PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph 2011 Vancouver

c.1
06-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Anyone thinking of coming to Vancouver for Siggraph?
Do it!
Vancouver is beautiful, I have lived and worked here for over 40 years and couldn't imagine living anyplace else (maybe Maui)
Here is a short list of places to go while you are in Vancouver (all within an hour by transit, our traffic SUCKS here)
Stanley Park, The Vancouver Aquarium, UBC Museum of Anthropology,Granville Island, Grouse Mountain, The Capalino Suspension Bridge,Chinatown, Gastown(touristy), Wreck Beach(nudey beach:devil:)....the list goes on and on.
We have some of the best food here (I live an hour out of town and drive in just for lunch it's that good) and the best sushi in the world.
Lots of brewpubs and more than a dozen wineries just outside of town.
Oh yeah Siggraph should be awesome as well!

Rayek
06-20-2011, 09:03 PM
...and don't forget to visit the authentic Japanese garden at UBC while you are at it (one of only five outside of Japan).

I am completely stoked: we moved to Vancouver almost 5 years ago, and I always wanted to go to Siggraph; and now Siggraph is coming to me! Rejoice!

Speaking of sushi: Juno on Davie/Richards is one of the better places (real genuine Japanese chef and local/organic ingredients) - I love their egg nigiri, which is prepared by hand, and not the ugly foul-tasting chemical food-plant stuff they use in most of the other sushi places. The rest of their menu is quite 'Nouvelle Japonaise', and very tasty. Avoid most other Davie sushi places, though. My wife and I tried them all.

Also: great day trips to the Sunshine Coast and islands, if you have time left and want to enjoy the awesome natural surroundings a bit more. Or visit Vancouver Island. Even better: combine Siggraph with a roadtrip through the Canadian Rockies - it will blow your mind: awe-inspiring.

mikala
06-21-2011, 08:16 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120109

Netvudu
06-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Anyone thinking of coming to Vancouver for Siggraph?

We have some of the best food here (I live an hour out of town and drive in just for lunch it's that good) and the best sushi in the world.

*ahem* Im sure Vancouver is fantastic and Im really excited about going there for Siggraph (Im going indeed), but Ive been to Japan a few years ago, so Im afraid sushi-wise Vancouver will be hard-pressed to improve on that quality :D

RudySchneider
06-22-2011, 10:27 AM
If you're into exotic, delicious, and different Indian food, you must try Vij's (If you're into exotic, delicious, and different Indian food, you must try Vij's while in Vancouver!) while in Vancouver!

c.1
06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
*ahem* Im sure Vancouver is fantastic and Im really excited about going there for Siggraph (Im going indeed), but Ive been to Japan a few years ago, so Im afraid sushi-wise Vancouver will be hard-pressed to improve on that quality :D

Ok how about the best sushi in North America!

And for GREAT steak try the "Hamilton Street Grill" 16 oz of joy

Rayek
06-22-2011, 08:11 PM

Actually, I have had scores of Japanese students in my classes, and it seems a lot of Japanese like to come to Vancouver for the good quality and inexpensive sushi.

hrgiger
06-25-2011, 04:25 AM
I really wanted to go but the cheapest airline ticket I can find round trip is $700. Add in hotel and all other travel related expenses and its just unfeasible right now.