked it down to the wheel's controls basing their height on the car's position instead of the wheel's position. I was able to fix it and everything worked great.

I don't remember if I brought the latter issue up to Johan or not. I did email him a few times on other issues and he was pretty good at getting back to me.

My workflow was to animate nulls and have the rig follow the null around, rather than driving the car around.

http://dwburman.com/work/animation/62-uva-car-races.html

You might notice there's bit of vibration on the cars. I think it's because the height map was pretty shallow (should've been black to white and not gray to lighter gray) and the tires were running over every little pixel. I could probably have smoothed it out by making an HDR version of the image I was using or by creating it with greater range, but I kind of liked the vibration.

Getting the cars to come off the starting line smoothly was a challenge, and I think I did a better job on another animation that isn't online. I also found that spinning the tires fast on the start line caused pixels to fly off the tires and spread out through the cars when using Photoreal Motion blur (not a Vehicle Rigger issue though), but I worked around that issue by enveloping blur amount so it was off until the tires slowed down.

It was worth it for me. :)

vector
06-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Dwburman, your comments are gold for me :) , thank you very much. It looked(looks!) a powerful plugin but I needed a comment like yours. Itīs not very expensive but itīs interesting to hear its imperfections can be fixed. Probably I will buy it.

Victor

monovich
06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I've used it as well and found it to be totally worth it.

Sometimes its actually a bit overkill, if all you are doing is driving a car on a simple surface, but once you start wanting suspension and undulating terrain it gets indispensable.

vector
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I imagine myself animating what I have to do and I see tons of hours that I think could be less using this plugin. I have bought it this morning but I havenīt received any link yet... I canīt wait :) Thank you both for your opinions :)

Victor

Caveboy
06-23-2011, 12:58 PM
I bought my copy in 2009 and never got around to actually using it. NOW I have a project for it. Their customer support is top notch! I was missing some files and I had them by the following day!

hunter
06-23-2011, 03:19 PM
We use it and it works great until you need the car to roll over. ;) Other than that though :thumbsup:

RudySchneider
06-23-2011, 04:07 PM
We use it and it works great until you need the car to roll over. ;) Other than that though :thumbsup:

What about begging, or playing dead? Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

dwburman
06-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Glad to help. :D

I also used his gamedevice plugin on my project. I animated the null around the track and parented the rig to that. Then I played the timeline (with autokey on) and I used the game device plugin tied to the weight shift controller to animate the car's body weight as it went around the track. Of course, I had to clean up the result in the graph editor. I also used gamedevice to fire the break lights.

vector
06-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I also used his gamedevice plugin on my project. I animated the null around the track and parented the rig to that. Then I played the timeline (with autokey on) and I used the game device plugin tied to the weight shift controller to animate the car's body weight as it went around the track. Of course, I had to clean up the result in the graph editor. I also used gamedevice to fire the break lights.

When I watched the video I supposed this technique was possible. Nice to see that point confirmed

Ryste3d
06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
I tested it once and it works fine. I even had the car to roll over. But it was not possible to have the back tire to spin and the front wheels slowly glide. Last in this video test:

http://vimeo.com/16390540

vector
06-28-2011, 02:18 AM
OK, I received the email yesterday and I couldnīt wait any more :)

At first, I get confused but videotutorials by Johan at Vimeo helped me a lot, althoug I miss a complete videotutorial from placing pivots to animating, step by step.

I spent a couple of hours till I got my car running correctly, because at the first frames wheels went to the center of the body car and frame by frame they were going to their correct place and finally got ok :S Iīm not sure why it happened but i think itīs due the keyframes created (wheels/body car) before apply the plugin... anyway, now it runs correctly.

Victor

dwburman
06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah the fact that it takes a few frames for the wheels to spring into place before the motion is baked make F9 renders problematic. I ended up doing an F10 render of a few frames to get a good idea of what's going on. I haven't tried it with VPR.

raw-m
08-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi all. Bringing the post back, has anyone tried this on a mac, LW10.1? Want to check before buying.

archijam
08-23-2011, 09:32 AM
The biggest issue is that you have to use a displacement based terrain (could be invisible, of course) .. if that suits, then it's great.

Not sure if the car can leave the ground, never tried that .. though you could perhaps fake it by again using an invisible terrain ..

Johan is some kind of humble plugin demi-god.

Oh and I think you get the gamepad controller functionality with it .. ?

raw-m
08-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. For this project it's basically for a race circuit so sounds good. I've read the Gamepad plug is PC only, unless it's being updated in the new beta mentioned on his site. As long as it's mac/10.1 happy, so am I!

Ps. I see you can't flip the rig, anyone tried jumps?

dwburman
08-24-2011, 07:07 PM
I haven't tried it in LW10.1. I had problems with it in LW9.6, but that was before I swapped out the x1900 graphics card that was overheating for something that doesn't cause general system instability in the same way, so I don't want to blame the vehicle rigger plugin for that.

dianmozokov
08-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Maybe this plugin is very good solution for car riggin,but seem outdate.No new version and fix.No additional improvments on plugin.

raw-m
08-25-2011, 02:16 AM
I've emailed the developer and will post if I hear anything.

