PDA

View Full Version : En-Masse Automatic Sizing . . .

Matt
10-07-2003, 10:19 AM
This may be too problem specific, but I come across the need to do this a lot.

When you have a whole bunch of surfaces that are the same, but need the texture maps moving to slightly different positions, I have to open up each and every 'T' button just to click 'Automatic Sizing'.

A right-click option to do this on either all texture maps, all procedurals are both would save me soooooooooo much time!

Would be reasonably simple to implement too!

Cheers
Matt

P.S. Would make a nice v8 workflow enhancement ;)

Matt
11-28-2003, 08:06 AM
Just bringing this to the top again in the vain hope that NT might see it and implement it for the 'workflow' release that is version 8!

I needed this functionality again today when I had to automatic size texture maps on about 200 textures - what a pain!

Matt

Matt
11-28-2003, 08:09 AM
. . . the other way I suppose is to make the 'Automatic Size' button aware of how many textures have been selected and 'autosize' for each individually, either will do!

Lightwolf
11-28-2003, 08:09 AM
Hi Matt,
this may be a stupid question, but why don't you use UV maps? (At least, looking at your screenshots).
Cheers,
Mike

Panikos
11-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Having a global-scene autosize button is not a good idea for many reasons.

When using tileable maps, the size is usually fraction of the autosize.

I rarely use autosize.
;)

Matt
11-28-2003, 09:27 AM
I need to sit down with UV maps, I understand the theory, but when I come to use them for anything more complicated than a box they annoy me! :)

Mainly because the 'unfolding' of them creates distorted polys that in turn distort the texture.

What I need are true flat 'Atlas' polys but 'formatted' visually like the other types.

I think I'm missing some fundamentals with them!

- - -

This above suggestion would be a godsend for the example shown.

Panikos - I imagine autosize working as it does now, unless you _want_ it to affect ALL textures.

This is why I said maybe it was too problem specific, maybe I just use LW in a different way to everyone else! :)

Lightwolf
11-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Matt
I need to sit down with UV maps, I understand the theory, but when I come to use them for anything more complicated than a box they annoy me! :)
No need to. When you create them in Modeler, you can apply any of the mapping functions you're used to. In your example, I'd select the first cable end, create a UV-Map for it (Planar), select the next cable end, create UV's (within the same map, same planar options) and so on, until all cable ends are UV mapped. Then you can have them use the same surface, and the same image, but different texture coordinates.
Another way would be to position _one_ cable in layout of course...

Cheers,
Mike

Karmacop
11-28-2003, 10:22 PM
I have a similar sizing request.

When I save out presets for surfaces they are fine for that object. When I load them onto an onbject of a different scale however I have to go through ALL of the procedual and texture layers and edit each of their values. I wish there was a "scale surface" oftion that'd scale all of these values easily.