PDA

View Full Version : LW10 Feature request - updated dithering options for linear workflow

funk
06-21-2011, 09:06 AM
With lightwave's new linear workflow, many people have begun to notice lightwave's default dithering. Just render a plain black background in sRGB color space with dithering enabled (ctrl+f8 dithering intensity normal) and you will see the dithering. This was not noticeable to the eye before linear workflow.

We need dithering closer to photoshop's "add noise" filter. Instead of disabled/normal/2x/4x, we need a percentage (so we could do 25% of normal etc).
We also need more dither patterns (uniform & gaussian). The current dither is very uniform and repeats itself. You can clearly see the repeating pattern which doesn't look very appealing.

Dithering is good and helps remove banding, but we just need more options that look nicer!

note: this post was originally in the HC forum but I moved it here so all could see

Tobian
06-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Well much like AS it would be good if it was simply CS aware, and was applied with the CS in mind.

funk
06-21-2011, 03:25 PM
It's more than that though. Even if the dithering played with CS better, if you adjusted gamma in an external app you'd see the repeating dither pattern again.

I want a random dither with an intensity value:
In Photoshop try ADD NOISE > 0.10% gaussian/monochrome. It removes banding, but the dithering can't be seen.

Lewis
06-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Agreed, I'm turning off dithering 'coz of that reason but then have banding problems on my Backgrounds, so I often end up removing background gradients with similar colors in PShop :(.

Tobian
06-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Wow that was way too strong for me, definitely can be seen!

Red_Oddity
06-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Some other noise patterns would be nice. Maybe add additive and stochastic / monte carlo.

jasonwestmas
06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
The default dithering looked so odd to me, that I thought it was a bug. :D Softer than normal effect is in order.

lardbros
06-29-2011, 05:33 AM
Agreed... this needs fixing!! Along with the anti-aliasing issues too... please Newtek!!

Brazilian
10-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Yes the dithering is fugly and needs to be addressed. For now I have to render out as higher bitdepth images (like SGI .rgb 16bpp) and bring them into After Effects and let it dither them down.