On a slight aside, it has this (http://vimeo.com/1002000) fantastic feature, setting up some nulls and the objects simply animates between them. It's all setup in 10 seconds - check out the city! Do you know of anything similar in LW that is that simple to setup?

vector
08-25-2011, 03:24 AM
I missed that video 8·O !!!

AAAAAaamazing result. Thanks

Vector

Lewis
08-25-2011, 05:09 AM
hmm, that w_throttle looks very nice, is that part of vehicle rigger or separate plugin ?

archijam
08-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Its included. Very nice.

He can also give you a similar scene, I have it somewhere.

lardbros
08-25-2011, 06:25 AM
He's a genius... great looking plugin. It's a shame the car rigs can't get turned upside down, we'd give it a go if you could :D

archijam
08-25-2011, 07:28 AM
He's a genius... great looking plugin. It's a shame the car rigs can't get turned upside down, we'd give it a go if you could :D

I agree on one hand, but since usually a car turns over at the end of the car animation (crash, stunt, whatever), you could in many cases freeze the model there and animate the last frames in the brute force way ...

The one limitation of that simple throttle scene is that the cars do not slow down at the corners, I believe, tho maybe you can fix this with more markers (just from memory) ..

lardbros
08-25-2011, 09:53 AM
I agree on one hand, but since usually a car turns over at the end of the car animation (crash, stunt, whatever), you could in many cases freeze the model there and animate the last frames in the brute force way ...

The one limitation of that simple throttle scene is that the cars do not slow down at the corners, I believe, tho maybe you can fix this with more markers (just from memory) ..

Very true :D Better than hand animating the whole way through!

raw-m
08-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Archijam, tried it on LW10.1 yet?

calilifestyle
08-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Yup i was hoping for an update. But what you going to do.

archijam
08-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Well, we are talking about mr. octane and cryengine exporter writer too .. both free.

The more feedback Joahn receives, the more likely he is to act on it.

Luke, for example (vRoom dev) told be he gets very little feedback at all.

walfridson
08-26-2011, 03:01 AM
Hey boys
It's been tested on 10.1 on windows and working good.

raw-m
10-25-2011, 05:24 AM
On a slightly different issue, how do you peeps texture your tracks? Do you model your tracks first and add a texture map after or something else? I'm doing a similar job and scratching my head a bit as to get a nicely textured track and for it to look nice and crisp the texture map would have to be massive! I'm now thinking about just doing a piece of the track and referencing the textures to an animated null for one of the angles, but again the textures would have to be quite large.

vector
10-25-2011, 06:57 AM
I think a node of D Pontonier could help you: Spline map

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

maybe playing with alpha
Vector

raw-m
10-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Great idea vector, thanks. Unfortunately it does nothing but crash LW for me (LW 10.1/mac 10.7.2). Any other techniques greatly appreciated!

vector
10-25-2011, 08:20 AM
There is an old tutorial by Ben Smith in 3D Total. Iīll take a look to the magazines

Vector

vector
10-26-2011, 01:04 AM
OK, I read that tutorial. What Ben Smith (http://www.redstar3d.com/index_home.asp) used were nulls atached to the wheels with a particle emitter. Hypervoxels with sprite type were used to drop a black track being the emitter 0 m in y size... it could help you...

Vector

raw-m
10-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks for looking, vector, will take a look. Sounds useful for turning on/off tyre marks as well.

erikals
10-26-2011, 09:05 AM

you use dynamics for that...! :]

erikals
10-26-2011, 09:09 AM
On a slightly different issue, how do you peeps texture your tracks? Do you model your tracks first and add a texture map after or something else? I'm doing a similar job and scratching my head a bit as to get a nicely textured track and for it to look nice and crisp the texture map would have to be massive! I'm now thinking about just doing a piece of the track and referencing the textures to an animated null for one of the angles, but again the textures would have to be quite large.

u could try MarkerPen,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH2ImaBe8yc&list=PLD495DCA5001810EB&index=44

hunter
10-26-2011, 10:33 AM
you use dynamics for that...! :]
Except when you're doing a reconstruction and it has to rollover in a very specific way. That's where LW dynamics tend to fall down.
And I use Marker Pen for skid marks. Works great, a little fussy sometimes but good.

Here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-nbQiJOJeg

The Dommo
04-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Hi,

Anybody know if the LW Vehicle Rigger works in LW 11??

Sorry to hassle you. Need to buy this plugin but not much point if it doesn't work in v11.

Thanks,
Dom

raw-m
04-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Can't speak for PC but doesn't fully work 64bit on the Mac.

The Dommo
04-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks for that input.

Forgot to say we're PC and running 64bit...

The Dommo
04-12-2012, 12:59 PM
FYI - Johan the plugin author replied to my email enquiry.

He has tested the plugin with bot a car and a truck rig in LW11 for me and confirms it all seems to work fine.

Aside from the fact that he wrote the plugin, he currently is working at Cinesite, so I reckon that makes him a trustworthy ally :D

erikals
04-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Cine-what... ? ꞉P