PDA

View Full Version : Blender: Project London Will this impact the LW market share?

Dexter2999
06-18-2011, 08:53 PM
I had looked at the homepage and the stills for the project using Open Source software. This is sincerely not an attempt to promote a competing product so I will not provide links and whatnot. If you want to know what it is Google it yourself. If you have seen it, what is your opinion of the level of work?

To me, it seems to be marching straight into territory that LW nearly monopolized in that it was low budget/no budget effects. I don't think the quality of Blender was ever particularly a question as much as the usability. But with a recent overhaul to make it more appealing to the masses, and its use in projects such as this, does anyone else see this moving to further trim down the LW population?

Personally, I think this precisely justifies the recent move to increase higher end professional tools and the CORE movement (resulting in price hikes.) Pricepoint and the hobby market won't keep LW afloat much longer if this sort of competition increases.

And if moderators find this as promotion for a competing product, I apollogize and understand if this get's locked/deleted.

Titus
06-19-2011, 09:52 AM
IMO, if LW is loosing ground, it's not because of the other programs. I hate to model in Blender, but love to do it with LW. I hate to animate with LW, but love to do it with Blender. Both programs complement very well.