PDA

View Full Version : folds in drapes

lreyes
06-18-2011, 10:35 AM
How does one make the cloth fold like cloth over a ball. I can make the cloth drape over a ball, but the cloth does not have folds as it settles down over the ball. I tripled my cloth to have more ploys, but it still a plane straight drop after it drapes the ball.

nickdigital
06-18-2011, 12:01 PM
You could try adding more areas of details with the Wrinkle plug-in. So instead of just adding more geometry all over you put it in specific areas.

lreyes
06-18-2011, 02:21 PM
where is this plug in, is it in modeler or layout. I can not find it as Wrinkle? thanks

evenflcw
06-18-2011, 03:33 PM
No wrinkles. Perhaps you don't have high enough resolution and too much stretchiness? What about friction on ball vs cloth? There are lots of parameters and not enough users. Try searching this and the old forum. The old forum had some great posts on the subject just before it was replaced. It should be available from somewhere.

That said, the algorithms in ClothFX are from the previous century so don't expect super realistic or speedy results up to todays standards. But it is still (sadly) the most realistic plugin of the FX-bunch.

PS. Wrinkle I believe might be a reference to a commercial TrueArts plugin which is basically a bevel tool. Ie, it adds detail and you can control inset, offset and segments. So despite what the name suggests it doesn't magically create (nice) wrinkles. The suggestion is really about adding detail to the mesh where you want the wrinkles to appear, perhaps even bias the mesh wireframe so they get a certain appareance. So just use any tool to add the detail. Personally I think that might be a lost cause since the dynamics is far too unpredictable and a natural winkle pattern far too intricate. But I never tried it. (Almost) Everything is worth a try.

nickdigital
06-19-2011, 09:31 AM
where is this plug in, is it in modeler or layout. I can not find it as Wrinkle? thanks

Sorry, I should have been more specific. As evenflcw said, it's the TrueArt plug-in but you could add more detail with the native Modeler tools too. Using this method is more about giving ClothFX varied geometry to work with versus making an 100% accurate simulation.

Ztreem
06-19-2011, 02:48 PM
First you have to have enough geometry to get wrinkles then in the clothfx settings you have to lower the stretch limit to something low like 0.001-1%. Then you also have to have a high compress stress value like 200-5000%.
you should also have some higher spring value like 500-5000%
Hopefully this will help you on the way.

lreyes
06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
I will try the last poster advise..thanks