PDA

View Full Version : AWN - LightWave 10 Review by Willam Vaughan

Jörg
06-21-2011, 07:44 AM
LightWave 10 Review: A New Beginning from the LightWave master Willam Vaughan.

Nice to see another great review about LW10 - here is the link:

http://www.awn.com/articles/3d/lightwave-10-review-new-beginning

cheers

JJ

WilliamVaughan
06-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the plug!

OnlineRender
06-21-2011, 10:03 AM
good read , MG you are now officially famous ! :2guns:

erikals
06-21-2011, 03:52 PM
a nice article! :]

Titus
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
The Off-Axis camera rig looks great. It's a shame there has been not many stereoscopic projects lately.

littlewaves
06-23-2011, 04:38 AM
I have enormous respect for William Vaughan and his tremendous positive contribution to the Lightwave community without which I would have given up on lightwave long ago. However I don't think you can honestly call this article a 'review'

bazsa73
06-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Your tutorials are real gems William, should be taught at the University of How to Make Tutorials.

WilliamVaughan
06-23-2011, 08:00 AM
I have enormous respect for William Vaughan and his tremendous positive contribution to the Lightwave community without which I would have given up on lightwave long ago. However I don't think you can honestly call this article a 'review'

Call it what ever you'd like. I was asked to write about my experience with the new features.... and... that is what I did. Just because my experience doesn't match yours doesn't make the review any less valid. Feel free to write a "review" on LW and I'm sure one of the many sites would be happy to publish it. Everyone has their own take on things... I'd love to hear yours.

Good luck!

biliousfrog
06-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Call it what ever you'd like. I was asked to write about my experience with the new features.... and... that is what I did. Just because my experience doesn't match yours doesn't make the review any less valid. Feel free to write a "review" on LW and I'm sure one of the many sites would be happy to publish it. Everyone has their own take on things... I'd love to hear yours.

Good luck!

I had the same opinion to be honest. It's nothing to do with your experience it just seems a bit one-sided to have Lightwave reviewed by a 'Lightwave Evangelist'. It comes across as very biased. Your opinion is very valid and I'd hope that you'd be critical of anything you dislike but it hardly seems like a fair review when you've been so tightly linked to the software and the company behind it for many years.

littlewaves
06-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Good luck!

I'm sorry if I caused offence. I just mean a review should be a balanced appraisal of the whole app (good and bad) and not just focus on the shiny stuff.

I don't for a minute suggest you shouldn't voice your enthusiasm for the software. I'm glad you do and I'd love to see a whole new series of your videos on new features in LW10.

I would however be genuinely interested in your own take on current 'issues' surrounding Newtek and lightwave and any concerns you have regarding it's future.

WilliamVaughan
06-23-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm sorry if I caused offence.

No offense taken.

Netvudu
06-23-2011, 11:50 AM
I thought the review was very nice.
Yes, it does point Lightwave strong points, just like most of Maya and Max reviews out there. There´s enough fire being taken by Lightwave mainly coming from the Evil Monopoly Empire marketing machine, to add our own.

I don´t see any damage on praising what´s good as long as it´s true. And the 3d gods know that all of the praising in that article is absolutely true, which is more than I can say from other apps out there. Of course there are weak points not being pointed, which is ok for me as long as you don´t mention them as strong points or issues properly solved.
The only think I thought it was misleading is the "A new beginning" title, because it made it look like this was more like CORE. Something like a new rewrite, which clearly it is not.
I must say 10 is by far the best LW version I´ve used. Of course, it is improvable, but what it delivers, it does so in spades.

Cryonic
06-23-2011, 12:23 PM

Not all reviews have to go into the negatives of something to be a review. If asked to cover new features, then I wouldn't expect the reviewer to go into something that wasn't part of the new features :)

Snosrap
06-26-2011, 04:35 PM
There´s enough fire being taken by Lightwave mainly coming from the Evil Monopoly Empire marketing machine, to add our own.

Seriously? They don't even know LW exists. Nice article William.

jeric_synergy
06-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Not all reviews have to go into the negatives of something to be a review. If asked to cover new features, then I wouldn't expect the reviewer to go into something that wasn't part of the new features :)
Agreed. :thumbsup:

And I'd certainly forgotten about that SpriteGen thing.

Netvudu
06-27-2011, 04:53 AM

Oh gods, you are so very wrong... I can ensure you they do know it exists. And it bugs them so much that some professionals insist on using a "stone age" software that keeps on dealing consistent quality and meet deadlines that their own "star" products fail to meet by far.

torturebori007
06-28-2011, 08:23 AM

Yeah you are not lying. Where I go to school, they use max for teaching 3d. And no one there has ever even heard of Lightwave so I had to show them. I tell you the first thing that always pops out of peoples mouth is that they love how LW has words instead of a million ICONS for tool. I have always loved that about LW...them icons are nuts.

Snosrap
06-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Oh gods, you are so very wrong... I can ensure you they do know it exists. And it bugs them so much that some professionals insist on using a "stone age" software that keeps on dealing consistent quality and meet deadlines that their own "star" products fail to meet by far.
We had a Solutions Engineer and Regional Sales Manager from Autodesk (not VAR's) come visit us for a day to evaluate our pipeline and make recommendations. When they met with our group to evaluate our tools and listen to some of our ongoing issues, neither one of them were familiar with LW. I showed them some of our work and they were very impressed with the level of render quality and were interested in render times. I fired up FPrime and simultaneously rendered 4 camera views and their jaws hit the floor! Of course when we got their report out, they recommended 3DS Max.:D

Afalk
06-29-2011, 10:41 AM
@Snosrap : Sadly any company drone er rep that is, has a nescessary 1st duty to their in house package -- but even so I would have CHERISHED those expressions !

jeric_synergy
06-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Shoulda turned on the webcam and recorded them.

Snosrap
06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
- but even so I would have CHERISHED those expressions !
Yep it was very satisfying.

Hopper
06-29-2011, 06:41 PM
A few of my co-workers have been having mechanical issues with their vehicles recently, and it got me thinking about how reliable my truck has been over the years. In 1999, I purchased my very first brand new vehicle, a Chevrolet Silverado Z71 Sportside pickup truck.

Hah .. same here. I've always driven my trusty old '76 280z's until 2000 and bought my first new car - a Silverado 1500 (to haul my trusty old Z's). 180,000 miles later, it's never had a single problem and have yet to do a single bit of maintenance on it. Last time I had it checked out, there was still plenty of pad on the ORIGINAL brakes, transmission is still tight as a drum, not a single leak, and still haven't even changed a belt. The AC is even blowing cold air still.

I had never really trusted American made cars until now... the thing is a beast.

Now if I can just figure out how to take off the 100mph governor... :D

Edz
07-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Your tutorials are real gems William, should be taught at the University of How to Make Tutorials.

Once again bazsa, I agree. I'm a never really used a graphics program B4 in my life type user, and I wouldn't give a rats A about review bias. The only thing that convinced me to buy this program was the huge library explaining how LW works. Even my son can learn from them.

As a new user, all that concerns me is to dedicate myself to learning lw 10 well, and teaching my boy the ideas I develop. And then there's the bonus that raw potential of this progam is equal to the potential of nodal rendering... orders of magnitude.

Let me also pont out that because of these videos, I don't have to go to university to learn how to used the program... IMO this is marketing advantage, and if I were management, I might take advantage of this library, and the fantastic potential of the program. How? research what percentile of avarage users out there might buy LW 10 given the library and perhaps opening up the parameters of educational to include the average non student user.